NCL Life Jacket Policy

Sauer-kraut

As has been stated in several threads lately concerning life jackets. It seems now there is an NCL fleetwide standard about the muster drill. I got this in an email today from my T.A.

Norwegian Cruise Line is rolling out a new muster drill procedure which will not require passengers to bring their life jackets from their staterooms. If you've cruised before, you know that the muster drill is performed either prior to or shortly after the ship departs. Passengers typically are required to report to their assigned muster stations around the ship with their life jackets, where they receive instructions on emergency procedures and practice putting on their life jackets.

With NCL's new procedure, passengers will go directly to their muster stations, without their life jackets. NCL has cited safety concerns related to life jacket straps as well as convenience as reasons for the change.

According to Andy Stuart, Executive Vice President of Global Sales and Passenger Services, "This absolutely maintains our complete focus on safety, but it makes the procedure significantly more convenient for our guests."

All NCL ships except the Pride of America will follow the new procedure.

In my opinion, it is still a good idea to try putting on those life jackets in your cabin at some time, just to get familiar with them. They are the same style that will be on the life boats, so the familiarity exercise is not a waste.

Having the life jackets at the drill did make taking roll easier, since the cabin # was on the jacket and visible to the roll-taker.

One of the traditional photo ops of a cruise down the drain!!

I think another consideration was the whistles. How many people just can't resist to blow the whistle on their life vest. (and then think how many people have blown that whistle since it was new... because I doubt it has been cleaned..lol).

I think it is far safer to leave the life jackets in pristine condition. In an emergency, you won't want to untangle someone else's mess.

They are about as complex to put on as a sweater.

You know how the flight attendant describes what to do in an emergency but does not require your participation in the safety briefing? Well cruise lines are doing the same thing.

Remember, you are a lot more likely to need an oxygen mask in an airplane than a life vest on a cruise ship. And who here has ever tried on an oxygen mask on an airplane during the pre-flight briefing?

As has been stated in several threads lately concerning life jackets. It seems now there is an NCL fleetwide standard about the muster drill. I got this in an email today from my T.A.

Norwegian Cruise Line is rolling out a new muster drill procedure which will not require passengers to bring their life jackets from their staterooms. If you've cruised before, you know that the muster drill is performed either prior to or shortly after the ship departs. Passengers typically are required to report to their assigned muster stations around the ship with their life jackets, where they receive instructions on emergency procedures and practice putting on their life jackets.

With NCL's new procedure, passengers will go directly to their muster stations, without their life jackets. NCL has cited safety concerns related to life jacket straps as well as convenience as reasons for the change.

According to Andy Stuart, Executive Vice President of Global Sales and Passenger Services, "This absolutely maintains our complete focus on safety, but it makes the procedure significantly more convenient for our guests."

All NCL ships except the Pride of America will follow the new procedure.

Best idea since sliced bread. too much of a chance of passengers tripping over loose belts.

we didnt have to bring our lifejackets with us when we were on the Jewel in January in fact we barely had a muster drill....in December on the STAR they were demanding that they actually see people in their lifejackets...as so many did the putting on and taking off before others even got the strap off..so it was quite the difference in 'drills' in a months time...

i think they need to have a FULL Muster Drill for 1st time cruisers that includes the jackets i was so suprised at how many didnt have a clue where to start to even put on in December.

I think it is far safer to leave the life jackets in pristine condition. In an emergency, you won't want to untangle someone else's mess.

They are about as complex to put on as a sweater.

Yeah, but Salty..... you are still going to have to lug that life vest on your upcoming POAm cruise.... the US Coast Guard won't let that ship participate in the new rule.

You will have to carry it (don't put it on...you will be told when to put it on as they want to watch you untangle that mess.....) Then you will be shown how to properly wrap it back up into "pristine" condition.

Hey, blow the whistle during the PA announcement... that really gets them mad because it shows you aren't paying attentiong to the "important announement"

i think they need to have a FULL Muster Drill for 1st time cruisers that includes the jackets i was so suprised at how many didnt have a clue where to start to even put on in December.

I have to agree with you. Perhaps a two tier "muster drill"

Everyone MUST report to their lifeboat station and check in with the Lifeboat leader. That way everyone knows where their location is and that is the end of it.

Then, all those who have previously sailed on that cruise line (Lattitudes, Crown & Anchor, etc.) simply shows their key cards (which list such things) to prove it and then they can leave.

Those who have not sailed on that line before would have to remain and go through the entire briefing.

I know some will say that if you have gone through it on another line that should be sufficent. Two reasons why:

1.) It would encourage past guests to sail the same line... another "perk" of Lattitude membership.

2.) All lines do muster drills a little differently and some procedures may not be exactly the same.

Sounds like a good idea, Starfish. (of course the POAm would probably be exempt from that because of US Coast Guard rules.)

this is a great idea. I remember my first muster drill. I was so preoccupied with trying to unravel the thing, that i forgot to step up and over the raised doorway. fell flat on my butt.

Then while listening to the instructions, it seemed people were more focussed on trying to put on their life vest, than actually listening to the instructions. Take away the distraction, so pax will be more likely to listen to what is being said.

Archived