Formal Question

aberfiprep21

Hey all,

I was just wondering. What exactly does a lesbian who doesnt like to wear womens clothing wear on formal night? My entire wardrobe is mens clothes *with the except of my bras, lol. So help me out with my dilemna please and thank you.

My partner is butch and we've been wondering the same thing. She mostly just wears dockers and oxford shirts. I've been perusing photo galleries, but haven't seen anything that would answer the question. We'd appreciate the help too, please!

I have been on 30 cruises with my partner of 35 years and I don't think it would be approiate, not to dress up on formal night, should you desire to eat in the dinning room. However, you can eat in the other informal eateries or eat in your cabin. I have seen many people not dressed up on formal night, but again not in th dinning room. The other option would be to go on a ship that does not have formal night. What ever you chose, I am sure you will enjoy. A cruise is the way to go. Haappy crusing, Joe

Think about what you would wear to a more upscale evening wedding. How about some black trousers and a blazer? Maybe even sparkle it up a bit with a nice pin. Or, think about what some of the celebrities wear to these award shows. Not all the women are in evening gowns.

I've seen women in what I would call modified tuxes before. The straight women I've seen tend to wear the traditional pants and a double breasted jacket, both very tailored and darted, without a shirt underneath- I'm assuming there's a camisole or something under there, but never bothered to investigate;) - with high heals. Think Jodie Foster at the Oscars. The women couples that we've traveled with did a suit with out tie for one, dressy pants and top for the other - sequin-type Blousy thing that you probably wouldn't want. But the well cut suit/ dress shirt option should work well- I'd probaly give in and put a broach at my neck, a.) because I used to do it in my "new wave" youth, and, b.) because men don't get to wear enough diamonds!:D But I digress. If the shirt isn't button-down, I don't think you need to worry about a tie/broach/scarf, as it doen't sound like you would want to "femme up" the outfit. That said, I've seen lots of women in corporate america wearing suits and ties, so have some fun with it. My friend Kathy did get called "sir" a few times, but it didn't seem to phase her- never has on land!

Enjoy the cruise.

My partner is butch and we've been wondering the same thing. She mostly just wears dockers and oxford shirts. I've been perusing photo galleries, but haven't seen anything that would answer the question. We'd appreciate the help too, please!

Why not wear a tuxedo w/ a sparkly vest and a big brooch instead of a bowtie?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. Ill fill you in on my type of style. It consists mainly of Abercrombie and Fitch, Polo, and Express (men that is). So I was wondering if like a pair of the dress pants from there and a really nice black or white shirt with a sweater on top would be dressy enough. I do want to go to the formal night, i dont feel like my style should keep me from experiencing this. Do you think this would be acceptable?

AF21

I appreciate the responses, also. Thank you!

We definitely don't want to miss formal night, but I know that on HAL, formal can be a little more formal than some of the other lines, so I was concerned.

Nice dress slacks and a blazer (ala Ellen) would definitely be doable. Thanks for letting us know it would be fine!

Bonnie

It depends if you are going on a lesbian cruise (ie Olivia) or a straight cruise. I have been on 3 Olivia cruises and the dress on formal night ranged from dresses (no evening gowns...come on....we are lesbians....lol) to tuxes. Some women wore tailored pants suites or just a nice pair of dress pants with a nice top (what ever that means to you). On an Olivia cruise what ever you wear will be ok...trust me. I have not gone on a straight cruise but will be in May. I plan to wear a pants outfit that looks like a tux and I bought it in the women's department. Not sure what my partner is wearing. I know I will look nice so I really don't care what others think.

I think if you wear something that is neat and clean and is a bit more dressed up than dockers (which I plan to wear on non-formal nights no matter what anyone else says) I think you will be fine.

BTW...what cruise are you going on?

Have fun!

Whats wrong with docker on the non formal nights? Thats all i planned to wear also, different color khaki pants, with either a polo shirt of my long sleeve Abercrombie shirts. Is this bad?

Not in my mind...I love dockers and jeans but I believe the cruise ships want you a bit more dressier than that even on non-formal nights. It really depends on what cruise line you will be on. Celebrity and Crystal are much more dressier than Holland America, Princess and those two are a bit dressier than Carnival. What line and ship are you going on and to what destination?

It depends if you are going on a lesbian cruise (ie Olivia) or a straight cruise. I have been on 3 Olivia cruises and the dress on formal night ranged from dresses (no evening gowns...come on....we are lesbians....lol) to tuxes.

Hi Gator... If what you mean by "evening gown" is something floor length, slinky and sexy, I've got several and I've identified as a lesbian for almost 30 years. *grin* My partner looks fabulous in a tux, but I know she'd feel more comfortable going that route if we were on an Olivia cruise (which this isn't). We'll do some pre-cruise shopping, for a nice dark blazer. She's definitely going to wear her dockers on informal nights.

We'll be sailing on Holland America's Inside Passage to Alaska, Roundtrip from Vancouver. We were the highest bidders at a LGBT nonprofit auction (so we got a good deal) and have upgraded to a balcony cabin. Can't wait!!

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,

Sounds good to me. I think she will be fine with the Blazer and look fine too. I also plan to wear Dockers on some of the non-formal nights unless my partner throws a fit and wants me in dress pants all the time....which is ok too. Too bad we arn't going on the same Alaskan cruise. I'm going on the Coral Princes from Vancouver to Whittier on May 28th and I can't wait.

Too bad we arn't going on the same Alaskan cruise. I'm going on the Coral Princes from Vancouver to Whittier on May 28th and I can't wait.

Yeah, It would have been great to be on the same cruise. I know you're going to have a fabulous time and I definitely want to hear all about it. It'll help those last couple of months until I actually go!

Bonnie

Personally I think a blazer might not be quite dressy enough for the formal nights, but perhaps with a nice dress shirt underneath it would work. I'm femme and so is my wife so I know next to nothing about butch fashion! LOL :)

Now, if you were to dress up like k.d. lang in the promotional pictures from her album Drag, now that would be perfect! Of course who has $400 to drop on a single jacket... eek!

Archived