Self-Deparkation off the Serenade in San Juan

Anyone done this? Do you remember the timeline? When they let you start leaving the ship, were there a LOT of people doing it, what time were you out of the cruise terminal and in a taxi, what time did you get to the airport? We have a very early flight and I'm looking for a little reassurance. Not like I can change our flights so it's really a moot point, just wondering how prepared I need to get hubby for a missed flight.... :eek:

Last February, there was no self-embarkation program. I did a minor freak-out when I found this out since we had an early flight too. We just went off early with the Platinum/Diamond members and had no problem whatsoever. Just tell the pursar's desk that you need an early time if you're not part of this group.

You didn't mention exactly how early your flight is, but just keep in mind that no one is allowed off the ship until it has been cleared by Customs and Immigration.

When we cruised on Serenade in April there was no self debarkation available either and the first group of pax was led off at approximately 8:00AM.

sand,

We didn't do self embark, however two years ago when we were on the Serenade I wanted to do a tour in San Juan on the last day. THe only tour times were 9AM or 1PM, the later would not have gotten us to the airport in time. So we booked the 9AM tour, we ask for early off and was told to just show up with the first group, regardless of the color of our tags. We were off, found our luggage, took a taxi and was in Old San Juan by 8:45, we had to wait on the tour place to open!!

While I'm sure there are times when this doesn't always happen like this, I thought I would let you know how smooth it went for us. We did the serenade again last year, and was in no hurry, I still think we were at our post cruise hotel by 11

good luck

Thanks for the replies - our flight back is with Delta, at 9:45. I guess even if they don't have self-debarkation we'll just make sure they're aware that we need to go with the first group off, and hope for the best. I'll wait until we're actually on the cruise to mention the tight connection to hubby..... no sense in getting him all worried ahead of time!

We're booked on a 10:05 when we get off Serenade and not worried at all about making it. If you get off with the first couple of groups you will have no problem.

Remember to have your luggage go through the USDA scanners prior to checking in with Delta. The USDA scanners are on the opposite side of the hall as the airlien check-in desks. This will save you some time.

What a timely thread for me. Just yesterday AA changed our December flight out of San Juan from 11:55am to 9:15am - the day we return from a TA on Adventure of the Seas. They have no other flight out that day with a connection to Orlando. :eek: I can't imagine making that flight.

Now what?

Gina

What a timely thread for me. Just yesterday AA changed our December flight out of San Juan from 11:55am to 9:15am - the day we return from a TA on Adventure of the Seas. They have no other flight out that day with a connection to Orlando. :eek: I can't imagine making that flight.

Now what?

Gina

How about a day in San Juan with a return flight the next day?:D Don't they have co-share with other airlines? Since they changed your return flight, if you do not like it, they are supposed to put you on a flight that is more convenient for you.

I read in a past review of the Serenade that states the reviewer had an 8:45am flight out, and they made it. So, the 9:15 flight could happen! Reading that review is what made me book my flights - I almost just gave up and said "we're not going to book the cruise". And that would have been a shame. Coming back the next day really isn't an option for us, although I realize that we may not have a choice if we don't make our scheduled flight. The only other flight out for us only has a few scattered seats left on it at this point, and that's three months out.

How about a day in San Juan with a return flight the next day?:D Don't they have co-share with other airlines? Since they changed your return flight, if you do not like it, they are supposed to put you on a flight that is more convenient for you.

They did say they'd put me on any other flight on any day. Last night the customer service rep said they would have no other flights to MCO except that 9:15 flight.... (hmmm....this has ended up sounding typical...it depends on who you talk to when it comes to CS reps.)

Well, I just looked and they have completely redone the schedule. They had automatically put me on the 9:15am flight but I found a new flight at 12:15pm. And it turns out to be the same aircraft and flight number out of MIA. That's even better than the original flight since we will be unrushed. I called and had them switch me to that flight - no seat assignments are available yet since the schedule update isn't complete yet. This CS rep did have access to viewing the seats although she couldn't assign them and she said I will have no trouble getting the same seats for each leg of my flight B2B. :)

I'll see what happens as they complete the schedule adjustment. I'm just glad I didn't react too quickly and cancel. Although Air Tran flies non-stop from SJU to MCO I was looking forward to my original plan.

Gina

They did say they'd put me on any other flight on any day. Last night the customer service rep said they would have no other flights to MCO except that 9:15 flight.... (hmmm....this has ended up sounding typical...it depends on who you talk to when it comes to CS reps.)

Well, I just looked and they have completely redone the schedule. They had automatically put me on the 9:15am flight but I found a new flight at 12:15pm. And it turns out to be the same aircraft and flight number out of MIA. That's even better than the original flight since we will be unrushed. I called and had them switch me to that flight - no seat assignments are available yet since the schedule update isn't complete yet. This CS rep did have access to viewing the seats although she couldn't assign them and she said I will have no trouble getting the same seats for each leg of my flight B2B. :)

I'll see what happens as they complete the schedule adjustment. I'm just glad I didn't react too quickly and cancel. Although Air Tran flies non-stop from SJU to MCO I was looking forward to my original plan.

Gina

I was just able to choose my seats on line. I've got the same ones booked with a one hour layover in MIA. I hope they stick with this current itinerary.

Gina

That's great news. Now you will be so much more relaxed coming into port and knowing you have a later flight. :) Hopefully Luggage Valet will be up and running again in San Juan in December.

Archived