Vaporetta pass or Alilaguna pass in Venice?

squeakieca

I am a little confused. They are advertising a 72 hr pass with a the 3 island tour included for 45 euros online. Is this 72 hr pass include Vaporetta's or is that separate.

I am I right in saying you can use the Alilaguna ferry to go to the airport but the Vaporetta's don't go there.:confused:

Think of it this way: the vaporetti (plural of vaporetto) are like public buses. They have set routes and go all over the place and serve the locals as well as tourists. This is where you want to buy your pass, and it is very easy to do when you get there. They come in different amounts of hours so you can buy whatever suits your needs.

Alilaguna is a private company that services travelers in general. They go from the port to St. Mark's (only stop on that route) and from a couple of stops to the airport, plus a few other specific destinations. This is more like calling an airport transpoer company at home.

The water taxis are just that--private boats that serve as taxis, much more expensive than the vaporetti.

I am not sure where you saw 45 euros for 3 islands but I know you can probably get to the three islands (I am assuming Murano, Burano and Guidecca) on the vaporetti for a whole lot less money.

I am not even sure if I have answered your question, feel free to ask a follow up!

Cathy

I saw it on Venicelink.com. If you go onto Alilgura tickets your options come up. the 3 island tour is 15 e pp but the 72 hour pass pluss the 3 island tour is 45 e so that gives you 3 days of shuttles for 30 e which would include a ride to the airport which is usually 12 e pp.

It looks like they have at least 3 lines that run like the vaporetti. Maybe not as frequently. Not sure if is better to buy a Vaporetti pass and get the ticket to the airport on top of that or just do this deal.

I just checked on wikitravel http://wikitravel.org/en/Venice and you can get a 3 day vaporetto pass for $33, plus the $12 for the airport would be $45, so that may be what they are talking about. If the Alilaguna pass is ONLY for their routes, you would be better off doing the above since it gives you more options. One thing we did was take the vaporetto up and down the entire length of the Grand Canal which was a lot of fun, sat outside and got some great photos.

One thing for sure--you can't go wrong--it's Venice!

I am looking to pre pay for transport back to the airport from the port.

On Veniceconnected (which has the 72 hr public transport pass for €28.05), there are:

• Alilaguna Airport Transfer Return Ticket € 23.75

• Alilaguna City Centre-Airport one-way Ticket € 11.50

What is the difference?

I can also get the 12 hour public transport ticket for €15.20

What is the best way to the airport from the ship?

:confused:

I am not sure where you saw 45 euros for 3 islands but I know you can probably get to the three islands (I am assuming Murano, Burano and Guidecca) on the vaporetti for a whole lot less money.

The three islands could well be Murano, Burano and Torcello.

I am looking to pre pay for transport back to the airport from the port.

What is the best way to the airport from the ship?

Forget about boats or water taxis frm the port to the airport. The easy way is a land taxi all the way. The cheaper way is the people mover from the port to Piazzal Roma for 1 euro each (takes a few minutes) followed by the express land bus from P. Roma to the airport.

All is revealed at http://www.veniceforvisitors.com

I am a little confused. They are advertising a 72 hr pass with a the 3 island tour included for 45 euros online. Is this 72 hr pass include Vaporetta's or is that separate.

I am I right in saying you can use the Alilaguna ferry to go to the airport but the Vaporetta's don't go there.:confused:

It is confusing. The public water buses don't go to either the airport or the port. However it is worthwhile to purchase a vaporetto pass for the time you are there because you can enjoy a trip up the Grand Canal, or save walking especially if you have to cross the canal or even visit Murano, Burano, and Torcello all for the same cost. However, to visit all 3 would take a fair chunk of time.

The alilaguna pass is for a private company. It doe not include the public vaporetti. I can't imagine it would be worthwhile because the boats on each line only run every hour. Aliaguna DOES NOT connect the airport to the cruise port except via a long route via st Mark's which would involve changing boats. See my other post. The way from the port to the airport is by taxi or people mover and express (land) bus.

If you visit http://www.veniceconnected.com you can purchase your vaporetto passes and museum passes at a slight discount but be aware you need to exchange your online voucher at their offices at the airport or at Piazzal Roma. http://www.veniceforvisitors and Rick Steve's guide are worthwhile resources. If you want to enjoy Venice you will also need a decent map.

We are not going to the airport from the port but from our hotel as we are staying an extra night. The hotel is near St Marks. The 3 island tour is three hours long and goes every morning at 9:00. It is run by Aliliguna.

I was worried about the luggage in the vaporetta going from the port to the hotel.

We are not going to the airport from the port but from our hotel as we are staying an extra night. The hotel is near St Marks. The 3 island tour is three hours long and goes every morning at 9:00. It is run by Aliliguna.

I was worried about the luggage in the vaporetta going from the port to the hotel.

Since the hotel is near St. Mark's, the Alilaguna M line would be a reasonable choice. There could be a line up for it. We ended up sharing a water taxi for the added convenience. We picked up people to share with at the water taxi desk in the terminal bldg. Cost was 25 euro each for 6 people to 3 different hotels.

Well, as Earl stated, there IS no vaporetto service from the port to your hotel without going way out of your way. You can catch Alilaguna right there (and buy your ticket at the little kiosk) and it goes directly to St. Mark's. They help you with the luggage and there are no stops--it's just straight from the port to St. Mark's. You should definitely download a good map before you go since it can be really tricky to find your hotel in the small, winding streets, esp. when dragging luggage--took us forever to find ours and we thought we had good directions.

I wouldn't pay extra for the three island tour. If you have limited time, and it sounds like you do, that will be just riding around in the lagoon when there is so much to see right in Venice. You can do that with your vaporetto pass anyway if you decide you want to do it. I was surprised at how long it took to get to Murano, which looks to be close by.

What we did was buy our Alilaguna ticket at the port, then bought a vaporetto pass separately. You may be able to get a discount per Earl's website if you buy ahead, however.

We were just in Venice last month-a couple of observations-we used Allalinguna to get from the airport to the Hilton-they stop directly on the Hiltons dock so this was about ass effective as a water taxi-i had looked at purchasing the tickets online and the price was E15 per person-when i bought them at the dock at the airport it was E13 per person-i knew i did not need a return as we were leaving Venice by bus and flew home from Rome. the Allalingua did stop other places than St Marks-i think we stopped about a half dozen times before we got to the Hilton-including Arsenale, the Lido, St Marks and Zattere.

The Hilton has a private shuttle that runs once an hour to Zattere and St Marks so we didnt buy a 72 hour vapperatto-however we did purchase a 12 hour one to go to Murano, Buruano and Torcello-this was E16 per person-compared to E40 per person it would have cost as an add on tour with our package and we were able to stay in each location as long as we wanted. Your mileage may vary-but this is what worked well for us-saved the high cost of a water taxi from the airport and allowed us to spend time as we chose on the outer islands.

thanks for your information Earl. Do you have to buy a decent map ahead of time or is that something that they have right at the port terminal?

Not at the port but at newsstands. The best one we found was given out by our hotel. Most large cities in N america will have a store specializing in guidebooks and maps. Also try AAA and google. PS for a real taste of Venice borrow 'City of falling angels' from your library and try Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti series starting with 'Death at La Fenice"

Archived