sdmike's review & daily diary of Epic's inaugural western Caribbean cruise

sdmike

Mike,

I am leaving on Wednesday and I need a little reminder. Where was it specifically that you found the wooden bowls? They sound like great gifts and I do not want to miss them. Can you re-enlighten me?

~Intrepid <-- bowled over.

They were in Roatan. There was quite a large selection in the small shops outside the port area. Just walk out the gates and to the right about 50 yards.

The zip is on Victor's property. It's not one of the big canopy tours, but a smaller 12 station one that runs back and forth across his property. It was perfect for our group ranging from 9 to 71.

On Victor's website it mentioned Mayan Jungle Canopy. Is that Victor's name/company for his zip lines?

I hope you guys enjoy our journey. I also have a few extremely unique Epic pictures from today (Saturday). Our flight was delayed, and by the time we took off from MIA the ship was about 20 miles out to sea. We flew right over it, and I got the first pictures of Epic from about 10,000 feet. lol! I will post these in the next couple of days.

Also, feel free to ask me any questions that I might be able to answer for you. It was a GREAT trip!

-Mike

Holy moly...what an great review! Thanks!

On Victor's website it mentioned Mayan Jungle Canopy. Is that Victor's name/company for his zip lines?

Yes. A sign with that name was posted at the corner of his driveway and the main highway.

You walk up a hill to west of his house, do a few zip lines along that hill; cross the valley 4 times; then end up next to the location of his animals.

Yes. A sign with that name was posted at the corner of his driveway and the main highway.

You walk up a hill to west of his house, do a few zip lines along that hill; cross the valley 4 times; then end up next to the location of his animals.

Thanks!

I think it was because most people just didn't know it was there, honestly. We were able to walk around all over the place up there without restriction. It was very pleasant and had a nice breeze being towards the front and up high.

Loving reading your review, Mike. I just returned from 2 wks and will be putting up comments soon.

Just to be clear, POSH itself (with the red cushioned loungers and big umbrellas) has keyed access only and other guests may not enter. It appears from the pics, Mike that you were up there so maybe there's another section we missed. However, as Mike says there are areas up on deck 18 including the freestyle deck that don't have restrictions and are quite empty. Key for me was finding shade. We liked Spice H20 area but no chaises under umbrellas, only tables & chairs.

Loving your pictures, too. Great great info.

I'm reading the reviews and can understand how people come to different conclusions based on their experiences. I'll be posting some of the frustrations which could cause someone to come back with the "never again" attitude but the high points and amazing amazing aspects far outweigh.

We discovered Slam Allen and the Blues Band and were there every night. I also can understand Mike's comments about the comedian and Howl and some of the "adult" comments/songs. We were talking to one Howler who told us they wished parents would respect the later sets from 11 pm on because things get a little risque, lots of drinking songs, too....even when things were marked 18+ in the Daily some parents dragged the little ones along, hopefully things went over their heads. So I completely understand what Mike was trying to convey.

Don't know how you got those incredible Cirque shots since they did not allow due to danger to the performers - the show would have been amazing on land but to see them do these feats on a moving ship was really beyond belief.

Oh, and we did not find the dinner ATROCIOUS as one reviewer put it or anything like that. We asked for a rare filet and got good juicy pieces, the stuffed chicken was fine but gravy a bit salty and the salad and dessert were certainly adequate, too. No chance in a show like that to put out a gourmet meal.

Plenty of opportunities for that - food was absolutely great and in 2 wks seriously I never heard a complaint from anyone.

Can you tell we had a great great time, too??:D

The only place you could get food the morning of debarkation was the Garden Cafe, and I understand it was only open until 9am. When we sat in O'Sheehans it was empty. I think most people want to get off earlier, so we basically had the ship to ourselves until 10:15 when they kicked us off. When we got to the luggage area the only bags there were ours. lol

I was on for the two wks after you got off, Mike. We had a gorgeous day in Costa Maya and my legs still feel it from climbing the Mayan ruins - 2 hrs by motorcoach each way to Kuhanlich Ruins, pretty amazing trip.

In 2 wks I never even saw a whitecap or storm, only a shower in St. Maarten in the morning.

Although Daily advertised debarkation breakfast in Manhattan Room, they actually served breakfast in Taste both Saturdays I was on. So they may have added that since you were on or you might have missed it. I think O'Sheehan's was also open for breakfast on turnaround day.

It's been answered many many times.

It's part of your freestyle dining so you just show up. Same as O'Sheehans & buffet restaurants.

One thing I am reading more and more is that there really hasn't been any need for restaurant reservations. Even when the board is showing full or fully booked people are turning up at all different times and getting seated without a reservation at all the restaurants by the sounds of things.

Maybe this has been answered because I'm just going through Mike's journal and the Q & A but there was such good flow on this ship that for Manhattan Room or Taste you could just show up (even on lobster night!) and there were no lines....perhaps a few people just being seated and then you were next. People ate at 6 and others ate at 9 or 10 pm so it was all spread out.

But I can tell you that specialties were absolutely packed the whole 2 wks I was on. Rsvns highly encouraged and believe me, by mid wk when people had heard how great Moderno (and Cagney's next door) was, it was untouchable. We were in Cagney's the last night at 9 pm and both places were absolutely hopping. La Cucina, Teppanyaki (even with the 12 stations!) - noodle bar, sushi, everywhere we checked it was absolutely full. Le Bistro (4x experience!) was a little easier but still we had rsvns.

Specialties so full that the regular DR's were not a problem and we adored Manhattan Room with Manhattan Show Band playing from 5:30-7:30 and then again starting at 8 pm - and don't miss Bernie Martini (usually up in Shaker's Martini Bar) for his once weekly show as a vocalist with the band. It was like going out to a dinner club, superb! Menus are posted on the interactive TV's for all venues but the daily specials are only posted outside Taste or Manhattan sometime after lunch (TV has only the unchanging menu).

As for shows, Cirque is GONE by embarkation day so if you miss making rsvns in advance online or by phone you can pretty much forget it. I took my printout with me.

For the person who posted they wish you were "closed out" if you miss a show, you are! I had a 9 pm Second City (the first wk I was solo and the 2nd wk with DH) and missed it. When I tried to book another Second City show on TV that week, it indicated that I had already reserved. That said, I was able to stand by last minute and get in to another show. People do get caught up with dinner or something else and miss shows so always worth coming by if you really want to get in.

Someone else posted that you have to line up 1-2 hrs. in advance for a show. Not my experience. Showed up for Blue Man's 7 pm show at 6:30 and the doors were already open. We had row 7 center seats. Now that reviewer got absolute front row with the ponchos so that was surely their experience and true. With around 4800 guests the 2nd wk (last wk) I'm sure everyone has their own experience so you can't necessarily extrapolate and think you have to do that, too. We had Cirque premium seats (no "hassling" from the performers, all in good fun) and I got there at 5:00 for the 5:30 show and had perfect seats a few feet away from the performers!:D

There's photos attached to MikeSD review? Where are they located?

For Second City and Legends in Concert, etc., if you dont pre-reserve a ticket, does that mean you can't just stroll in when performance time comes? They are assuming everyone who wants to watch these show to pre-book and not leave any wiggle room?

How do they verify you have pre-reserved for the show?

I had heard they were taking away the reservations that you make before getting on the ship and that you have to make them all when you get on the ship. Does anyone know if this is true or just a rumor?:confused:

I don't know if it is true or not but that would certainly cause chaos and a huge headache for the folks who would have to deal with the backlash. Yikes!!!

There's photos attached to MikeSD review? Where are they located?

For Second City and Legends in Concert, etc., if you dont pre-reserve a ticket, does that mean you can't just stroll in when performance time comes? They are assuming everyone who wants to watch these show to pre-book and not leave any wiggle room?

How do they verify you have pre-reserved for the show?

If you don't do it online prior to sailing, you can go to the box office line, call the box office during the hours it's open or just book from your cabin on the interactive TV. However, certain shows like Cirque (and the 2nd wk I was on the Nick breakfast as well) are gone by embarkation day.

You can't just stroll up unless you are interested in stand-by. 10 mins. prior to shows they give away the empty seats from the no-shows. Since Cirque is a dinner show (for extra $) chance of a cancellation are quite slim. Other shows may have more wiggle room.

Even things like Murder Mystery Lunch sell out fast.

So take advantage of these boards and NCL's info to identify what you want and when and book if you can asap.

For verification, your cabin key card will be your admission (info on the card read by scanner) so no tickets necessary.

Edited by snorklin'barb

I didn't get that information on the ship, but I have all the dailies. Anyone know if it was posted anywhere? I'm sure I could find out if I know where to look. I know it was pretty full because the week I left I started doing room searches on-line to see what was still available, and there wasn't much! There were no rooms bigger than what I had (BA) and not a lot of BA's either.

What additional information do you need about embarkation and debarkation?

DH always looks at the screen when we leave the ship and they swipe your card. It says on the screen how many people are on board.

I don't know if it is true or not but that would certainly cause chaos and a huge headache for the folks who would have to deal with the backlash. Yikes!!!

I just prebooked entertainment and meals for Oct 2, this morning. ;)

If you don't do it online prior to sailing' date=' you can go to the box office line, call the box office during the hours it's open or just book from your cabin on the interactive TV. However, certain shows like Cirque (and the 2nd wk I was on the Nick breakfast as well) are gone by embarkation day.

You can't just stroll up unless you are interested in stand-by. 10 mins. prior to shows they give away the empty seats from the no-shows. Since Cirque is a dinner show (for extra $) chance of a cancellation are quite slim. Other shows may have more wiggle room.

Even things like Murder Mystery Lunch sell out fast.

So take advantage of these boards and NCL's info to identify what you want and when and book if you can asap.

For verification, your cabin key card will be your admission (info on the card read by scanner) so no tickets necessary.[/quote']

Thanks. I was able to book all the shows I wanted to see except one. The Second City at 7pm. All the 7pm shows were unavailable.

Mike,

Awesome review! We are first time cruisers and this is gonna help a lot for our upcoming "Honeymoon" cruise in December! Yay! CAN'T WAIT!!!!

~Lisa

Have a great time, Lisa. And congratulations!

Hi Mike

What a truly phenomenal review! Wow, I can't wait until October!

I am pretty new to CC, so I apologize if these have been asked and answered-

If entertainment is verified by key card instead of tickets, is there a 24 hour reservation change requirement to bring a different member of your party (ie. If you and wife booked Cirque Dreams as a date night, but you ended up taking your father at the last minute instead, is that allowed?)

Also, just curious if your halls were excessively busy due to your proximity to the kids club?

Thank you again for the incredible information.

Hey Mike

I read in your review that your brother did the Snuba in Cozumel. How did he like that?? I am trying to figure out my plan and DH wants to try Snuba. Also, even though you did not go to Mr Sanchos in Cozumel did you hear any feedback on it?? Thanks so much!!

The folks at Sand Dollar sports were very nice. They were very accomodating with the gear and getting everyone fitted well. Blas was our guide and he was very patient as one of my kids had some trouble equalizing. The entrypoint (Sunset Beach) was a little rough since boats were coming and going but once we got through the checkout and out into deeper water, it was fine. IF you can, stay near the bottom, it will help prevent entanglement in the air lines. Apparetnly that was an issue with one or two of the folks who kept popping up to the raft. Blas was very good at pointing things out liek the yellow stingray and eels. Not quite the reef environment as if you dove Santa Rosa but very nice for the beginner.

In addition, after SNUBA, they will let you take snorkle gear for as long as you want and you can buzz around the area on your own. When you are done, they cover the cab fare back to the ship as well.

The cons.... the restaurant person was a bit pushy to get you to have a meal there but the beef nachos were very good. We ran into a group of SCUBA students on our trip and a couple of people got confused which way to go so keep an eye on your guide.

If you complete the SNUBA class and take a second trip that day, or if you are a certified diver with your C-card, you can take an underwater camera with you, otherwise, there is no photography other than their person. Their reason... they want you to pay attention to SNUBA and the guide rather than a camera. Makse sense to me but I wish I would have known this before going as I would have grabbed my PADI card and camera for the trip.

I have to tell you Mike, I am driving my husband crazy over this trip. I come home every day and scout this site for anything and EVERYTHING I can find about the ship. When I saw your posta nd started reading...I ran down stairs, poured myself a nice BIG glass of wine and went on the best trip ever......thanks so much, now I am so excited and my husband is rolling his eyes...yes it is going to be a very long winter for him...LOL, but seriously it was a GREAT review

I have to tell you Mike, I am driving my husband crazy over this trip. I come home every day and scout this site for anything and EVERYTHING I can find about the ship. When I saw your posta nd started reading...I ran down stairs, poured myself a nice BIG glass of wine and went on the best trip ever......thanks so much, now I am so excited and my husband is rolling his eyes...yes it is going to be a very long winter for him...LOL, but seriously it was a GREAT review

hahha. Please give him my apologies! :)

Hey Mike, I'm reading through all the posts, so you may have answered it, but could you give me just a bit of a rundown of what you get access to with the spa pass? Is there access to any outdoor pool/hot tubs? thanks, fantastic review and fotos....I'm only on page 11 and moving through, anxious to see if you ever posted the dailies. Thanks, Charlie