Packing List for Alaska?

gf

Anyone know of a packing list for " unique to Alaska cruising? " e.g. binoculars, apparel,etc.

Thanks for your help.

Hi!

Just a few thoughts:

1) Lay out everything you think you are going to need - and then cut it in half!

This is not a new idea, but has proved a good guideline.

2) Layer, layers, and layers. Weather is variable so be prepared. If you have to grab something in port, so be it. Just be prepared for cold - at glacier faces, on deck when the ship is at speed, etc. Also plan for the possibility of rain (we carry a small poncho).

3) Cameras and binoculars - Absolutely. As to film or other recording media, you will probably use a lot. That being said, you don't have to bring it all with you if you don't want to. In all the ports you can easily pick up more (as well as batteries and other items) if you need it. It will cost a little more, but it is not like trying to get it in some exotic overseas port. Binoculars - I have a compact pair I can carry on my belt. A more powerful pair is certainly better for wildlife spotting, but they are larger and heavier. If you are not also carrying a camera, that might be OK. The choice, of course, is up to you.

Other questions? These boards have a lot of great info. Also ask your TA, check the guide books, and scan the cruise line suggestions. Have a great cruise and I hope you love Alaska as much as we do!

If you are a beginner, generally the binocular in the 9x10 to 10x25 range is the most adaptable. If you have anything above those measurements you might need a tripod. And make sure you get a good brand; it is a waste of money to buy cheap ones. Do a search on the web for binoculars and you will find everything you need.

Layers are good. Polar fleece is wonderful - light but warm, and very 'stuffable". Light gloves. Always a rain layer. Good solid walking shoes are very necessary - even in the towns, there are some challenging changes in pavement!

If you like to sit out on the balcony, you may want to bring a fleece afgan - again light and stuffable, but warm. When you are on the seas it can get a bit brisk, but I still enjoy sitting out to enjoy the sights.

Twice as much film (or compact flash) as you think you will ever possibily need.

For layers, I usually do a lightweight shirt, like a thin button-down or a t-shirt or a polo shirt, with warmer long-sleeve layer, like a sweatshirt or fleece or sweater over the top of it, and then top it with a lightweight, waterproof, packable raincoat. For pants, I usually wear jeans or khakis. If it's raining hard, khakis dry faster. I think this description of layered clothing works for both men and women, at least, that what both DH and I do. Sometimes he wears shorts instead of jeans, but he's one of those people who wears shorts in the middle of winter. He keeps saying if it's not snowing out, it's not cold. :rolleyes:

Forgive me, I know this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. :p Could someone give me an example of what a woman & a man would need to dress in layers? Meaning what to wear for each layer. We residents of Tampa don't do a lot of layering. :D TIA :)

For a base layer, I'd go with a t-shirt (my girlfriend had a turtleneck as a base in our first port and had to buy a t-shirt by 9:30 because it was so warm). Progressive layers go: long sleeve button down (girlfriend went with long sleeve turtle neck in its place), sweatshirt, fleece jacket, jacket with some lining that protects against wind better than fleece (like what I might wear on a cool evening in LA, so not wintery stuff). Based on the conditions, we sometimes skipped the middle layers and just wore the t-shirt and either the fleece or jacket. Multiple thin layers are more comfortable and is actually better at trapping warm air than something bulky, plus it lets you modify your clothing throughout the day. [And you likely own most of the pieces or can buy them and make use of them at home ... here in LA, my girlfriend wears the fleece she purchased before the cruise as her jacket of choice.]

For pants, we both just went with jeans. Others prefer wind pants because they dry faster. With wind pants you may need leggings underneath. Some bring long underwear for the bottoms (cold-sensitive or if you are going during a time that is likely to be colder).

Of course, you'll also want waterproof coat with hood for rain purposes.

Mike: Any info on what type of binoculars you should buy. I know nothing about it. Have seen some for $19.99. What should I be looking for. Thanks.

Hi!

I am by no means an expert (just use them), but I would probably step up a little from that price range (but no need to spend a fortune). I have a compact pair of Nikon and a compact pair of Sigma that have been great for travel. Both are lightweight, have soft cases can be carried on my belt, offer nice optics with bright magnification, and are powerful enough for all around use (10 x 25).

Binoculars have come a long way and some are even available with a built-in digital camera. I don't recommend them though - probably the worst of both worlds. I would go to a good camera store and try out a selection to find what suits you best.

If you're going to be near water, you definitely want to wear fleece as it dries quickly opposed to blue jeans. Since I kayak in almost every place I go, I wear the same layer as a skier: 1) base layer of silk (it's light & absorbs perspiration) 2) 2nd layer of fleece top/bottom; 3) another fleece zip jacket. If you are somewhere were you might get wet and have on blue jeans/regular clothing you will chill very fast.

Also if you go somewhere where it is cold and you are hiking, etc., and perspire and don't have a base layer of silk or light thermal, you will be chilled from the perspiration as it is not absorbed by the base layer.

I learned this from a trip to the Antarctica and a trip to the Hudson Bay/Artic.

As all ther others have said, thin, thin and more thin. You definately don't need anything bulky. We had cotton thermals, flannel shirts, sweatshirt and a nylon windbreaker, which is also waterproof. The only time we wore almost all was in College Fiord. Depending on when you are going, but in July even the glacier landings aren't too bad.

Oh, some sort of waterproof shoe or boot would be great.

Check your temperatures before you leave, you may be surprised at how warm it can be. We were on a 7 day round trip out of Vancouver last August and much of the trip we could have been in shorts. I didn't take my sandals and missed them a lot. I took 2 pair of sneakers and wish I would have left one pair home. I missed having enough short sleeved shirts, I only took 2, could have used 4. My aunt wore a turtleneck one day and ended up going back to the ship to change, it was just too warm.

I would leave the long underwear at home unless you are going on a dog-sledding excursion. Pack a couple pair of shorts just in case and don't forget your bathing suit, a couple pair of long pants, a lightweight jacket and a rain coat. Make sure your long sleeved t-shirts aren't too heavy. Use the onboard laundry service and re-wear the same clothes instead of over-packing.

When we started planning our Alaska cruise, we thought we would see a lot of cold weather, the only day that was cool was our day at the glacier.

I second Happy Ks suggestions. Check the weather before you go and don't overpack with a bunch of bulky clothing you may not end up wearing. I brought some sweaters last year that I never touched the entire week. They have warm spells in Alaska, In Juneau, it was 90 degrees the week before we came. And the day we were there, I was comfortably wearing shorts and a sleeveless shirt as we walked around the town in the afternoon. Granted, that morning, I was wearing a light rainproof jacket on the whale watching excursion with Captain Larry and then right after that, I was layered even thicker for glacier dogsledding. But unless you're on the water or on a glacier, all you will probably need is a short sleeved T-Shirt or button down with a light weight jacket over the top and long pants. And chances are, if you're there mid-summer, you'll be carrying the jacket around with you by mid-day.

There is a product called Cuddl Duds. It's a "pretty" thermal underwear that is available in white, off white and black (I think) I found mine at Belk's, but I'm sure it's available other places. It's very thin and keeps you very comfortable. I wear mine when I go to a seminar at the conference center. I usually FREEZE while attending, but now I can actually pay attention w/o keeping my hand around a coffee cup!

This website has some: http://littlehousefashions.com/cuddudwarun.html

I'm considering a cruise to Alaska, and they will come with me!

Have fun on your cruise!

Jacquelyn :D

We are departing from Vancouver July 20 northbound to Whittier, then 4 night excusion to Denali ending in Anchorage. Hoping we don't need "heavy" clothes and I know last summer was warm.

Any other "must haves" besides binoculars?

We will be in Alaska in mid June. I hope we are fortunate enough to have some warmer weather. We don't have that many winter clothes. We definitely have some, cool to some, cold to us weather, but not enough to buy up a lot of winter clothing. If we can wear some of our summer stuff, we won't have to go out & buy so much to bring, not to mention the difference in the amount we can pack in a suitcase. My DH said he wants to bring at least a couple pair of shorts, but I just thought that would be precious space wasted. Maybe not! Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check the weather a few times, before I pack. :)

Personal opinion, I think silk undergarments are better than the thermal. Much lighter weight. If you've got a TJ Maxx in your area, they usually have a pretty good selection, just keep looking. Long sleeve, short sleeve, and sleeveless undershirts. Long underwear things. No extra bulk, if it gets warm (as it was last year in August), just take them off and put in a pocket. My hubby even borrowed a pair of the my long underwear things one day. They are not expensive and are machine washable. Could even be rinsed out and dried in a few hours if needed. I know you can find them at Cabela's and other online stores but I bet you could find them elsewhere at reasonable prices. Layering should be lightweight to be comfortable. We always take a fleece vest and wind/rain jackets.

Silly Question- But what kinds of shoes do I take? I have some brown boots that are what I would say are between hiking and casual dress shoe ( I usually wear them in the winter with khakis or jeans- and I have several pairs of tennis shoes. What do I need? It's hard because to look nice for dinner you need dress shoes-- and to go Kayaking and Glacier Trekking you need others... do I need to buy a more rugged pair of hiking boots? (I know for the glacier they give us the special ones with the spikes)

We are going Kayaking, Glacier Trekking, and probably doing the Skagway White pass train... and then walking around Victoria.

Any experience or suggestion on what to take?

Thanks!

Tarheelmjfan...I just realized we are practically neighbors...We are in Sarasota about 45 minutes south of Tampa. I was wondering about what to bring too, as we don't have much of a need for that cold weather stuff. Well maybe this weekend we will. They are saying 30's in our area. Brrr!

Just thought I would be polite and say hello to our neighbors to the north. Have a good day...Nancy

Silly Question- But what kinds of shoes do I take? I have some brown boots that are what I would say are between hiking and casual dress shoe ( I usually wear them in the winter with khakis or jeans- and I have several pairs of tennis shoes. What do I need? It's hard because to look nice for dinner you need dress shoes-- and to go Kayaking and Glacier Trekking you need others... do I need to buy a more rugged pair of hiking boots? (I know for the glacier they give us the special ones with the spikes)

We are going Kayaking, Glacier Trekking, and probably doing the Skagway White pass train... and then walking around Victoria.

Any experience or suggestion on what to take?

Thanks!

Hi!

For what it's worth, I try to make do with 3-4 pairs:

1 pair of good hikers (medium high tops) that are suitable (read comfortable) for exploring in port and hiking in the woods. Water-proof is up to you but mine are not.

1 pair of good running shoes that are suitable for wearing on the ship or in port for non-trek excursions like the White Pass RR.

1 pair of black dress shoes (for all dinners regardless of dress mode)

1 pair of brown dress shoes (this is the optional 4th pair depending on length of the cruise and color of clothing taken)

For your kayaking, perhaps an old pair of sneakers that, if they were ruined, you would just toss.

Have a great cruise!

Nancynurse,

Hello, down there! :D This cold weather, needs to go. I don't know about you, but I've had enough of it this year. I love the Sarasota area. Occasionally, we go down to the beaches in the area. Try to stay warm, or you could be a wimp like me & stay inside with the heat on. :p

I don't mind the chilly temps too much, I just don't like it when the wind kicks in. When are you haeding to Alaska? We are flying out of Tampa on June 1st to Seattle, and we board on June 3rd. We are all going to try to get into my trailblazer with all of our luggage (there will be six of us) to try to save on the cost of parking the car. I don't know how we will do it. I was thinking that I might just buy a couple of sweat shirts in Seattle and not have to worry about lugging them initially. We will be gone for 14 days total, so I will probably have to find some washers in one of the ports, or use the Celebrity facilities for a price. I also bought some of those airtight bags to try to see if that will truly cut down on some of the space. You never know! Maybe they will work! Nancy

Us Floridians must make northerners crazy with our questions. I live even further south and we hardly ever get cold here, so please bear with me, and don't laugh.... What is fleece? Is that like warm ups or sweats? Choices of cold weather gear here are VERY limited and totally unavailable very soon. Most winter clothing is already on the markdown racks and we will be cruising Alaska before next years winter stuff hits the stores here. I need to buy this stuff now.

Oh to be so warm that you don't know what fleece is!! I'm envious.

Fleece is a type of fabric, it is polyester, and fluffy and warm. You can buy it in fabric stores or Wal-Marts (that have fabrics and sell it). Try putting 'fleece' in Google and you'll have lots of information about it.

It can be made into blankets, vests, scarfs and the like. It is very lightweight, but very bulky.

Hope that helps, and Good Luck!

Archived