Packing List for Alaska?

gf

Fleece! My mother joined us on our Alaskan cruise last summer. She's from southern Florida also. I was able to find her a fleece vest on ebay. She loved it! Fleece is fleece is fleece. Doesn't have to be a known brand. Got it for about $15 which didn't break any banks even though she may never use it again.

E-Bay was a great idea! I hadn't even thought of that. They have LOTS of fleece there (now that I know what it is). Sometimes it is described as POLAR fleece....is that what I should be looking to buy? Is there a difference between polar and regular fleece? I don't like being cold (I've always lived in Florida) I want to make sure I enjoy my trip to Alaska and I MUST be warm to do that. Thanks for your help. :)

You can also look up "ski gear/ Clothing" and find all kinds of ways to layer- from thermals that are made to keep you warm even when active... to fleece jackets, and ski jackets which usually have 2 layers- one fleece and an outer waterproof shell- which zip out from one another and thus give you two coat options as the day warms up... as well they have cool zippers on the sides that allow you to unzip them and allow some air in if you get too hot while being active and yet not have to take off and carry the coat.

Plus- If your not used to the cold- I would look for a hat that covers your ears... or 180's which are neat earmuffs that wrap around the back of your head... and don't look as goofy.

Oh- and ski socks are great-- they are made espically to be thin/ water-resistant/ dry quick/ and keep your feet nice and warm...

and the same goes for gloves- the really good kinds have 2 layers the inner being soft and fleece like- and the outer being water proff.... they too can come apart.

Do you need all of this? I don't know because I haven't been yet--- but I am taking it since we will be on a glacier for 4 hours... and on a moving ship on the water out on a balcony!!

Its great to see so many fellow Floridians with the same type of cold weather dressing questions that I have! Just as a suggestion, Old Navy carried a lot of fleece this year and you may still be able to find things on the clearance racks. Also, I saw some really top quality ski jackets with removable liners at Burlington Coat Factory for really good prices this week. But it looks like they will be running out of them soon, so you might want to check them out if you have one in your area!

What to wear and how cold you may be may also depend on where you are from. seeing that a lot of floridians are asking the questions, what's cold ot cool to them may not be so to the heartier souls, like myself, from the NorthEast. When the temp is around 40 around here, it's a heat wave and we can't wait to break out the spring wear.

Yes, warm is warm, and last year, Alaska was warm, much warmer than normal. To say this year will be different or the same is pure specualtion. Go the the weather sites as your cruise approaches and get an idea of how the weather pattern has been for the weeks before you want to go. If your going July, expect certain warm days, but in June or May, you must bring clothes that may suit any type of day. Personally, I thing th ear muffs are a bit much, but for you warm weather, thin blooded group, what ever will keep you warm. Wahtever it is, have fun and just don't let the weather dictatte your trip. You can't do anything about the weather, so ignore it and do whatever you planned.

Hi All!

One thing I liked on both the Wilderness Express and the White Pass RR was that they offered reasonably priced fleece vests with the logo. Since we live up north they get a lot of use and I can remember the cruise - and look forward to the next one!

Hi all,

My husband and I are traveling on Coral Princess in May 2005. I've heard this is the driest month. My question is do we need waterproof boots/shoes or will regular tennis shoes be ok. Thanks for your help, Jori

Im from Texas and we dont get much cold here either,so when the temp drops under 70,Im cold...I went to Academy this weekend and bought several of those instant heat packs.I figure if I get really cold I can break one of those out and put in my jacket.They even have ones to put in your socks.They last for quite a few hours.So this might help some of my Florida friends stay warm.

You south Floridians might want to consider shopping online for things for your Alaska trip. LLBean has a good selection of fleece and Gor-tex, both of which you might actually use on occasion in south Florida. Even Penny's and Sear's should have a selection of winter wear. If you are going in May or early June you should expect some chilly weather. Remember, it is colder when it is raining and it rains a lot in Alaska.

We were in Tracy Arm in the rain and it was COLD on deck. It wasn't below freezing because it was all rain but it must have been in the 30's. I was wearing a long sleeved t-shirt, polar fleece pull-over, light weight down jacket, and a nylon rain resistant jacket on top. I also wore fleece gloves and headband ear covers. The rain resistant jacket wasn't, so it didn't take long to get throughly chilled. We went back to our cabin to warm up and dry out and discovered that the best view was from our own balcony which was covered and protected from the wind.

If you are going later you won't need as much as I took but you will still need something warm. Polar fleece is great with something waterproof but breathable over it.

No one has mentioned socks. Be sure that you bring warm socks and make sure they work with the shoes that you bring. They take up lots of room so your shoes should allow for that. I don't know about the rest of you, but when my feet are cold then the rest of me is cold too.

Sweat shirts are available everywhere, even on the ship. If you find that you need one then buy one at your first port of call. Then you will have a souvenir to take home with you.

Happy packing!

There is a product called Cuddl Duds. It's a "pretty" thermal underwear that is available in white, off white and black (I think) I found mine at Belk's, but I'm sure it's available other places. It's very thin and keeps you very comfortable. I wear mine when I go to a seminar at the conference center. I usually FREEZE while attending, but now I can actually pay attention w/o keeping my hand around a coffee cup!

This website has some: http://littlehousefashions.com/cuddudwarun.html

I'm considering a cruise to Alaska, and they will come with me!

Have fun on your cruise!

Jacquelyn :D

Thanks for the suggestion on the "Cuddl Duds." I was in JC Penney this weekend and they were having their big weekend sale. I needed a pair of warm underwear for our upcoming Alaska trip and found the "Duds" right in the undie department. Not only were they being sold at a reduced price, but they also had various types of "Duds" for me to choose from. Thanks again.

I love fleece! I wear it even in the summer if I can get away with it. Then again, we're Canadians, so you open our closet and all it is is his and hers fleece and plaid flannel. I wouldn't want to live somewhere I couldn't wear fleece! :D

(...please stop looking at me like I'm insane......)

Archived