London to Liverpool one day

milolii

Yes, but it'll be quite hard work because you'll waste a lot of the day just travelling. The train takes just over two hours each way - so by the time you add on the time to get from your hotel to the station and the same when you get back, that's about six hours of travelling that could be better spent sightseeing in London.

Thank you for your reply. Maybe next trip:)

Nah. You should do it. Liverpool will be the highlight of your trip. Journey time is now well under two hours each way with the new Pendolino trains. If you get the early train (cheaper on a weekend than midweek) you can be in the heart of Liverpool before 10am (train takes you right to the heart of the city) You could spend a great day in the city and leave between say 5 and 6pm, getting you back to our nation's capital before it's even dark.

You won't regret spending a day in Liverpool.:)

Check out www.thetrainline.com for timetables and fares. It's often cheaper to book two singles than a return (Have a play with the fare calculator)

Also here's a link to a thread on Liverpool to give you some ideas. For your information, the train comes into Lime Street Station, which is right in the heart of the city and literally across the street from St George's Hall.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=907552

Where do you see that? National Rail returns 2:08 as the journey time for pretty much every daytime train.

Friend's a driver with Virgin trains and he told me. Maybe that's the record or something. Still well worth the journey anyway even at 2 hours and 8 minutes each way. Plus you get to see a little of the reest of our beautiful country as the train flies through it. There's a lot more to England than just London, even though I love the place.:)

London is great and you could spend weeks there and not run out of things to see and do. However, London is no more representative of England than NYC is representative of the US. For those of us who live "up north" it is different enough to be almost like visiting another country. So if you get the chance to leave the city then I'd say do it. The trains are comfortable and fast and the journey isn't wasted. En route, you'll get the chance to see our beautiful, verdant countryside instead of a polluted, crowded, noisy, often unfriendly metropolis. Liverpool has a unique atmosphere, unique, friendly people and fabulous architecture. If you like the Beatles, certain locations will give you goosebumps. Go for it!

London is great and you could spend weeks there and not run out of things to see and do. However, London is no more representative of England than NYC is representative of the US. For those of us who live "up north" it is different enough to be almost like visiting another country. So if you get the chance to leave the city then I'd say do it. The trains are comfortable and fast and the journey isn't wasted. En route, you'll get the chance to see our beautiful, verdant countryside instead of a polluted, crowded, noisy, often unfriendly metropolis. Liverpool has a unique atmosphere, unique, friendly people and fabulous architecture. If you like the Beatles, certain locations will give you goosebumps. Go for it!

Obviously I'm with Longtonian, but perhaps without the downer on London, which I love to visit. If you have the time to visit our city you will love it. As your time will be limited though, it's probably best to plan the day so you cram the most in. I guarantee that a day in 'The Pool' will leave you wanting to come back, not just to Liverpool but to the beautiful north-west of England.:)

Obviously I'm with Longtonian, but perhaps without the downer on London, which I love to visit. If you have the time to visit our city you will love it. As your time will be limited though, it's probably best to plan the day so you cram the most in. I guarantee that a day in 'The Pool' will leave you wanting to come back, not just to Liverpool but to the beautiful north-west of England.:)

Sorry if I appeared to have a downer on London. I don't really. We get down there as much as possible; definitely only under two hours from Crewe! Always glad to get away from the hustle though. And we try and get to Liverpool at least once a month. We love our first view as we leave Lime Street - the fabulous St George's Hall contrasting sharply with the pub over the road (Penny Farthing? It's green and very seventies). Steve

Sorry if I appeared to have a downer on London. I don't really. We get down there as much as possible; definitely only under two hours from Crewe! Always glad to get away from the hustle though. And we try and get to Liverpool at least once a month. We love our first view as we leave Lime Street - the fabulous St George's Hall contrasting sharply with the pub over the road (Penny Farthing? It's green and very seventies). Steve

Yes it is the Penny Farthing. It's donkey's years since I've been in there. St George's Hall is a special building. If it was in London, Paris or Rome it would be on the cover of all the top magazines, but it's here and it's one of England's treasures!:)

Archived