Monarch Weekend Cruise Review 082310 W/Pics (The cruise we almost missed)

O.K.....Inquiring minds want to know more about this if you can provide more info. I have never heard of this happening before. Since when do staff members become detectives and start snooping around trying to figure out what passengers are drinking ???? Was this an officer or a just a crew member doing the detective work? All I can say is wow.

Sorry, but I don't have any more info. Staff was dressed in black coat. It was a little bit of an awkward situation. You wouldn't know anything happened, except for they were sitting right beside us and space was tight.

Great review and glad you were able to make it! We were on the same cruise and it was our fourth time on the Monarch. There is no charge for the cookies but I did notice on Saturday night when I went down to get a few cookies and brownies from DW the crew working at the latiudes was pushing the coffee. I had to tell him three times I didn't want to buy anything but he did give me a plate of cookies.

Looks like you had dinner with Harry. We met him in triva a few times and was funny and had good magic tricks.

Also was in the Viking Crown for sail away but didn't see someone kicked out but it did get packed once the rain started.

Glad you had a great cruise.a

Glad someone got some cookies out of them. ;)

That's Harry! We've been friends with him and his wife for about 13 years. That are great people and a very fun to cruise with.

As to the person with the bottle of liquid, I wouldn't necessarily call it getting kicked out, as I couldn't get the jest of the whole conversation, but they both left after he sniffed the cap and said that it was alcohol.

thanks for the review. I am going in september and looking forward to it now that i read your review.

Glad I could help.

Very nice review! I was on the Monarch in 2002--looks like they've done a bit of updating since then.

Yes, I believe they have. The were doing a lot of work on it during the cruise. The shut down the staircase by our room and removed all of the panels and replaced them on the walls.

Glad I could help.

Yes, I believe they have. The were doing a lot of work on it during the cruise. The shut down the staircase by our room and removed all of the panels and replaced them on the walls.

Thanks for your great review. DH and I are sailing the Monarch on September 10 and we can't wait. We just became Gold members as this will be our second RCI cruise. I was very excited to read in your review that there is a party with free drinks and hors d'ouvres for past guests of RCI. It is also nice that RCI provides champagne at the captain's welcome. I am REALLY looking forward to our weekend getaway after reading your review.

I have a question for you. Does the cafe offer those delicious croissant sandwiches that are available on the Liberty in the Cafe Promenade? I do like coffee so I just may break down and have a specialty coffee just to have a few of those.

On a personal note, I noticed you live in Crystal River. What a BEAUTIFUL area. I spend a lot of weekends there - my friend owns a house on the Rainbow River and we go up to Crystal River to eat dinner. Can you recommend some great restaurants in the area? Excuse me if this is not allowed on CC but I thought I'd take a chance ;)

Thanks for your great review. DH and I are sailing the Monarch on September 10 and we can't wait. We just became Gold members as this will be our second RCI cruise. I was very excited to read in your review that there is a party with free drinks and hors d'ouvres for past guests of RCI. It is also nice that RCI provides champagne at the captain's welcome. I am REALLY looking forward to our weekend getaway after reading your review.

I have a question for you. Does the cafe offer those delicious croissant sandwiches that are available on the Liberty in the Cafe Promenade? I do like coffee so I just may break down and have a specialty coffee just to have a few of those.

On a personal note, I noticed you live in Crystal River. What a BEAUTIFUL area. I spend a lot of weekends there - my friend owns a house on the Rainbow River and we go up to Crystal River to eat dinner. Can you recommend some great restaurants in the area? Excuse me if this is not allowed on CC but I thought I'd take a chance ;)

I think you will enjoy the welcome back party on the ship. It was on the second day at 10:45am.

I know the sandwiches you are talking about (because I love them), but I did not see them anywhere on the ship (not even the coffee cafe). They had some close to it in the windjammer, but it had no meat inside (which I found to be odd). I look forward to getting them on the Freedom in a few weeks.

Crystal River is a lovely area. I assume you are looking for authentic cuisine in town. In the last 10 years, several chain restaurants have moved in (Applebees, Chilis, Cody's) and there aren't that many locally owned restaurants anymore. The most authentic ones I can think of are:

Crackers - north end of town, you can sit inside or out by the water. Serves a variety of sandwiches and seafood. Excellent grouper fingers.

Ale House - south end of town, you can also sit inside or out. Serves about the same style of food. It is kind of hidden off the main road and the appearance of the place is not as nice as Cracker's, but they also have outstanding grouper fingers.

Charlies Fish House - A lot of locals like this place. We don't eat there because my wife doesn't eat seafood at all.

Cody's - Not authentic, but it is the closest thing to a steakhouse that we have.

Your other choices are Applebee's, Chili's, Pizza Hut, Denny's, Ruby Tuesday (in Inverness), Outback (in Inverness) and coming soon. . . Olive Garden (in Inverness). I might be forgetting a few, but these are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Excellent review. Loved your pictures. Awesome timing as your posts help me choose this ship. Now I can't wait!:D

Thanks again!

Your Welcome :D Glad I could help. It was a really fun trip and I look forward to doing it again in the future.

I think you will enjoy the welcome back party on the ship. It was on the second day at 10:45am.

I know the sandwiches you are talking about (because I love them), but I did not see them anywhere on the ship (not even the coffee cafe). They had some close to it in the windjammer, but it had no meat inside (which I found to be odd). I look forward to getting them on the Freedom in a few weeks.

Crystal River is a lovely area. I assume you are looking for authentic cuisine in town. In the last 10 years, several chain restaurants have moved in (Applebees, Chilis, Cody's) and there aren't that many locally owned restaurants anymore. The most authentic ones I can think of are:

Crackers - north end of town, you can sit inside or out by the water. Serves a variety of sandwiches and seafood. Excellent grouper fingers.

Ale House - south end of town, you can also sit inside or out. Serves about the same style of food. It is kind of hidden off the main road and the appearance of the place is not as nice as Cracker's, but they also have outstanding grouper fingers.

Charlies Fish House - A lot of locals like this place. We don't eat there because my wife doesn't eat seafood at all.

Cody's - Not authentic, but it is the closest thing to a steakhouse that we have.

Your other choices are Applebee's, Chili's, Pizza Hut, Denny's, Ruby Tuesday (in Inverness), Outback (in Inverness) and coming soon. . . Olive Garden (in Inverness). I might be forgetting a few, but these are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks for the recommendations! I went to Charlie's Fish House and LOVED it! I will definitely try Cracker's the next time I'm in town. I do love fish. I have been to the Outback in Inverness but I prefer to try the local fare. We often go to the Front Porch and Pie in Dunellon for their delicious lemon meringue pie.

I am jealous that you will soon be on the Freedom. I LOVED the Liberty. As you can see from my signature, I am an RCI newbie and just LOVED their ship. I am sad that there is just nothing available from Florida next summer. I am a teacher and we usually cruise the last week in May, after school is out in Brevard.

Thanks for the recommendations! I went to Charlie's Fish House and LOVED it! I will definitely try Cracker's the next time I'm in town. I do love fish. I have been to the Outback in Inverness but I prefer to try the local fare. We often go to the Front Porch and Pie in Dunellon for their delicious lemon meringue pie.

I am jealous that you will soon be on the Freedom. I LOVED the Liberty. As you can see from my signature, I am an RCI newbie and just LOVED their ship. I am sad that there is just nothing available from Florida next summer. I am a teacher and we usually cruise the last week in May, after school is out in Brevard.

I am glad you enjoyed it! I would eat there a lot more if my wife wasn't so anti-seafood (she is allergic to shellfish, so I cut her some slack ;)).

I am definitely looking forward to the Freedom :D

You will have a tough time next summer. Maybe you can find something during spring break?

Happy Cruising

I am glad you enjoyed it! I would eat there a lot more if my wife wasn't so anti-seafood (she is allergic to shellfish, so I cut her some slack ;)).

I am definitely looking forward to the Freedom :D

You will have a tough time next summer. Maybe you can find something during spring break?

Happy Cruising

Spring break is so expensive and there are so many kids. The last week in May is really perfect for us since most of the schools are still in session in most of the country. Also, the fares have not reached their peak yet. We may just HAVE to break down and do a Mediterranean cruise ;) I just HATE to fly. I may have to sacrifice and get on that plane. I won't have a problem going on Carnival either. I have just found that there are so many more activities on RCI and I really like that their pools are so much bigger and they are not salt water. Do you think that RCI will return to the USA? WHAT'S going on???

Spring break is so expensive and there are so many kids. The last week in May is really perfect for us since most of the schools are still in session in most of the country. Also, the fares have not reached their peak yet. We may just HAVE to break down and do a Mediterranean cruise ;) I just HATE to fly. I may have to sacrifice and get on that plane. I won't have a problem going on Carnival either. I have just found that there are so many more activities on RCI and I really like that their pools are so much bigger and they are not salt water. Do you think that RCI will return to the USA? WHAT'S going on???

We went on spring break once, we got a good deal on it, but it was very rowdy. Saw several fights! (only cruise we have seen it on). We agreed to avoid it again it at all possible (but if I could only go then, I would). Of course, I am not around kids year round like you are ;)

We did a Mediterranean cruise two years ago and it was by far the greatest trip we had ever been on.

Hopefully RCI will send some more ships back from Europe sooner than later. Guess it will depend on if they can fill all of them that they are sending over.

Great review with great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Thanks

Thank you for your pictures and review. We enjoyed our cruise on the Monarch last December, and that strong rum fruit punch at the C&A meeting. :D

Yes, we enjoyed the drinks too :D Good stuff

Thanks for your review w/pics. I haven't seen a review with pics of the Monarch in awhile. I also looked on the link to all your photos. You guys sure made the most of your 3 days, didn't you? Looks like you had a blast. Since I'm a foodie, I especially loved seeing the food pics. Have an awesome time next month on the Freedom. We can't wait to sail on her again. (Glad your wifes doctor gave her the go ahead for the trip)

Thanks so much...your review made me that much more excited about my Monarch 3 day cruise this month. I was worried it would be a flash and that I wouldnt like the smaller ship...but your review was great, I loved the pictures and now looking forward to it even more! Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Curtis,

What a great review and awesome pictures. Im not even sure this post will find its way to you.

My wife and I cruised on the Monarch 20 yrs ago when she was in her fresh out of the ship yard, bran new. We sailed on a 7 nights, southern carib out of San Juan.

Have not been on her since but i would lve to some day.

Check out my recent review of her. You will have a lauigh or two!

Carl

subscribed.gifA Monarch review from 1992!!!!

Curtis,

What a great review and awesome pictures. Im not even sure this post will find its way to you.

My wife and I cruised on the Monarch 20 yrs ago when she was in her fresh out of the ship yard, bran new. We sailed on a 7 nights, southern carib out of San Juan.

Have not been on her since but i would lve to some day.

Check out my recent review of her. You will have a lauigh or two!

Carl

subscribed.gifA Monarch review from 1992!!!!

Thanks :). This review was a while back, but not nearly as far as yours! Really enjoyed your review :)

All of the Lattetudes coffee counters operate like that.

At least that's what they'd like you to believe. We've never had to purchase anything at Lattitudes on either Monarch, Radiance, or Jewel. We just ask for the cookies, and they give them to us. I'm sure they want you to purchase coffee, but just tell them no, I'd just like that cookie, and they'll give it to you.

• 1 month later...

Guess who's going on Monarch in a few months? :D I found your review when searching for Monarch... great, as always! I need to go check out your pictures - I think it's going to be a shock compared to the last 4 cruises I've been on (Allure x2, Freedom, and Mariner), but I'm really looking forward to trying a "little" ship. :)

So, are you booked with the little man yet?

Archived