Unpleasant stuff on the Miracle :(

SailBabySail

Was it a Family Reunion big group? I saw a bunch of young thugs..no other name for them..block the Promenade Deck on the Glory..right outside of the Nightclub by the Sushi Bar..where the :"family" was having a private party..and threaten Japanese Kids..with their parents..coming to get Sushi.before Dinner and ..they would not let them pass. I mean it got heated. Carnival..and I love Carnival..keep going back and back...they did not handle that well. Two Minority Groups...and I felt the Japanese Group got screwed. I still have a nasty taste in my mouth over that one. It could have ended up in scuffles..it was that heated. And what an awful way for Foreigners to see USA Citizens. Some serioious discipline should have gone on that night..by concerned parents.

I also think that teens and young adults..do things in crowds of friends..relatives....that they would no do if they were alone..or with one or two friends. The Lord of the Flies effect. Carnival should do a better job of monitoring how many Teens are on ships..not children..but young males teens. And is that discrimination? No. That is not leading them into temptation. That is psychology Or making them do things to look "big" or "brave" or "on the edge." AND always sail..during the Fall...the Winter..The Spring..whenever the precious little darlings ARE IN SCHOOL getting learned and civilized. And I love kids..have one of own I dote on. Taught school for decades. Always liked my kids. Always liked my parents. But large groups of kids..particularly teen aged males..wondering around..where NO ONE knows their NAME and cannot report them to MOM and DAD......DISASTER.:eek:

Being menopausal, I don't hold my tongue well sometimes.

Let's hope I don't EVER witness anything similar, because I will speak up. :eek:

As will I. That's is what people tell me is my major fault....I'm brutally honest all the time.

I can chaulk up the messy little urchins to poor parenting BUT the guy who spit on the deck and the woman who clogged the toilet with her feminine product after unloading is what I find utterly disgusting as they are old enough to know better. It made me sick to think the crew had to clean this stuff up.

I saw a grown man spit crud into the pool on Carnival Ecstasy. I guess he thought no one saw it. Totally disgusting!

I don't think it's just people on board....this thread reminded me of when I was younger and worked in an upscale grocery store. Someone using the bathroom had some tummy troubles and it ended up everywhere(tmi I know). Well the baggers at this store also clean the bathrooms in the evening. The poor guy who's turn it was looked like he was gonna die. I ended up doing it since I had a head cold and couldn't smell anything and I had been working in an daycare and was used to seeing it....

Got to go home early and a nice bonus on my next check.

I sat and watched while parents with at least 4 children, the little boy took the plastic flower centerpiece and pulled it apart leaf by leaf until it was totally destroyed. I so wanted to say something to the kid I was watching destroy the centerpiece and his mom not saying word 1.

A cruise can be entertaining ... no doubt. I also have seen kids with brillant manners.

I would have been very vocal and blunt. Perhaps it would be helpful if more people would "say something!"

I call them "Bus Riders"...and sadly, you can probably find them on every cruise line these days......

Uh....I'm a bit confused by this. As a NYC resident, I use, and love our bus system. Even our mayor, Mike Bloomberg (a self made billionaire) uses public transit.

I call this kind of people "hillbillies"....and yes...they let "hillbillies" on every cruise line.

OK...no flaming please....

Point is...think before you write...you could be offending.

It isn't limited to children or teens. I've had very few issues with the kids or teens on board my cruises and our last cruise was over Christmas when it was packed with families.

The rudest person we encountered was an elderly couple that tried to line jump when we were re-entering through customs in Puerto Rico. Our family of 5 had filled out one customs form for the entire family. After waiting in line for 20 minutes this elderly couple came up from the side and tried to insert themselves in between our family members.

My husband is a bit clueless and didn't see it as they were behind him, but between the last couple of us. I truly could see him not noticing and having customs waive 5 people through and myself and my son be stuck there without a customs form. groan. I said something to the elderly man who tried to ignore me. I could tell from his reaction he heard me though. Finally he turned around and muttered something about waiting for a long time. I told him the five of us had to go through customs as a group. He turned his back on me so I lost it, grabbed my luggage and my teenage son and bulldozed him, his wife and their luggage out of my way. I think I was yelling some things I can't repeat here when I did it. We went through customs as a group and left the people behind us to deal with the couple trying to pick up their luggage that I had scattered and knocked over.

Just my opinion, but I think it all started with the "Dr. Spock" generation! Just what the hell is a "time out"? How about a good whack on the butt? (No, I don't mean a beating,,,but a little bit of discipline certainly wouldn't hurt the child, or anybody else. :cool:

"SKY"

It could be the generation of children you scarred with your corporal punishment is getting back at you by allowing their own children to run wild.;)

Why Yes, yes they do...I wanted to advise a mom just yesterday, to please mind her child in the Grocery store.

I mean he was out of control, punching things, and squeaking toys, and so on...

The parents didn't flinch...:eek:

I suppose because they are numb to it.

But the rest of the store was getting annoyed, and as far away as possible.;)

I hear "I pick my battles"...all the time when it comes to letting kids do what the hell they want, "I'd let him/her quietly sit and destroy someone else's property than tell them no and have to deal with them throwing a fit"...and I think well if you're not going to win the small battles what happens with the BIG STUFF happens????

ok, so I've seen it all and agree with everything everyone is saying, This isn't as major but it really bugs me when I'm trying to swim in the ADULT pool and can't move because there are 5 bajillion kids in it and the same with the hot tub. Shouldn't Carnival staff kick the kids out? I mean it should be the parents but since we all agree that some parents don't do the right thing, shouldn't Carnival make them?

The only time I have seen it enforced at a pool is on Disney. I only saw one kid try to get in the adult pool on a Disney cruise and a staff person came right over and told them they could not go in the pool or even be in that area.

I work in the education field. Just recently i had a student pull a knife on another student and then hold it to my throat and threaten that I don't say a word...

Kids light cigarettes in hall , swear and use bad behavior. Call the parents and they say" not my Johnny ! What did you do to provoke him"...

There is no accountability and no discipline. Our hands are tied !!!

The14 year old that pulled the knife on the other sutdent got two weeks suspension ! Yup, he wasn't charged because we couldn't identfy the color of the knife ( Hard to do when you are in shock) and it is against your neck ....

Scary thing, they will soon be lethal adults with no boundries , no direction and no regard for society. Then they will produce offspring....

My 5th grade teacher told us a story about a kid she had a few years before us. He'd act up in class, she called his mother and she said 'not my Johnny'...so the teacher invited the mother to come in and watch through the window above the door (very old school building). She said the mother wasn't there 5 mins before Johnny started acting up and that door FLEW open and the mother grabbed Johnny and "set him straight".

I often "knew" better than to act up because of the 1 or 2 times my mom "set me straight"...I mean once you know they won't accept bad behavoir you act right...instead now they get by with 1 thing, then another...and they test the limits.

Parents who let their children misbehave on cruises(and for that matter anywhere) is exactly why my husband and I will never cruise again in the Summer. We did that on our 2nd cruise and never again. If we can only vacation in the summer we will do something else but I won't be held captive on a cruise ship with that many misbehaving children! We don't have children yet but he nor I were ever allowed to behave like that even at home much less in public!! It amazes me what some parents just seem to ignore.

it is a sad commentary that this thread exists:(

yes-I ,too, have witnessed some bad behavior on cruises..children and adults alike...and I have spoken up when at times...! (in a low and respectful tone) as I will not enable others to spoil my (and others) vacation.

Take a cross section of almost any 2,000 strangers, stick them in a tightly enclosed area with no easy escape for a week, charge them for it and this will happen. Happens everyday everywhere, we just missed it as we live inside our normal world's each day. No excuses for bad behavior or rudeness, just what happens when you do not choose your house guests many of whom also feel entitled due to their one week a year sans work.

I think these incidents are only more noticeable because of the close proximity and living closely around strangers for a week or so. Although each of those incidents described are unpleasant if nor downright disgusting, they are a slice of life today. Visit a large shopping mall - now imagine living with all of those people for a week in an area the size of one store.

I think cruising requires an attitude that straddles chilling out in the face of shock and complaining where useful. If ones strays too far one way they will either spend the entire vacation annoyed or taken advantage of. I tend to lean towards the former and not let it get me worked up - that's what margaritas are for.

We've half-jokingly stated to friends that cruising would be the perfect vacation if it weren't for the people.

On behalf of all fellow polite cruisers, this year we are taking a stand. Thanks to an advertisement in the back of a comic book, we will no longer tolerate having sand kicked in the face of our vacation. It's time to stop being sheep and politely confront those showing disrespect and poor manners.

bodybuilder_IMG_0082-1.jpg

It's time to stop being sheep and politely confront those showing disrespect and poor manners.

While well intentioned and self-empowering, it will more often lead to more frustration in these situations.

Telling a rude child who is a stranger he is rude is usually an empty, self-pleasuring act - many kids will ignore you anyway or worse, bait you into becoming the rude one. They are a direct result of their upbringing and your 30 second tongue lashing will not erase years of bad behavior reinforcement training. if it makes you feel better go for it - some find it better to move on and solve problems that can be solved, like a cool drink and some sun.

I have had and seen several confrontations on cruises that only result in fodder for stories when back home. The cruise management can only create an environment that is safe and somewhat orderly - changing peoples manners and social behavioral skills is best left to parents, analysts and daredevils.

Archived