these are the Balcony's you don't want to book

poppiecat

These type of enclosed balconies are an acquired taste. Queen Mary 2 and Carnival Dream have them, albeit much lower and in the hull as opposed to the superstructure, as do other ships. The do offer considerable more privacy to keep peepers from peering around the dividers into your 'private' balcony and into your room.

It is in the best interest of consumers to do research to determine exactly what 'type' of balcony they have, as we all know ALL balonies are not created equal and especially in todays modern cruise ships with these extended bump-outs, angles, and overhangs.

If I am not mistaken didnt NCL reclassify these particular 'enclosed' balconies on all sailings after 5/7/2011 as LARGE BALCONY staterooms? They appear at the 'top' of the balcony categories just before you cross over into Family Balcony categories and higher. They appear on the 'after' May 2011 as a different color (medium gray):

EPCIDECk1.JPG

EPICDECk2.JPG

do you think this will be the same with cabin 10004 that i have booked and that they have advertised as a "deluxe balcony"? i don't want a balcony like 11016! We contaced ***** and they said that no other cabins were available...and they are denying the whole fact that the end cabins are in the hull!

do you think this will be the same with cabin 10004 that i have booked and that they have advertised as a "deluxe balcony"? i don't want a balcony like 11016! We contaced ***** and they said that no other cabins were available...and they are denying the whole fact that the end cabins are in the hull!

Actually not sure as it looks like you have an open balcony with a steel divider that is BEFORE the three hulled in cabins on your deck.

bled01 is correct. Look at the actual photo above and go down one deck from the highlighted cabin on Deck 11. See the three 'enclosed balconies'? Yours appears to be the open balcony just to the left (or forward) of those three enclosed balconies. Yours is one of two 'open' balconies fwd of those three enclosed balconies on Deck 10. It does not have a glass railing but a steel bulwark but is also not as enclosed as the others and more open air.

When NCL says they do not have 'hull balconies' on the EPIC technically they are absolutely correct! These enclosed balconies are NOT in the hull, they are in the superstructure. This doesn't however change the fact that they are there, and that people should make every effort look at deck plans AND pictures of your ship before picking out a cabin. I also understand this may not have been an option if someone booked a cabin before detailed exterior pictures were released late in her construction.

There are a TON of great exterior pictures now available on sdmike's photo ablum posted on the N.E.S.S. thread (see Page 57 post 1137, and specifically the Roatan and Cozumel album pages), as well as here:

http://www.cruisefans.nl/rotterdam2010/nepica19061004.html

Archived