A VIP perk Carnival doesn't have that would be nice

ManyMore

Repeat customers are nice, but not essential - they don't grow the business. The only way to grow the biz is to attract new customers.

Repeat customers and new customers are BOTH essential to grow the business. If there are no repeat customers you have to constantly rely on only new customers. It would be like trying to fill a bucket with a huge hole in the bottom.

Repeat customers are what keep a company afloat (pardon the pun) You need to have a certain amount of customer base you can rely on to keep coming back to insure that you can build more ships or expand to new things to attract new customers.

The Concierge Lounge is for suites, regardless of how many cruises you have. Diamond plus (24 credits) get complimentary access as a perk. At 10 credits, you get access to the Diamond Lounge, which is the same thing, and also has free drinks and free 24 hr capuccino machine. On older ships that don't have a Diamond Lounge, there is a happy hour every evening in one of the lounges. Beer, wine, and sodas are free. Mixed drinks are 25% off.

These are really good perks, and I really think Carnival cruisers would not consider this snobbish if Carnival were to offer it.

Perhaps they should consider updating their website?

Repeat customers grow nothing. In hard economic times they help, but they are not essential.

Considering only 17% of the American public have ever been on a cruise, it sure seems as though repeat cruisers are what grow the company the most.

Perhaps they should consider updating their website?

To what? Everything I mentioned is on their website.

Repeat customers grow nothing. In hard economic times they help, but they are not essential.

You never get 100% repeat - you get something less and that will diminish to 0 without new customers. Repeat customers highly overrate themselves.

Carnival did just fine without a rewards program - it is not essential to their business model.

If people are going to whine and complain, I would prefer Carnival to abolish the program altogether. It will reduce the price of my cruises and/or will increase the bottom line for shareholders, of which I am one.

Carnival started as a non-elitist cruise line - all cruisers created equally. rewards programs upset that model and start establishing classes which is not in line with the founder's vision.

I agree with you that the rewards program is not essential but I strongly disagree with you that repeat customers are not essential. If each ship only held new customers there would no way Carnival could fill them.

I agree with you that the rewards program is not essential but I strongly disagree with you that repeat customers are not essential. If each ship only held new customers there would no way Carnival could fill them.

Bribes are not required for repeat business - except perhaps on other cruise lines. If you offer a decent product, the repeat business will occur - you don't have to cater to it. Likewise, the recommendations (or not), won't depend on some trinket.

For all the complaints some seem to have about the program, perhaps that money might be better spent on perks for first time cruisers who might appreciate them a little more.

Bribes are not required for repeat business - except perhaps on other cruise lines. If you offer a decent product, the repeat business will occur - you don't have to cater to it. Likewise, the recommendations (or not), won't depend on some trinket.

For all the complaints some seem to have about the program, perhaps that money might be better spent on perks for first time cruisers who might appreciate them a little more.

Name a consumer based industry that does not have a loyalty program (or as you describe...bribes:confused:).

My 10th cruise is next week, so I will get to experience the platinum level for the first time then. What exactly is the laundry thing? Is it just one bag or can I do that multiple times all week? Do they know I am platinum or do i have to tell the laundry people or the room steward that?

Also, you get a free entry to the blackjack tournament- has anyone here taken advantage of that?

Both DH and I are, and yes we do! Really kills a sea day if you're not a sun bunny. Last month we both entered, both lasted in points till the last hand, and DH was beat out by one player. Great fun! He was the leader for most of the whole afternoon, as we always try to play the first round. :D Go For It!! GOOD LUCK! Going again next week, guess when sea day and BJ Torny is? FRIDAY THE 13TH! Gotta think this might be really fun!

I agree with you that at the end of the day overall product quality and value will dictate whether someone returns and loyalty programs are not necessary. But I still disagree strongly with your statement: "Repeat customers grow nothing. In hard economic times they help, but they are not essential." Carnival would not be able to fill their ships without repeat customers.

I agree with you that at the end of the day overall product quality and value will dictate whether someone returns and loyalty programs are not necessary. But I still disagree strongly with your statement: "Repeat customers grow nothing. In hard economic times they help, but they are not essential." Carnival would not be able to fill their ships without repeat customers.

Cruise lines would not build new ships without a growth in customer base, or they would not be able to fill the existing and new ships.

You will never get 100% repeat business, so the only way to fill existing ships, much less new ships, is with new customers.

Obviously there is repeat business, but it is impossible to get over 100% of past cruisers to cruise again. It is impossible to grow the business with just repeat customers.

Only a small percentage of people have ever cruised - there is a huge untapped market out there and that is where the growth is going to come from.

As for cruising, when you are the leader, why would you want to imitate number 2?

Show me your source that says Carnival Cruise Line (not the parent company) is the leader. I have news for you. There is another cruise line out there that carries more passengers than Carnival.

Again, you are wrong. I cruise several cruise lines, but I give most of my repeat business to RCI because of the perks. I get priority boarding, free alcohol, free photos, free dinner in specialty restaurants, balcony discounts, free specialty coffees, free behind the scenes tours, private lounge, priority disembarkment, etc, etc, etc.

CCL is a decent product, but so are all the other cruise lines. When two cruise lines are as similar as CCL and RCI, why would I choose the line that gives me nothing over the line that gives me all the stuff I mentioned and more? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Show me your source that says Carnival Cruise Line (not the parent company) is the leader. I have news for you. There is another cruise line out there that carries more passengers than Carnival.

I believe they hold 50% of the business and RCL has 30%. We tried NCL this year and was not happy. I would definitely try RCCL when their price is one I'm happy with.

Again, you are wrong. I cruise several cruise lines, but I give most of my repeat business to RCI because of the perks. I get priority boarding, free alcohol, free photos, free dinner in specialty restaurants, balcony discounts, free specialty coffees, free behind the scenes tours, private lounge, priority disembarkment, etc, etc, etc.

And you pay mor for it. I can take 2 cruise based my searching for the price of one.

CCL is a decent product, but so are all the other cruise lines. When two cruise lines are as similar as CCL and RCI, why would I choose the line that gives me nothing over the line that gives me all the stuff I mentioned and more? Seems like a no brainer to me.

I do agree with you here. I do not cruise RCCL because have no cruises w/ them. Carnival always treats me good and gives me some great deals. I've always got a bathrobe on every cruise w/ CCL no matter the category or cruise. I think they'll should provide them to everyone.

I believe they hold 50% of the business and RCL has 30%.

And you pay mor for it. I can take 2 cruise based my searching for the price of one.

That's the common misconception. Carnival Corp holds 50%, not Carnival Cruise Line. The 50% pertains to all the cruise lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella.

Also, no I do not pay more for RCI. I can list example after example, but the idea RCI is always more expensive is simply not true.

I totally agree with you on this point. It is a no brainer.

That's the common misconception. Carnival Corp holds 50%, not Carnival Cruise Line. The 50% pertains to all the cruise lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella.

Also, no I do not pay more for RCI. I can list example after example, but the idea RCI is always more expensive is simply not true.

and having agreed with on the last point, I would disagree on this one;). While it might be true for you (equating pricing between Carnival and Royal), I have looked at many cruises in many cities at many different times of years, and while there are exceptions, overall Carnival is cheaper a majority of the time (not always and some markets have reasons for the exceptions being true).:cool:

We got picture frames on the Legend and we were told they will be changing it soon. I too have thermos X several, Tote bags X several and now picture frames X several......makes good presents for Christmas when someone you can't remember the name of shows up with a present.....ahh....hold on....got yours right here......

I totally agree with you on this point. It is a no brainer.

Perks could be a tipping point if both cruises were otherwise the same but rarely is that the case. Normally I choose based on itinerary, ship amenities and price. The perks are a bonus but not a "make or break" factor.

As stated earlier, some cruise lines have to bribe passengers to sail with them. Carnival doesn't have to.

Carnival makes money - the competition scrapes by. Carnival pays cash for cruises ships. Royal needed a foreign government to subsidize them (and the shipyard) so they will be able to take delivery of the newest behemoth Mall of the Seas.

If Royal is such a fine product, why are you wasting so much time on the Carnival board? :rolleyes:

It still Carnival anyway you look @ it. They are doing something right. On RCl note, not in my experiences comparing similar internary and cruise days. JMO

If Royal is such a fine product, why are you wasting so much time on the Carnival board? :rolleyes:

Are you able to comprehend that some people aren't loyal to one single line. Some of us actually like to cruise different cruise lines? Royal most certainly is a fine product, but so is Carnival.

Then again, never mind. You've been corrected so many times in this thread by so many people, I can see you wouldn't understand that.

By the way, I do not recall bashing Carnival on this thread, so I don't see why you felt the need to go there with RCI. When was the last time you cruised with them?

As stated earlier, some cruise lines have to bribe passengers to sail with them. Carnival doesn't have to.

Carnival makes money - the competition scrapes by. Carnival pays cash for cruises ships. Royal needed a foreign government to subsidize them (and the shipyard) so they will be able to take delivery of the newest behemoth Mall of the Seas.

I totally agree with you. More people will agree w/ you on the RCL board. As I said, one day I try them but for now I still love my Carnival Fun Ship:D I have nothing against u so don't think that. It is an indivdual choice and is not right for everyone.

Are you able to comprehend that some people aren't loyal to one single line. Some of us actually like to cruise different cruise lines? Royal most certainly is a fine product, but so is Carnival.

Then again, never mind. You've been corrected so many times in this thread by so many people, I can see you wouldn't understand that.

By the way, I do not recall bashing Carnival on this thread, so I don't see why you felt the need to go there with RCI. When was the last time you cruised with them?

I knew there was a reason you were on my ignore list. Actually a couple - insults and misinformation.

Archived