Do men really hate wearing suits?

elena7seas

I have to wonder how many women would be in favour of formal night if they actually had to wear formal wear, ie long gowns etc. vs the cocktail dresses and slacks/blouses that they refer to as dressing formal. I suspect the tone of this post may be different. Onessa referred to it in part.

I have to wonder how many women would be in favour of formal night if they actually had to wear formal wear, ie long gowns etc. vs the cocktail dresses and slacks/blouses that they refer to as dressing formal. I suspect the tone of this post may be different. Onessa referred to it in part.

I AGREE!!!!!

Look how women's formal wear used to be:

betqo1.jpg

compared to how it is now:

35kn04k.jpg

Folks, it is really simplistic. For those of us who possess good taste and proper manners, it is no problem. For the others, possibly a refresher course in good manners may be helpful.

You may be right about the "refresher course in good manners". I was always taught that good manners dictated that you would never make negative comments about what others choose to wear!;)

I just get tired of the yakety yakety about suits vs sports jackets and tux/dinner jacket vs. suits. I may be missing something but I have yet to read any female who has a big push on for tux/dinner jacket make the identical push for formal gowns vs cocktail dresses/pants&blouses etc. The 'scales of justice' seem to be tilting very much to one end of the the spectrum. It may be time for the male of the species to 'man the baricades' as it were.

Edited by iancal

this thread was supposed to be asking if MEN hated wearing suits on vacation -

its turned into a fashion thead dominated by the women.

Go figure..

My career calls for me to wear a business suit. When I go on vacation, it is a break from my day to day activities, but more importantly it is a break from my work. Thus I prefer NOT to wear a suit (which reminds me of work). When I cruise, I do bring along one suit for the formal nights. The dreaded suit is donned just prior to departing the cabin for dinner and I quickly change back to my resort casual for the remainder of the evening's activities. My favorite type of dress attire for dinner would be slacks with a silk shirt.

I have seriously considered taking a Windstar cruise based on their more relaxed / casual (no suits) dress code. However, I really do enjoy X (suit or no suit).

You may be right about the "refresher course in good manners". I was always taught that good manners dictated that you would never make negative comments about what others choose to wear!;)

Good manners is acting and speaking in a way to make others in your presence comfortable, regardless of their faux pas.

Have you heard the story of the Queen dining with a dignitary from xyz country. At one point, the diners were presented with finger bowls, containing warm water and a slice of lemon. The dignitary proceded to drink it and the Queen, with her impeccable manners, followed suit.

Many years ago, my family was on a cruise where our tablemates were a middle-aged couple from England. On the first formal night, where the captain stood at the DR entrance greeting the passengers, we were flabbergasted when they arrived in their formal wear: he was wearing a lavender tux, with a frilled shirt whose ruffles were all the colors of the rainbow. She was wearing a floor-length gown covered in multi-colored sequins, and her earrings were large plastic spheres with lights in them - that flashed on and off, in different colors! Hugely entertaining, but what do you think - was that formal wear? He had a tux and bowtie, she wore an evening gown...but they looked like a circus act!

My career calls for me to wear a business suit. When I go on vacation, it is a break from my day to day activities, but more importantly it is a break from my work. Thus I prefer NOT to wear a suit (which reminds me of work). When I cruise, I do bring along one suit for the formal nights. The dreaded suit is donned just prior to departing the cabin for dinner and I quickly change back to my resort casual for the remainder of the evening's activities. My favorite type of dress attire for dinner would be slacks with a silk shirt.

I have seriously considered taking a Windstar cruise based on their more relaxed / casual (no suits) dress code. However, I really do enjoy X (suit or no suit).

If you really enjoy X, do you want to turn it into Carnivore? Maybe you enjoy it because it attracts a different clientele (most of which enjoy formal evenings. Slacks with a silk shirt is perfect for most nights on the ship. You do not have to wear a suit which reminds you of work. You can wear a tuxedo for formal nights. Surely, you do not wear a tuxedo to work so this should not ruin your vacation. You can leave the dreaded business suits at home.

formal wear: he was wearing a lavender tux, with a frilled shirt whose ruffles were all the colors of the rainbow. She was wearing a floor-length gown covered in multi-colored sequins, and her earrings were large plastic spheres with lights in them - that flashed on and off, in different colors! Hugely entertaining, but what do you think - was that formal wear?

Yep! :)

It is the Caribbean...it is hot out!

Putting on a dress shirt, then another thick layer of a blazer or jacket is crazy in that climate.

Women can get away with thin, gauzy, lightweight outfits, but men are stuck in multiple layers. It is not enjoyable. Why would anyone "want" to spend their vacation uncomfortable and hot?

Mike

Mike is my hero. :D

Based on my experience, the clientele of Celebrity and Carnival are not that different, with the exception of short cruises on their older ships. Both cruise lines have a very diverse passenger base which include people from all income and educational levels. This is probably due to the fact that their pricing is very similar with the exception of suites. Suites on Celebrity are more expensive than on Carnival but Carnival frequently has higher prices for its interior, ocean view and balcony cabins.

The main differences are that Carnival has less space per passenger, plays louder music, and is more kid friendly. For this reason, I prefer Celebrity when traveling with just my husband or another couple, but prefer Carnival or Royal Caribbean for family reunion cruises that include children.

One of the arguments that I haven't read in the tux vs. business casual argument is this:

Which looks better?

I mean I've seen some really bad fitting tux's on people. At the same time I've seen many people, myself included, who wear a jacket, no tie, and look better than those in "formal wear". See below:

2iiztdd.jpg1o0lfk.jpg

Sorry but the "formal wear" on the left (ignore the shortness) looks like a waiter in the MDR. On the right is something I would wear, minus the jeans (dress pants) and looks better. Just like woman's formal wear today has evolved from formal wear in the past:

9kt8nd.jpg2zix8vb.jpg

For the 'It's hot and humid' rationale, I'd suggest you cruise on ships that have airconditioning.....just a thought.

I live in Fla and wear a suit for business when needed. I don't complain to my company or my customer that they make me wear this - I make good money and part of it is wearing a suit. So now, I go on vacation and wear as I wish. But one or two nights (nights, inside, at sea where there a lovely breeze and its not nearly as 'hot and humid' as on land) I put on a suit to make my wife happy (giving me 'that look'), I feel good about it (yes, it is subjective) and I enjoy being part of a special event.

One situation, I get paid to do so, so I do. Another situation, my wife or guidelines to be part of a nice friendly group suggest I do so, but I won't. I do for money, but won't do it for my love or for a group of friends??? OK, don't. I do not care what you wear. I don't look around to check. But just realize, you may be making the statement that you do it for money but to heck with your wife or partner.

Denny

One of the arguments that I haven't read in the tux vs. business casual argument is this:

Which looks better?

I mean I've seen some really bad fitting tux's on people. At the same time I've seen many people, myself included, who wear a jacket, no tie, and look better than those in "formal wear". See below:

2iiztdd.jpg1o0lfk.jpg

Sorry but the "formal wear" on the left (ignore the shortness) looks like a waiter in the MDR. On the right is something I would wear, minus the jeans (dress pants) and looks better. Just like woman's formal wear today has evolved from formal wear in the past:

9kt8nd.jpg2zix8vb.jpg

Pardon me, but the guy on the right, even with slacks doesn't look like he belongs with the lady on the right. That's what my husband would wear for smart casual.

Pardon me, but the guy on the right, even with slacks doesn't look like he belongs with the lady on the right. That's what my husband would wear for smart casual.

I agree with you on that!

There appears to be two contingencies: one that wishes the cruiseline to maintain the status quo regarding formalwear and another who would prefer Smart Casual. I guess we will have to "wait and see" to learn the outcome. So far, it seems that the cruiseline is on the fence, not wanting to discourage anyone from sailing with them.