Don't Pull out of California!!!

Luv Cruises

:confused:The cruise lines who pull out of California are (no pun intended) missing the boat! Celebrity has the monopoly on the Pacific Coastal Cruises. Their 10 day wine cruise was THE BEST CRUISE we've ever taken (with exception of the food quality) and we've been on over 20 cruises. The only other cruise line who has Pacific Coastal Cruises is Holland America and their longest one is 5 days. Not enough time to see or do anything. If the other cruise lines would give Celebrity a run for their money, and have 10 day Pacific Coastal cruises with stops in Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey, Catalina, L.A. or San Diego, then I'm sure they'd have plenty of passengers. Who needs Mexico? We could never understand why they don't have longer Pacific Coastal cruises. People don't want 3 and 4 day cruises they want 7 - 14 days! Come on and wake up Holland America, Royal Caribbean and all you others! The west coast has tons to offer passengers!

We're going to book our second Pacific Coastal with Celebrity very soon.

We did a repo out of SF on Royal several years ago ... we still talk about how we loved that one. It stopped in Astoria, Seattle, Victoria, Naniamo, Vancouver. We had a blast and loved the ports. I would love to see more out of SF ... but the options are limited. I read where a ship sailing under a foreign flag cannot stop at US ports only - they have to include another country in the itinerary (i.e. Canada or Mexico). :confused:

:confused:The cruise lines who pull out of California are (no pun intended) missing the boat! Celebrity has the monopoly on the Pacific Coastal Cruises. Their 10 day wine cruise was THE BEST CRUISE we've ever taken (with exception of the food quality) and we've been on over 20 cruises. The only other cruise line who has Pacific Coastal Cruises is Holland America and their longest one is 5 days. Not enough time to see or do anything. If the other cruise lines would give Celebrity a run for their money, and have 10 day Pacific Coastal cruises with stops in Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey, Catalina, L.A. or San Diego, then I'm sure they'd have plenty of passengers. Who needs Mexico? We could never understand why they don't have longer Pacific Coastal cruises. People don't want 3 and 4 day cruises they want 7 - 14 days! Come on and wake up Holland America, Royal Caribbean and all you others! The west coast has tons to offer passengers!

I agree with you, we live in Florida and you can only do the Caribbean so many times:( if they had longer cruises that did the west coast, I know a few cruisers who would love it and it would be cost effective to fly there for a longer cruise not just a few days.

I agree with you, we live in Florida and you can only do the Caribbean so many times:( if they had longer cruises that did the west coast, I know a few cruisers who would love it and it would be cost effective to fly there for a longer cruise not just a few days.

You are so right Jeanne! We are from Florida too and going to the west coast was great! The ports all up and down there are fabulous with so much to see. Because of the "Jones Act" one foreign port has to be included. So what's so hard about that? But I'd rather fly to Vancouver or Victoria than to Mexico right now. Not too safe there.

Here's another heartfelt plea for more itineraries from the West Coast! With flying becoming more expensive and unpleasant it just increases my desire for cruises out of a port I can DRIVE to...

My wish list for West Coast cruises:

-More and longer (7-14 days) Coastal itineraries and NOT just the repositioning cruises in May and September. The California Coast is wonderful all year 'round.

-Summertime options! It's difficult for us to cruise before mid-May and impossible to go after mid-September. This is precisely the time frame that the few Left Coast ships we have desert us! We can't be the only ones that still work and need to schedule around school and job obligations -- there should be enough of us to fill a ship or two, doncha think?

-We LOVE Alaska but please develop a few new ports -- Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway are GREAT but a different port or two would be very enticing.

-Princess -- PLEASE bring back the round-trip LA/Panama Canal!! It would be PERFECT!! We saw it a few years ago but didn't book because we already had a trip planned -- and it's never been offered again. (Note to all other cruise lines -- we would do this itinerary in a heartbeat on any of ya'll! Step up and fill the gap!!!)

Whew! This post seems to have hit a nerve with me, huh?

Happy sailing everyone,

Becca

I do. Lived in California and Vancouver my entire life. Give me a warm Mexico cruise anytime.

We did a repo out of SF on Royal several years ago ... we still talk about how we loved that one. It stopped in Astoria, Seattle, Victoria, Naniamo, Vancouver. We had a blast and loved the ports. I would love to see more out of SF ... but the options are limited. I read where a ship sailing under a foreign flag cannot stop at US ports only - they have to include another country in the itinerary (i.e. Canada or Mexico). :confused:

You are so right Jeanne! We are from Florida too and going to the west coast was great! The ports all up and down there are fabulous with so much to see. Because of the "Jones Act" one foreign port has to be included. So what's so hard about that? But I'd rather fly to Vancouver or Victoria than to Mexico right now. Not too safe there.

Just to clarify: it's the Passenger Services Vessels Act, which concerns cruiseships. The Jones Act refers to cabotage.

I hope everyone makes the cruiselines aware that we on the West Coast want ships sailing from our ports, too. And I imagine there's cruisers elsewhere that want to see the West Coast and combine that with a cruise.

As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I like Homeland Cruising (since I am not allowed to fly), I foresse the cruise lines all but out of California, Florida and Seattle in five years or less. They are none too happy about the stricter legislation (the safety act and the upgrades to their requirements vis a vis the ADA), and feel that they can make more money in Europe and the Exotics (South America, South Pacific, Oz/NZ, et cetera) than they can here.

They're slowly but surely pulling out of Alaska, repositioning ships from FL to NYC for the Caribbean, but cutting down on the number of trips, pulling out of Mexico......it's in the cards. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but not too sure at all that I am.

If you decide to pull out of the Left Coast you are more than welcome to visit Galveston. We will have the Carnival Magic and RCCL Mariner of the Seas making us thier new homeport in 2011. We have plenty of room for a Princess ship or two. And if we run out of room in Galveston, there is the new terminal in Houston that awaits you.:D:p

We love sailing close to home also.

San Diego is building a brand new cruise ship terminal, so I don't think they would do that without commitment from the cruise lines.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/broadway-cruise-ship-terminal.html

The saying from Field of Dreams "If you Build it they Will Come" doesn't always work. One good example is the Houston Cruiseship Terminal. It's a state of the art terminal but has only been used once for a few weeks while Galveston repaired thier facilities after Hurricane Ike. I hope the cruise lines don't move anymore ships off the Left Coast but the situation is Mexico cantinues to deteriate and that has proved to be a bane to all the cruises.

Dave

Hurray for PRINCESS!!

I just want to point out that instead of pulling out of CA, Princess has added 3 brand new CA Coastal itiniaries out of LA starting next year, which no other line does! They have also expanded their Hawaii sailings by letting Sapphire in on the action. And they have the nicest ships in Alaska (instead of the older, smaller ones like HAL and Celebrity).

This shows their committment to the left coast and I am going to reward them by sailing with them as much as I can!

Don't think for a minute Royal Caribbean that we will forget that you just yanked a gorgeous ship out from right under our feet (literally, cancelling about 6 months of already booked and paid for passengers' itiniaries), just so you can send yet ANOTHER ship to already totally over-run European region. Best of luck with that oversaturated market....

I agree with the above poster who said the one great sailing that we'd like to see again is a RT LA Panama Canal! That would be fantastic!!!

Otherwise, way to go Princess!!!!!!! Keep your focus on the West Coast and I will do all I can to get on your ships with as many family and friends as I can.

Katherine

If you decide to pull out of the Left Coast you are more than welcome to visit Galveston. We will have the Carnival Magic and RCCL Mariner of the Seas making us thier new homeport in 2011. We have plenty of room for a Princess ship or two. And if we run out of room in Galveston, there is the new terminal in Houston that awaits you.:D:p

The idea is that we have some nice ports here on this coast and many of us would prefer to drive to a port if we live near one.

Hurray for PRINCESS!!

I just want to point out that instead of pulling out of CA, Princess has added 3 brand new CA Coastal itiniaries out of LA starting next year, which no other line does! They have also expanded their Hawaii sailings by letting Sapphire in on the action. And they have the nicest ships in Alaska (instead of the older, smaller ones like HAL and Celebrity).

This shows their committment to the left coast and I am going to reward them by sailing with them as much as I can!

Don't think for a minute Royal Caribbean that we will forget that you just yanked a gorgeous ship out from right under our feet (literally, cancelling about 6 months of already booked and paid for passengers' itiniaries), just so you can send yet ANOTHER ship to already totally over-run European region. Best of luck with that oversaturated market....

I agree with the above poster who said the one great sailing that we'd like to see again is a RT LA Panama Canal! That would be fantastic!!!

Otherwise, way to go Princess!!!!!!! Keep your focus on the West Coast and I will do all I can to get on your ships with as many family and friends as I can.

Katherine

I was so glad when I read that press release that said the Sapphire was doing several Hawaiian sailings. So it does show a demand, doesn't it?

Let's look at Alaska. Just about every cruiseline had ships there in the summer. So one issue was saturation. Too many ships meant crowded ports. Another was that the residents of that state passed a tax on cruise ship passengers. Many people had already gone on an Alaskan cruise and want to go elsewhere for the next several cruises. Some don't want to pay the extra tax. But there's also those in the Northwest who like this itinerary as it's easy for them to get too. Probably though, demand was down, or perceived to be lower.

With the Southern Californian residents, many are willing to keep doing the MR, Baja, and Hawaiian cruises. Easy to get too. Not too many ships in port with them (maybe one or two others). Some people actually love the MR ports or going over to Catalina on the Baja one (maybe even Ensenada, but I'm definitely not in that group -- been there way too many times). When the swine cruises happened (going up the coast rather than to Mexico), some passengers were upset as they wanted to go to warmer weather, while others were thrilled because that itinerary usually doesn't happen (repo cruises, but not round-trips out of LA up to Canada; I think some of those cruises do go to Ensenada instead of Canada).

As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I like Homeland Cruising (since I am not allowed to fly), I foresse the cruise lines all but out of California, Florida and Seattle in five years or less. They are none too happy about the stricter legislation (the safety act and the upgrades to their requirements vis a vis the ADA), and feel that they can make more money in Europe and the Exotics (South America, South Pacific, Oz/NZ, et cetera) than they can here.

They're slowly but surely pulling out of Alaska, repositioning ships from FL to NYC for the Caribbean, but cutting down on the number of trips, pulling out of Mexico......it's in the cards. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but not too sure at all that I am.

Karen;

I hope that you are being pessimistic. I am more inclined to think that a number of issues have come into play here not the least of which has been the softness of the US and world economies, port fees and taxes. I also feel that the Alaskan and Mexican itineraries have become saturated and tired; plus a lot of people are angry or afraid of Mexico right now. Being a west coaster I continue to hope and believe that lines will start to open up itineraries that sail from California to Central and South America during the winter. Probably a real test will be how Disney makes out in Alaska in 2011.

Karen;

I hope that you are being pessimistic. I am more inclined to think that a number of issues have come into play here not the least of which has been the softness of the US and world economies, port fees and taxes. I also feel that the Alaskan and Mexican itineraries have become saturated and tired; plus a lot of people are angry or afraid of Mexico right now. Being a west coaster I continue to hope and believe that lines will start to open up itineraries that sail from California to Central and South America during the winter. Probably a real test will be how Disney makes out in Alaska in 2011.

I hope so, too, but I think the more regulations the Feds throw at them, the less they will be inclined to home port in the US. They see Europe as the goose with the golden egg right now. What it will take is for the European market to soften out on them.

Hurray for PRINCESS!!

Katherine

If they literally pulled the ship from under your feet, did anyone get hurt?

I have been doing my share of Mexico cruises. 3 last year and 2 this year. The other ports are too far for me to drive to and California is the closest. When you add airfare, I can't afford to cruise plus limits for luggage and liquids etc. What about some of us that really don't care about the ports. Maybe a few cruises to nowhere would be to my liking. Go from San Diego to Ensenada the out to sea and back to San Diego. I could go for that. Many people talk on the boards all the time about a Pacific coastal cruise and I think that would be popular. But I prefer the foreign port to be Ensenada. Would be awesome to go from San Diego to Ensenada then up the Califonia coast with a stop in San Francisco and/or Seattle.

San Diego is my favorite port and seems all the ships are bailing out. Why 2 Carnival ships in Long Beach and even moving the CCL Spirit into port of LA for some itinerary's. Why not move Paradise or Splendor to San Diego and alternate routes to give us options with various itinerary's?

Hurray for PRINCESS!!

Katherine

Is Princes doing 7 day or more Pacific Coastal cruises? If so, I'd book with them over Celebrity, but I don't think they are. Correct me if I'm wrong. We found the food is much better on Princess.

Also, the cruise lines will never pull out of Florida. It's their bread and butter. Every ship out of there is full, even the Oasis. They wouldn't order those mega ships if they were not sure they'd make a profit from them. You have to remember that Ft. Lauderdale and Miami serve the whole East Coast with the bulk of Caribbean Cruises and I've been on enough of them to know how popular they are.

Hurray for PRINCESS!!

Katherine

Katherine, you were right! Princess is having 2- 7 day Coastal Cruises in 2011 and 2012. I just hope they have more than one sailing of these cruises. May is a bit gloomy.

Katherine, you were right! Princess is having 2- 7 day Coastal Cruises in 2011 and 2012. I just hope they have more than one sailing of these cruises. May is a bit gloomy.

There are three I think. 2 are in the fall of 2011 which should have great weather! One is late Sept and one is early Oct. Then the 3rd one is in April 2012. This is why I am so impressed with Princess. Because they actually listened -- unlike the other lines...

Itinerary

Port Arrival Departure

1 Los Angeles, California 4:00 PM

2 Santa Barbara, California 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

3 At Sea

4 San Francisco, California 7:00 AM 10:00 PM (!!! 10pm -- great time to leave because there's time for dinner in the city)

5 At Sea

6 San Diego, California 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

7 Ensenada, Mexico 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

8 Los Angeles, California 7:00 AM

There are all sorts of creative itineraries that could be run from the west coast if the requirement of a distant foreign port didn't exist. Coastal cruises with a night or two overnight in San Francisco. I'd love those!

It's not clear to me what big-money interest is being protected by this act. But it's becoming rather tiresome.

Just a huge vote for San Diego, it is probably my all time favorite port to sail out. We just adore the close proximity of the city and all the things to see, do and eat(!), always spend two to three days on each end of a cruise. We count the Feb 2010 11 day on Radiance of the Seas one of our all time favorite cruises (out of 30). I realize the Mexico situation is dicey but were still very comfortable, especially with the evident precautions taken everywhere. We would love to do a longer Pacific Coastal, we need the longer itineraries to make a flight from the east coast sensible. Cheers P.S. thanks for the heads up about Princess.

Archived