1st timers-pls give advice about best cruise for us.

buffkids

I warn you – this is VERY long, but I’m sincerely looking for some advice for a first-time cruise choice.

My husband and I won a “free” cruise on NCL, and we’re looking for some advice about which cruise to take. We have never been on a cruise before – and honestly likely would never have considered a cruise vacation if it wasn’t for this opportunity. I have tried to do a lot of research – but it’s only made the decision overwhelming, so I thank you in advance for indulging me and hopefully giving me some advice. We are not allowed to take a cruise on the Norwegian Epic, but any other ship is OK. We can take up to a 7-night cruise, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Caribbean or Bermuda (we haven’t been to either place). Other choices we could make are the Bahamas or western Mexico (“Mx Riviera”). Our travel dates would need to be April, May or June 2011. I’m hoping all of you expert cruisers can read a little about our vacation habits and preferences and suggest the cruise option you think might be the best for us.

About us: We’re a 40-year old married couple with no kids. Our travel interests vary. For instance, when we go to Europe, we tend to prefer urban experiences. We always use public transportation, and we prefer small hotels with character, rather than chains or anything “fancy.” Shopping is not at all important to us – we have more fun visiting local grocery stores, than we would ever have at a clothing boutique. We like to find inexpensive eateries with “locals,” and for lunch typically grab food from a street vendor or take a loaf of bread and some deli stuff to a park.

But, when we go to Mexico, we usually go for about a week to an all inclusive resort in the Playa Del Carmen/Tulum area (south of Cancun). We do love the beautiful beach and waters, and we love to snorkel and do some sea kayaking. We always take our own snorkel equipment and usually cart it around with us to different off-resort areas so we can try snorkeling in different places. Our favorite thing to see while snorkeling is turtles. Even when at an AI, we usually spend time off the resort and find a couple of local taquerias where we’ll enjoy some food and drinks. We aren’t big fans of the shows the resort puts on or the “disco,” but we may hang out in the open-air bar all night long enjoying the atmosphere and some drinks.

OK – I know that’s a lot of information, but I thought maybe if I told you enough to paint a picture of our typical travel experiences, it might help you provide some advice about the best choice for a cruise for us. We don’t want to spend a whole lot of extra money, since we’re really only considering this because it’s "free." (I understand all of the fees, tips, etc we’ll have to cover, and we will probably upgrade one level from Inside stateroom to ocean view. But, I don’t think we’ll want to do lots of guided excursions – maybe one or at the most, two.)

:confused: So all that said, where would you go if you were us? We’ve maybe narrowed it down to Bermuda and the Caribbean. Bermuda we thought might be good because we really like the idea of not having to return to the ship as a specific time. Also it sounds like it would be fairly easy to do our own exploring on public transport, and it sound like snorkeling right off the beach with our own gear would be easy and very good. BUT, we also like the idea of seeing a variety of places! I initially thought maybe the Eastern Caribbean would be good, but got a little turned off by reading about how one of the main attractions in St Thomas/St Marteen is shopping. On the Western Caribbean itinerary, Roatan and Belize sound really good, but Costa Maya sounds manufactured and a little unauthentic…

So, what do you think? Where would you go if you were us? Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated as we start planning for our cruise adventure J

Have you considered Alaska? I would definitely go there for 7 days if I won a free cruise. I would take the 7 day on the Pearl out of Seattle. It stops in Glacier Bay - absolutely gorgeous!!! Words really can't describe the beauty of Alaska!

I am only putting my 2 cents in, but they won't be letting cruise ships into Glacier Bay forever. You can always take a carribean cruise - there is definitey no shortage of those types of cruises! :o

Like I said, just my thoughts, and Alaska wasn't included in your list anyway, but just a suggestion.

ENJOY your cruise wherever you decide to go! I don't think any choice will be the wrong one when you are on a cruise ship!

P.S. Our favorite port on the Western Carribean is Roatan!!

I warn you – this is VERY long, but I’m sincerely looking for some advice for a first-time cruise choice.

My husband and I won a “free” cruise on NCL, and we’re looking for some advice about which cruise to take. We have never been on a cruise before – and honestly likely would never have considered a cruise vacation if it wasn’t for this opportunity. I have tried to do a lot of research – but it’s only made the decision overwhelming, so I thank you in advance for indulging me and hopefully giving me some advice. We are not allowed to take a cruise on the Norwegian Epic, but any other ship is OK. We can take up to a 7-night cruise, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Caribbean or Bermuda (we haven’t been to either place). Other choices we could make are the Bahamas or western Mexico (“Mx Riviera”). Our travel dates would need to be April, May or June 2011. I’m hoping all of you expert cruisers can read a little about our vacation habits and preferences and suggest the cruise option you think might be the best for us.

About us: We’re a 40-year old married couple with no kids. Our travel interests vary. For instance, when we go to Europe, we tend to prefer urban experiences. We always use public transportation, and we prefer small hotels with character, rather than chains or anything “fancy.” Shopping is not at all important to us – we have more fun visiting local grocery stores, than we would ever have at a clothing boutique. We like to find inexpensive eateries with “locals,” and for lunch typically grab food from a street vendor or take a loaf of bread and some deli stuff to a park.

But, when we go to Mexico, we usually go for about a week to an all inclusive resort in the Playa Del Carmen/Tulum area (south of Cancun). We do love the beautiful beach and waters, and we love to snorkel and do some sea kayaking. We always take our own snorkel equipment and usually cart it around with us to different off-resort areas so we can try snorkeling in different places. Our favorite thing to see while snorkeling is turtles. Even when at an AI, we usually spend time off the resort and find a couple of local taquerias where we’ll enjoy some food and drinks. We aren’t big fans of the shows the resort puts on or the “disco,” but we may hang out in the open-air bar all night long enjoying the atmosphere and some drinks.

OK – I know that’s a lot of information, but I thought maybe if I told you enough to paint a picture of our typical travel experiences, it might help you provide some advice about the best choice for a cruise for us. We don’t want to spend a whole lot of extra money, since we’re really only considering this because it’s "free." (I understand all of the fees, tips, etc we’ll have to cover, and we will probably upgrade one level from Inside stateroom to ocean view. But, I don’t think we’ll want to do lots of guided excursions – maybe one or at the most, two.)

:confused: So all that said, where would you go if you were us? We’ve maybe narrowed it down to Bermuda and the Caribbean. Bermuda we thought might be good because we really like the idea of not having to return to the ship as a specific time. Also it sounds like it would be fairly easy to do our own exploring on public transport, and it sound like snorkeling right off the beach with our own gear would be easy and very good. BUT, we also like the idea of seeing a variety of places! I initially thought maybe the Eastern Caribbean would be good, but got a little turned off by reading about how one of the main attractions in St Thomas/St Marteen is shopping. On the Western Caribbean itinerary, Roatan and Belize sound really good, but Costa Maya sounds manufactured and a little unauthentic…

So, what do you think? Where would you go if you were us? Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated as we start planning for our cruise adventure J

Cruising in April and early May when schools are still in session you will find fewer children on the ship.

Bermuda is truly beautiful, but you will find that in April and May the waters are still a bit chilly and not idea for snorkelling/beach activies. The food in the restaurants there is also quite expensive. The bus/ferry pass is idea on Bermuda at about $28 for a 3 day pass. You can cruise to Bermuda out of NYC as well as Boston.

St Marten has a great beach located at the end of a runway where you can have planes coming in for a landing just a few feet above your head, with a quaint little open air bar on the beach where you can hear the communications from the airport tower. There are some great youtube videos out there on this beach.

St Thomas also has some very nice beaches, as do all of the Carribean islands for that matter.

I would have to agree with tequila, if you were traveling in june, july or august I would absolutely go to Bermuda. April and May it is chilly and the man-o-war jellyfish are all over. We are going back in 16 days on the spirit to Bermuda our 5th time. I really hope you fall in love with cruising we feel there is nothing like it and we also have been to all-inclusive resorts, I guess it's just being out on the ocean, just georgous. Last April we were on the Dawn to the Southern Carib. tortola, st. thomas, samana and great stirrup cay(ncls own private island) we had a great time, the weather was fantastic, sunny and hot. Just my opinion, having done both and for travel during those months I would do the caribbean. Just have a wonderful time, relax and enjoy yourself. Happy Cruising:D I would try to answer any questions you have, i am not an expert just know what has worked for my family.

Belize and Roatan would definitley suit the style you seem to enjoy. The diving/snorkeling on Roatan is world class and seems to still have some of the small island atmosphere and not yet to commercialized.

I have to agree that Alaska would be a great choice especially because it's more expensive therefore your getting more from your freebie and Glacier bay won't be open to cruise ships forever. We leave in Sept. just for that reason, to see it before it's gone and the itinerary seems to leave a lot of options for personalizing your trip, but would likely cost you more out of pocket than the Caribean.

Cheers,

Vic

I also think Alaska is a great choice for you because there would be a lot to see and not many kids on the boat. My next choice for you would be to Bermuda in early June. Kids are still in school and the weather starts to get nice. Third choice would be Caribbean. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Congrats on the free 7-day cruise!

A cruise is pretty much what you make of it. On my Western Caribbean cruise I spent the shore days seeing Mayan Ruins and learning about the people and culture of the places I was visiting. Many other people on the same cruise spent their shore days visiting restaurants, shopping, snorkeling, and/or swimming with dolphins. The Pearl took us all to the same ports at the same times but our cruise experiences were vastly different.

So perhaps the first place to start would be with the cruise reviews of the itineraries you are considering. After you've read a few reviews (or maybe a few hundred reviews :eek:) you may find out that there's other cool stuff to do in those ports besides shopping. (I'm not much of a shopper either.) Cruise Critic's sister site TripAdvisor could also be helpful here. After you've booked the cruise, be sure to come back and join the roll call for your sailing. You'll meet other people on the same cruise who might want to share a taxi or excursion with you.

My husband and I have also been all over Europe as independent travelers. What would WE do if we won a free 7-day cruise on any NCL ship except the Epic? We'd throw caution to the winds and fly to Venice for the 7-day Greek Isles cruise!

For a first cruise, I would recommend an eastern Carribean cruise, including St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Nassau. This cruise will get you used to cruising and give you a good taste of what to expect. The islands are safe and offer various experiences. As a general rules, there is more to see and do and better shopping in the eastern Varribean and better atletic activities in the western Carribean. Once you experience what to expect on a cruise, be sure to go to Alaska, bermuda, the Mediterranean and Australia. My wife and I have done it all!!

Starward 1987 Eastern Carribean

Seaward 1990 Western Carribean

Regent Star 1991 Panama Canal/ Southern Carribean

Tropicale 1993 Southern Carribean

Regent Spirit 1994 Western Meditteranean

Discovery II 1994 Bahammas

Song of Norway 1995 Pacific Coast of Mexico

Costa Victoria 1996 Eastern Carribean

Galaxy 1997 Alaska

Noordam 2001 Scandanavia and Russia

Carnival Spirit 2001 Eastern Carribean

Grand Princess 2002 Eastern Carribean

Carnival Glory 2003 Western Carribean

Norwegian Spirit 2004 Eastern Carribean

Carnival Legend 2005 Eastern Carribean

Radiance of the Seas 2006 Eastern Carribean

Norwegian Jewell 2007 Greece, Turkey and Egypt

Carnival Liberty 2007 Panama Canal

Norwegian Majesty 2008 Bermuda

Star Princess 2008 South America, Rio to Santiago

Diamond Princess 2009 New Zealand and Australia

Booked:

Norwegian Epic 2010 Western Carribean

Diamond Princess 2011 Japan, Korea, China, Viet Nam. Singapore and Thailand

Hmm...If only I were so lucky! But, I won't say I'm unlucky as I'm able to cruise at least once a year. You said that you would have never considered a cruise if not for this, and based on your vacation habits, I'd recommend Bermuda. I went there last summer, and loved it. A cruise to Bermuda is a bit different that cruises to other places, as once you dock in Bermuda, you dont sail again until going back home. This, in my opinion makes it a like a land based vacation where the ship is your transportation and hotel. One of the only down side of a cruise (and its hardly a downside) is that when you dock in a port, its usually early morning so if your anything like me, you'll want to be up at the crack of dawn so you can spend as much time on land exploring as you possibly can. With Bermuda, since you're there for several days, I didn't find myself rushing around like that because there was enough time. Also, you will have more of an opportunity to seek out the local hangouts since you won't be rushing back to the ship every afternoon. But, what it comes down is cruising! Once you go, you're likely to fall in love with it and it will be hard to stop. Have a great time! May I ask how you won?

Given the time of year you are looking at, I would recommend the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. You said that you vacation at an AI in Mexico, so the Western route wouldn't show you much that is new and different. The eastern islands offer something for everyone -- they have touristy areas but you can also easily go off on your own. If you go to the Ports of Call section of these message boards, you'll get a lot of suggestions on things to do in each stop. Springtime is really too early for Bermuda, you take a chance with the weather (and the seas back and forth!) and the water will still be cool. St Maarten is particularly nice, it's got both French and Dutch ambiance, great beaches and it's an easy place to drive a rental car if that appeals to you.

Being this is your first cruise,I would highly recommend Bermuda for sure,for a couple of reason in your case.You said your not into shopping and unfortunately that's what a lot of ports are about today.When a town sees anywhere from 4-10,000 people getting off of ships,they see $$$$$$$ and structure there towns to make sure they get a lot of it.Take Alaska for instance,we were there back in 1990 when there was only two big ships sailing in that area and you could get a real feel for the towns,we were back in 2005 and OMG,we were in shock!It was like getting of the ship in the Caribbean with all the diamond shops built all along the water front.What a turn off,don't get me wrong ,Alaska is still beautiful but not when 10,000 other people are trying to see the same thing you are in a town that was built for a couple of 100.To a certain extent thats kind of how the Caribbean is as well,its a lot about shopping and getting your $ and it can be overwhelming.The nice thing about Bermuda as a first cruise,its only a day and a half sail to get there,so your not on a moving ship as much being this is your first time,and you still get to enjoy everything about the ship while your there.The big plus is Bermuda still has its old world charm and the people are warm and friendly unlike a lot of the islands in the Carrabiean.

Before the OP even stated that she was looking at Bermuda or Caribbean I thought she would appreciate Bermuda. Its like a half and half AI and Cruise. You get meals when you want them on the ship and you have your cabin (and if you upgrade to a balcony you can sit there and have morning coffee or just watch the world go by and relax).

I think exploring by ferry and local taxi would be great, even hire a taxi for the day to take you around. The bus system is good there as well, so its almost like your euro vacations where you use local transportation.

I hope you enjoy wherever you choose to go, I think Alaska would be great too! You may like this way of travel/vacation and get hooked. Good luck! :)

Have you considered Alaska? I would definitely go there for 7 days if I won a free cruise. I would take the 7 day on the Pearl out of Seattle. It stops in Glacier Bay - absolutely gorgeous!!! Words really can't describe the beauty of Alaska!

I am only putting my 2 cents in, but they won't be letting cruise ships into Glacier Bay forever. You can always take a carribean cruise - there is definitey no shortage of those types of cruises! :o

Like I said, just my thoughts, and Alaska wasn't included in your list anyway, but just a suggestion.

ENJOY your cruise wherever you decide to go! I don't think any choice will be the wrong one when you are on a cruise ship!

P.S. Our favorite port on the Western Carribean is Roatan!!

Our first cruise was the Western Med, 7 days of heaven and we fell in love. See my sig. If not that I would choose the Caribbean. You've already done Mexico so leave Western alone. The Eastern is beautiful. Don't waste time in Bahamas, nor Bermuda.

I think the western caribbean would be a great fit for you. Roatan and Belize are great for snorkeling and you can definitely have a good time in Costa Maya without spending a lot of money.

Read the Ports of Call board for lots of good ideas.

Have fun planning and enjoy your cruise.:)

In my opinion, the snorkelling and beach sitting in Alaska leaves something to be desired.

Western Caribbean sounds more like your "thing" to me.

None of the cruise ship ports are "authentic" by definition if by that you mean what they used to be like before the cruise ships started coming.

By the way, your old high school isn't the same as it was before, either.

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I am so amazed by the number of cruises so many of you have taken. It must be very addicting :D I can tell that once we make the decisioin, this site is going to be an awesome resource for us. I apologize that I wasn't very clear in my original post... Alaska's not an option for our deal (we can ONLY go to those places I listed). So, it's off to somewhere warm for us! It sounds like we're on the right track - eliminating the Mx Riviera and Bahama options. I didn't even think about the temp in Bermuda, so that may be out now too. I will keep reading reviews and other posts and let you all know what we decide. Thank you again!

Bermuda. I have been twice and love it. Beautiful island. People are friendly and you feel safe too. Transportation is great (ferries and buses-get the 3 day pass). Went to St. Georges and Hamilton. St. Georges is quaint. Hamilton is urban. Beaches are beautiful. We went on the Dawn out of NYC. It is just a cab ride for us. You will love it there.:) If you go on the Dawn, it docks in the Royal Navy Yard (also known as Herritage Wharf). When we went, we spent the last day going around there. There is a free trolly that takes you from the ship and makes about 4 or 5 stops around the area. Goes to the Clock Tower Mall, the Glass works, the Rum cake factory, Millitary Museum and then back to the ship (stops right out side the terminal).

Bermuda would be my first choice of cruise destination, especially in June. Weather is beautiful then. Ship is docked there so you can wander off and on at your leisure, and the public transportation is great. I also like the cruises to New England. Acadia National Park in Maine is wonderful to explore. Have fun wherever you go. :)

Bermuda would be my first choice of destination, especially in June. The weather is beautiful then, and the public transportation is great. Since ship remains docked there for a few days, it is easy to just wander off and on the ship at your leisure. Cruising to New England is also lovely. Acadia Park in Maine is wonderful place to explore. Have fun where ever you go.

If the cruise is free and you can sail on any ship except the Epic, I would recommend the Pride of America and Hawaii. Cruises on the PofA are very expensive (about double the price of a Caribbean itinerary). Flying to Honolulu is fairly pricy, but if the cruise fare is $0, it might be a good place to cruise. The itinerary can't be beat and there are so many things to do ashore. We loved cruising Hawaii and that itinerary is the benchmark that all other cruises are measured against. Nature, history, and amazing sights - what a combo!

I know it wasn't on your list, but NCL is the only company doing inter-island Hawaiian cruises. May is a great time to visit - we were there this past May and the weather was perfect, the water was perfect, etc.

you dont mention if youve been to Miami, NYC or New Orleans, to me that makes a lot of difference because we alwys spend time in port before we cruise. I love Bermuda its stunning, a bit on the expensive side and cooler in Spring. I like eastern very much but if you like to snorkel, the western is the place to go, and New Orleans is the best..Im leaving for Cozumel and Playa del Carmen next week so I am a bit prejudice. Enjoy your trip but think about the port youre leaving from.Barb:D

Archived