HAL Air Docs / Increase in Taxes

SilvertoGold

I am wondering if all the experts here can shed some light on a couple of items that my TA just threw at me.

1. The last time we booked HAL Air was when we were still getting docs by mail, with the little ticket booklet, which had the air schedule spelled out. That proved that you had the flights booked and paid for.

Now, my TA says just look at "My Reservations" on the HAL website. The flight schedule is there OK, but what do I have to prove at the airport that we indeed have the flights booked and payed for? No airline booking numbers or anything else that we get when we book our own air.

We really need someone to explain how the documentation for HAL Air works!

2. TA says HAL has notified her that the taxes have increased and she wants to charge our credit card now. We have no invoice for this, so we are wondering if we would get a receipt for the payment, if we had the TA charge the credit card. Receipts are necessary to prove on board that we did pay these taxes.

We try to have a nice, problem-free cruise and always take proof of everything, just in case there is a mix-up between HAL and the ship.

Any thought on these two issues would be greatly appreciated!

Receipts will not be necessary on board to prove you paid the increase in the tax as you will not be permitted to board if you do not. Your credit card bill will be your written record.

Can't help you with the air -- we don't book HAL air -- maybe you can run off a copy of what you see online -- hopefully someone will be along to answer this questtion.

We have been getting notices from our TA about increases in government taxes, etc. -- has been happening to us for the last couple of years. She knows that she can charge it to our credit card and she does send us a copy of the new taxes paid.

Sail and KK --thank you!

One thing the TA said: we can pay now by credit card or it would be collected at embarkation or added to the shipboard account. Several times we have been notified on board of a tax increase but not before the cruise.

KK -- good to hear that your TA sends you a copy of the new taxes paid. Is this a HAL copy or just the charge to the credit card?

Thanks again.

1) Most cruise line are going "Doc Free" to save cost. You really don't need paper air or cruise tickets anymore. So what I would do is print out or write out the flight itinerary from the HAL website and then call the airlines or HAL and get your PRN "Passenger Record Number" confirmation code or have your TA get it for you. It should look like a mixture of number and letters: X5W6D. Once you have the PNR number you can go to the airlines website and pull up your reservation by the confirmation code and your last name, select your seat(s) if available and print out the airline reservation to take to the airport. If you are on multiple airlines you should have a PRN for each airline. If you so choose and have a printer at home you can even print out your board pass(s) prior to leaving for the airport for most domestic flights and some international flights. This way you have nothing to worry about when you get to the airport as you will have your boarding pass in hand. Just check your bags in at curb side or at the airline deck and head through security and on to the gate. Simple. Some people even print out their boarding pass at the ship's internet cafe for their return flight home too!

2) Just ask your TA to send or email you an paid invoice for the additional taxes. I can't see why she wouldn't do that on request. The charge should also be listed on your credit card statement when you receive it.

COMBOY!! Yes, this is the info I need!!!!! I can never remember the technical terms! Thank you hugely!

One of the problems I am encountering is my regular TA is off on maternity leave. She was great, emailed out every little piece of paper HAL emailed her. The TA subbing for her is fine on the surface, but is patronizing (do you need help with your online check-in? Hey, I have over 400 days on HAL -- I've done it a few times) and not very interested. Very frustrating!

Thanks again!

Sail and KK --thank you!

One thing the TA said: we can pay now by credit card or it would be collected at embarkation or added to the shipboard account. Several times we have been notified on board of a tax increase but not before the cruise.

KK -- good to hear that your TA sends you a copy of the new taxes paid. Is this a HAL copy or just the charge to the credit card?

Thanks again.

Our TA gives us a copy of the fa that she gets from HAL as well as a copy of the charge that she has made to my credit card.

I remember reading a few weeks ago about someone being asked to step out of line and pay their balance due before being allowed aboard ship. I'm not sure now if it was a HAL voyage or another, but the reason was the same: additional taxes that weren't collected beforehand.

Archived