NE Cruise with a 1 yr old?

adamsommer

I am thinking of my wife, I, and our then 1 yr old son taking the RCI cruise out of Baltimore next June (Enchantment of the Seas).

Are New England cruises appropriate for 1yr olds? I know he would do fine (he has traveled quite a bit) as he loves the outdoors. Not sure if he would be the only kiddo on the ship though ...I ask as I do not want to disturb others with a crying infant.

I try and be considerate of why others are on the vacation, and not all places a great for babies. Anyone been on a NE cruise and seen/not seen babies?

A year old child is hardly an "infant"! Really, tho, the child won't care where you are...be it NE, the Caribbean or Alaska....if you're happy, so will they be. The ship experience will be almost the same for any destination.

I am thinking of my wife, I, and our then 1 yr old son taking the RCI cruise out of Baltimore next June (Enchantment of the Seas).

Are New England cruises appropriate for 1yr olds? I know he would do fine (he has traveled quite a bit) as he loves the outdoors. Not sure if he would be the only kiddo on the ship though ...I ask as I do not want to disturb others with a crying infant.

I try and be considerate of why others are on the vacation, and not all places a great for babies. Anyone been on a NE cruise and seen/not seen babies?

I think you'll be fine. We've done this cruise a couple of times out of Bayonne. While there weren't a lot of kids (we went in Sept.), the staff just doted on them. We had late seating and one little guy had an almost dedicated waiter who would carry him around the dining room once meals had been served. Baby wasn't being fussy, just that the waiter really took to him. Also, with the cooler weather, the baby won't be tempted by the pool which, of course, he cannot use. Most of the excursions are outdoors (Peggy's Cove, etc.) or, if you want, you can just walk around the towns and brouse through the shops.

Of course, you are the only one who knows your child's sleeping habits - does he pretty much sleep through or wake up screaming (not good) - can he sit through a restaurant meal - things like that.

My parents did the New England cruise out of Bayonne on RCCL last year and they said they saw many families with infants but not many older children on the cruise. The majority of passengers were elderly retired folks though. They had a great time and seeing all the babies reminded them of their grandchildren. Id say go for it!!

It could certainly be a wonderful family time. However, there's no way to know just yet how well your son will travel. I urge you to plan based on his temperament as he grows and not decide until you are sure it will be a positive experience for him and for you. Sure, it will be work no matter what and that's okay. But if he is uncomfortable in new environments or really needs a schedule, then you might consider postponing a tad. I strongly urge you to do two things: Start getting him used to new places, sounds, lights, sights, etc. now and try a couple of "tester" trips (say overnight to family or a weekend getaway in a few months). That will give you an idea of how best to plan your family cruise and it will get him used to travel as a normal and fun part of life.

Congratulations on your new family member!

beachchick

Archived