Ask the Editor: Luxury Cruising

LauraS

Interesting article.

I was surprised that any cruise line would participate in the auction by discounting their cruises. However, though looking at the minimum bid required for the Regent Cruise I suspect Regent will realize the same profit as if it was sold by a TA because they will likely not pay the auction house as much as they would pay for the commission.

For the buyer with that minimum bid I don't see it as being a great deal. Get a good TA who is part of a large travel consortium and with the other amenities you can realize such as OBC and other amentiies I bet you will do better using the TA.

As for the cruise line, if I was the decision maker I would not go this route as to me it leaves the impression to those who don't look at the details that others on your cruise going this route are getting a much better deal than you as they purchased the cruise through an auction. I just think this isn't good for the reputation of their product. Just my opinion.

Keith

Silversea and Regent have been on LuxuryLink.com for many years along with other top luxury resorts in the world. IMO, it is a good way to get your product advertised. If it were not for LuxuryLink, we would not have discovered Nukubati Resort on a private island in Fiji (similiar to Turtle Island -- the honeymoon spot of many "rich and famous" couples). It would disturb me to see luxury cruise lines on Ebay. The reputation of that site, whether deserved or not, is not something I would want to be associated with.

P.S. Just noticed that Seabourn is there as well. It is a popular site for luxury travel.

Interesting that they have been there for years. Personally, as a consumer, I would rather use a TA and get a deal that is likely better than what is being offered plus the long term support of the TA.

But, interesting to know about that site. I always learn something new from CC and this atricle is an example of that.

Keith

Interesting that they have been there for years. Personally, as a consumer, I would rather use a TA and get a deal that is likely better than what is being offered plus the long term support of the TA.

But, interesting to know about that site. I always learn something new from CC and this atricle is an example of that.

Keith

Definitely agree with you about using a TA. We used the auction site prior to 2004 (when we began cruising) and would not have found the lovely destination in Fiji if it were not for LuxuryLink. We continue to browse the site occasionally -- just to learn of possible new destinations for our land travel.

I have gotten some very good deals on luxurylink, like a suite at the Villa Medici in Florence (a beautiful 5* hotel), with breakfast and one dinner for less than $1,000 dollars for three nights. Or the Luna Baglioni in Venice which I loved. I wouldn't known about Luna Baglione if it was not for this site.

Travelcat2 is right, Silversea and Regent have been on this site for a long time. Most of the time is not a good deal, but I have seen a couple that were.

Hope you have fun shopping and discovering new hotel/resorts and don't forget to check out the black out dates.

Archived