Help!! I'm lost!

PinkTennisNinja

Okay technically I'm not lost however I am in need of some help :D I'm going on my first cruise ever on August 14th (:)) and I have a few questions (that I'm sure have been asked before haha). Here's a few details before I fire away with the questions. I'm 22, Carnival Elation is the boat, Cozumel and Progresso is the place. This is my first vacation that hasn't been with my family, that I've paid for myself and that I'm going on by myself. I'm SUPER excited! :p So first question, when should I purchase the shore excursions (and what should those excursions be for any that have gone to those places)? My friend said I should wait till I get on the shore but I'm not sure. Second, what should I do about cameras? I don't have a camera at all at the moment (mine broke) so I would have to buy a new one no matter what. Should I buy waterproof disposables and a regular digital? Or just a waterproof camera? Third, when I get off on the shore and (if) I decide to swim somewhere, where should I put my personal belongings (money, camera, ID, etc.)? I'm gonna be by myself so I won't have anyone to hold it for me and if I have to take it in the water with me I'm gonna need some ziploc bags (hahahaha). And last how much cash would be a good amount to bring with me? I have a credit card that's completely empty for the boat but what about for the shore?

Thanks for any and all help!!!!

;)

Before buying excursions, you need to determine WHAT you want to do! A guidebook is handy. Some things don't need excursions...some, you're better off with a tour guide. It just depends what you want to do!

Bring whatever camera suits you...if you'll be leaving it on shore while swimming, a cheap disposable is best....they even have waterproof disposables.....no one wants your pictures, just expensive electronics!

I stick my ship key/Id into the pages of an old paperback book...no one wants that, either!

How much cash for ashore depends on you! Some folks spend nothing...others go on a buying spree....If you're not doing excursions, you'll need cash for cabs...tips, etc...

If you're on a ship's excursion, everything is paid for...you won't need to bring much cash at all.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Unless you are very comfortable going off on your own in a foriegn country, I would NOT get off the ship and try to find an excursion for yourself. If you meet up with others on the ship and can tour with them that is fine. Otherwise, purchase an excursion thru the ship.

Wow! You are excited!! Welcome to Cruise Critic.

First thing you should do is go find the roll-call for your cruise. Just scroll down to the forum jump, find the Carnival roll calls, then choose your ship from the list and find your sailing date. Go ahead and introduce yourself. You'll make friends to meet up with onboard.

Excursions... You can go over to the Carnival website and see what they have to offer and either purchase before you go or once you're onboard. I wouldn't wait to purchase on shore if I were going alone. Just a matter of being safe. (JMO)

There are a number of waterproof containers you can purchase at sporting goods stores that will hold your cash, credit card, room key etc. while you're swimming or on shore.

You said you don't own a camera. Can you borrow one for the trip? Then you can purchase a disposable one for beach shots etc.

Hope this helps! Have a wonderful time.......

Traveling alone on your first cruise, I would recommend buying shore excursions through the ship for safety and to insure the ship is there waiting for you when you return.

Camera: For the reasons you mentioned (traveling alone and no one to look after your things), I would go with a disposable (or two). You might want an underwater for snorkeling. Most beaches will not have lockers, etc. to safely stow your valuables.

Cash: I don't think I have ever gone with more than a couple of hundred dollars. It depends on your plans for items that might require cash (taxi, parking, etc.). On the ship, you need no cash unless you give an extra tip at the end to your cabin steward or waiter. You can't pay cash onboard at the time of a purchase. Standard tips are routinely added to your shipboard account and ultimately charged to your credit card. In ports, credit cards will be very welcomed for most purchases...perhaps cash for a taxi, a beverage, etc.. If you are parking a car at or near the pier for the length of the cruise, check to see if they take credit cards or if you will need cash to bail out your car at the end.

Recommendation: Go to the Roll Call board and find your sailing. Get connected with others near your age before you leave on the cruise. This will help in planning activities on board. It will be more fun if you go to activities, movies, evening entertainment with a group (unless your really just want to read a book by the pool--which is nice, too!).

Okay technically I'm not lost however I am in need of some help :D I'm going on my first cruise ever on August 14th (:)) and I have a few questions (that I'm sure have been asked before haha). Here's a few details before I fire away with the questions. I'm 22, Carnival Elation is the boat, Cozumel and Progresso

;)

Get on the roll call.

Go to the thread for your trip on the Carnival Elation.

Catch up there with those going on that specific cruise.

As for your excursions, find out now what they are. Decide what you want to do, and sign up through the cruise line. You really can't go wrong doing that.

Also, some of those excursions will sell out, so if you see something that you really want to do, book it ASAP.

And quit thinking you are going by yourself. That would be a real drag on a ship as big as that if you were the only passenger:D. You will find lots of interesting people that you will have a blast with.

Find a Plastic ID holder or fishing /hunting license holder that can go around you're neck. That's what I use now instead of my wallet. Totally waterproof and you can put few bills and sail and sign card, license etc. I used it when I snorkeled. Go to website like people say and book your shore excursons. If you decide to go alone, make sure you go with a large group if you decide to ride the taxi's off the ship. You'll have locals all the time trying to solicit van shuttles to some of the sites. Be in a large group of people and then take the shuttle/van. Just make sure you hangout and intermingle around a large group of people and you'll be fine. The more people from the ship the better the cost would be less per person and safer it is. I would not recommend going alone on a taxi(safety in numbers). Waterproof Disposable camera would be a good choice. Bring Ziplock bag if you have to go to the beach. You can leave it in the sand and since it's only a disposable camera most likely people will leave it alone and not bother it.

Get a list of the excursions and read through them to determine what you would like to do and book them BEFORE going on the cruise. So many people wait until they get on the ship to book there excursions and they end up standing in line waiting, along with everyone else that didn't pre-book. There will be enough standing in line during your cruise without adding that to the list. Plus you have a much better chance of NOT getting the excursion you want if you wait. Some of the most popular excursions sell out quickly.

Have a great time.

Congrats on your cruise. As a solo you are a bit more targeted by thieves. Take a ship sponsored snorkel excursion in Cozumel. . Bring disposable cameras, cheap and almost as good. My Daughter had her $$ camera stolen in Mexico.Bring a little cash on shore; leave jewelry, cards and passport in room safe. Buy a moneybelt and use it while traveling.It is important to be aware of your surroundings and to guard your possessions in foreign countries.

Archived