civitavecchia to termini

gatubela

Hello,

We will arrive by equinox Holly land cruise to Civitavecchia on sept/10 at 4 am.

Would like to buy train tickets in advance. If we want to take the train at 8.30am, how long in advance should we be at the station? how fast is the disembarkation? at what time should we leave the ship?

thanks in advance for your help

Miriam

:confused:

You don't need to buy tickets in advance. We arrived at the train station at around 8 a.m. and there were no lines at all. Just make sure that you're familiar with the schedule because you don't want to sit around the station waiting for the next train. You should also check out other stations in Rome than Termini. For example, you can get off at St. Peter's which is before the Termini station and will save you about 15 minutes and lots of walking especially if you plan to go to St. Peter's anyway. The Termini station is enormous.

P.S. I practiced and practiced how to say, "Four tickets to Rome" in Italian. I mangled it so badly, I got a very strange look from ticket agent. I hope that I didn't insult his mother.;)

Is there some reason you are rushing to make this time?

On September 10th there is an IC train at 9:17 that arrrives in Rome at 10:14. When you are traveling with luggage, the IC train is a far better option than the regional train, which is fine for a day trip but a nightmare with bags.

If you are disembarking the ship because this is the end of the cruise I would not purchase train tickets ahead of time. You just never know if there will be delays in getting the ship cleared, getting luggage off the ship, locating your luggage, etc.

I would purchase your tickets once you arrive to the train station.

Keith

I very strongly agree with the above comment about taking the IC train at 9:17 or even the EScity train at 11:05. They cost a little more than the regionals but can be much less crowded and you can get a seat reservation.

• 2 weeks later...

Use the link in the post prior to yours to see the schedule. You will probably not be able to purchase tickets in advance, as the Trenitalia web site is set up to accept only Italian credit cards. Some people do manage to get through, though, so you can try if it's important to you.

It really doesn't make sense to purchase tickets in advance for two reasons. First, and most important, you can't control what time you will be able to get to the station. The ship may or may not dock on time, you may or may not be able to get off quickly, etc. Second, these trains rarely sell out and, even if they do, there's another one coming not long after.

euro cruiser, thank you.

Acturely, i meant the train that you can reserve the seat when you buy the tickets. One of the reasons is that there will be three ships in the port that morning (about 1700 people- got that # from someone )

and the regional train probably will be crowded and only have standing room ( don't want to be too tired before the rest of journey.) my other questions

What is " electrico buses " ? and what is EScity train?

Thanks

The IC and the EScity trains are the only morning options to the regional trains. If you are traveling with luggage I really recommend using one of these.

I would not pre-reserve these unless I was in Italy pre-cruise when I might do so at a travel agent. If I did that I would probably take the EScity to diminish worries about the ship being late.

First, I wouldn't assume that just because there are three ships in port, that all are disembarking passengers, some may be there for a port day. If so, there will be a rush for the earliest trains, just wait a little longer and leave your ship as late as you can (probably 9 or 9:30) and all the day trippers will be gone, as well as those racing for a plane.

An electrico bus is a small one (usually only about 10 - 15 passengers) that travels on the smaller streets that large buses can't, such as the area around the Pantheon. An ES City train is slightly nicer than a regional and generally offers both first and second class compartments.

If you spend some time on the Trenitalia web site, they have descriptions of their different trains, if you are interested.

Thank you, i will go to the website do some more search, and sorry that I didn't make my self clear about the port day. we arrive at 7am & leave at 8pm. We like to be on the train early so that we can be back to the ship around 6 pm. We like to tour the Pantheon, Borghese Galleria, which train station will be easier for us to get off ? We are just going to admire outside of other ancient sites and St Pietro (we were there before )

useing HOHO or may be taxi. Do you think that would work ? Thank you very much.

Archived