need help with Naples information

XSYTD

We have booked a Mediterranean cruise (sort of last minute) and I am just realising how much planning is involved. I am looking for some suggestions that are budget friendly for doing a trip to the Amalfi coast area from Naples on my own. Most private tours are full but I would love to visit that area with my family of four. I have posted several messages on the roll call but to no avail. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? Also, if we are unable to see this area, do you suggest we go to Capri or some place else instead. We are docked from 7A to 7P.

Zina

When it comes to paying for a private tour in Euros, the words 'budget friendly' don't really come into play (from what we have seen) unless you are traveling with a large group, and even then it can be quite costly.

We have traveled all over the world, but the most expensive place we have ever visited when it came to tours was the Med. Good luck though, and you might also try the Europe/Italy ports of call board for suggestions. You can locate it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595 Good luck!

If you haven't done Pompeii I would not miss that. You can take the bus from the port. Or take a cab to the ferry dock for Capri. It is beautiful. If you choose Pompeii you can also take the bus on to Sorrento. The ride is great, on the edge of the cliffs. Sorrento is a quaint town, and the lemoncello (sp?) is fantastic.:) Find more info at the Ports section of cruise critic.

We have booked a Mediterranean cruise (sort of last minute) and I am just realising how much planning is involved. I am looking for some suggestions that are budget friendly for doing a trip to the Amalfi coast area from Naples on my own. Most private tours are full but I would love to visit that area with my family of four. I have posted several messages on the roll call but to no avail. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? Also, if we are unable to see this area, do you suggest we go to Capri or some place else instead. We are docked from 7A to 7P.

Zina

It's really too bad that your roll call isn't posting back.......You don't say when u r going to the Med, but from past experience: you can book your own transpo to the Amalfi area; if you do decide to go to Capri, and it's during the summer months, there is a good possibility that Capri will be overrun with tourists. However, you may want to take a ship's tour to the Amalfi coast or to Sorrento and wherever. Sorrento is very cute...Maybe someone will post on your roll call. I hope they do, and have a good time whatever you do. (you can also take a hydrofoil to Capri--ask the ship's crew--they always know the ins and outs of everything)

thanks for all the suggestions...maybe the rest of them are busy packing and not checking the CC!! My cruise is in 2 weeks!!!

Is there even a slim chance that I might be able to get a private driver at the port of Naples for a tour of the Amalfi coast?:confused:

As the OP noted, she has posted on her roll call but isn't getting responses.

If you are unable to book a car service, you do have the option of hiring a taxi at the port, there will be many of them there vying for your business. We practically had to fight our way through them on a very busy port day last summer.

Know before you do, however, that you can insist on a set fare for the day. The City of Naples has published fares for taxis but you MUST REQUEST the set fare BEFORE THE TRIP BEGINS.

The set fare for a full day, round trip from Naples to the Amalfi Coast and back, with as many stops as you want is Euro 220,00. Print out the fare card and take it with you, if the driver tries to tell you something different, pull it out and point to the line near the bottom that says "Tour Costiera". You can access the pdf file here, on the City web site: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1193

As you consider your options, remember that a taxi driver will likely have limited or no English, while a car service driver will be fairly fluent and able to provide information on history, culture, etc. Expect nothing more from a taxi driver than transportation.

We used Rome in Limo for our day in Naples a few weeks ago. While not necessarily 'budget friendly', it was terrific.

We decided to skip Capri, as we wanted to do Pompeii and was under the impression taht we could not do both in a day comfortably during the summer. After Pompeii (where we also arranged with the company for a private guide for 2 hours - great experience and we learned and saw so much!) we then went to Sorrento and Positano, driving along the coastline. On the way back, our driver, who is from Sorrento, took the back roads, which was really beautiful, and we avoided traffic. Personally, I wished we skipped Sorrento and spent more time in Positano, but we still had a wonderful time. Lunch was in a great restaurant in Sorrento, which our driver recommended.

The cost for the day, for 3 was 450Euro for the driver, and another 100 for the guide in Pompeii. I wouldn't hesitate to use the company again, and suggest that you contact them and see if they have an available driver for that day (www.romeinlimo.com). Good luck with what ever you decide and have a great time!

Last time we were at Naples we decided to do it on our own. We took the train(very cheap,I think 2EU) to Pompei, rented a self guide and walked around for about two hours. We got back on the train and went to Sorrento where we had a nice lunch. We were thinking of going to Capri from there and then take the hydrofoil from Capri back to Naples, but we decided to stay in Sorrento and enjoy the town. Took the hydrofoil at Sorrento and went back to Naples where we walked around for a while. Great day. carraizo99@yahoo.com

The train is a great and cheap possibility to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum or Sorrento. The hydrofoil from the port of Naples is very easy to get to Capri.

Amalfi is a little tricky to do DIY, since it involves a very long ride on the local bus along very narrow roads. For that last reason I would not rent a car to drive yourself. If it is your first trip to the area, and considering you only have one day, why not do Naples and maybe Capri or Pompeii first?

If you haven't done Pompeii I would not miss that. You can take the bus from the port. Or take a cab to the ferry dock for Capri. It is beautiful. If you choose Pompeii you can also take the bus on to Sorrento. The ride is great, on the edge of the cliffs. Sorrento is a quaint town, and the lemoncello (sp?) is fantastic.:) Find more info at the Ports section of cruise critic.

Hmmmm, taking a bus from Pomepei to Sorrento, haven't heard that optioned mentioned before....we were planning on taking the train, but out of curiosity, how long is that bus ride and does it go by the Amalfi Coast? Where did you pick up the bus?

Hmmmm, taking a bus from Pomepei to Sorrento, haven't heard that optioned mentioned before....we were planning on taking the train, but out of curiosity, how long is that bus ride and does it go by the Amalfi Coast? Where did you pick up the bus?

You can see the bus schedule between Naples, Pompei Scavi and Salerno here: http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campania/orarioCAMPANIA/QUADROVIII_BIS_2010.pdf

I don't see any mention of a bus between Pompei Scavi and Sorrento, but perhaps the poster will come back with information on that.

This bus does not go along the Amalfi coast, it follows an inland route to Vietri Sul Mare.

Sita does have buses that run along the coast, from Sorrento to Amalfi, and from Vietri Sul Mare to Amalfi. I think this could be pretty challenging, however, with a lot of changes and opportunities for misses. The Amalfi coast lines are here: http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campania/orarioCAMPANIA/QUADROXV.pdf

Y

Sita does have buses that run along the coast, from Sorrento to Amalfi, and from Vietri Sul Mare to Amalfi. I think this could be pretty challenging, however, with a lot of changes and opportunities for misses. The Amalfi coast lines are here: http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campania/orarioCAMPANIA/QUADROXV.pdf

This is tricky if you only have one day. The busses have some trouble running on time due to unexpected delays on the narrow roads.

OMG.... if this is your first trip to this area - don't stay in Naples ! Pompeii is amazing, the Amalfi coast is stunning, Capri is well, where the the rulers of Rome used to vacation :D

This is one port where I would splurge. If I had to, I would skimp in a few others to splurge here by doing those ports on your own.

We too did our first trip sort of "last minute" but we did manage to join a private tour on our roll call - got lucky. We used APTours and they were great.

Our last trip we did stay in Naples (I was ill with a head cold) and we went to the Natl. Archeological Museum, which we enjoyed alot. We saw all the items from Pompeii which made our previous visit there come alive.

Archived