Juneau Glacier question

DivingPrincessE

I am planning to do the Harv & Marv Whale watching trip in Juneau, and I see that I could add a trip to Mendelhall Glacier after the whale watching.

I was also planning to do the ERA Helicopter Tour: Juneau Glacier Adventure (35 min in air, 20 min on glacier).

I believe I'll have time for both as I'm in Juneau from 9 am to 9 pm. What are your all's thoughts? Is there time enough for all three? If not, is there time enough for the Whale watching and Helicopter trip?

If there is time for all three, is going to Mendelhall AND doing the Helicopter Glacier landing too much glacier stuff in one day? If anyone has done both the Glacier Helicopter landing AND visited Mendelhall Glacier...is the experience similar or totally different? Which experience was better?

Thanks!!

With 12 hours in port you should have plenty of time provided there is buffer between the tours. I've done glacer in Juneau years ago. From my recent experience in Skagway the views from Helicopter and landing are very different then the hike and view from Mendenhall. From the air you get an appreciation of the size and scale of the glaciers, when you land you truely appreicate the scale.

Visiting Mendenhall is about getting a closer look from flat level and a hike to nugget falls get you within spray distance. Doing it as part of a whale watch likely only adds about an hour and few mintues extra depending on how much time one wants to spent at Mendenhall hiking.

Here are a few pictures from the air from our Skagway and Mendenhall glacier, very different prospective. But landing and walking on glacier ice may take some of the awe away when you visit Mendenhall.

Would make for an expensive but neat port day.

I am planning to do the Harv & Marv Whale watching trip in Juneau, and I see that I could add a trip to Mendelhall Glacier after the whale watching.

I was also planning to do the ERA Helicopter Tour: Juneau Glacier Adventure (35 min in air, 20 min on glacier).

I believe I'll have time for both as I'm in Juneau from 9 am to 9 pm. What are your all's thoughts? Is there time enough for all three? If not, is there time enough for the Whale watching and Helicopter trip?

If there is time for all three, is going to Mendelhall AND doing the Helicopter Glacier landing too much glacier stuff in one day? If anyone has done both the Glacier Helicopter landing AND visited Mendelhall Glacier...is the experience similar or totally different? Which experience was better?

Thanks!!

709192171_590Glacierviewfromtheair.jpg.16b141b57375057f88cf70f8cfe0b43a.jpg

1928704345_600Glacierviewfromtheair.jpg.18c88fddd5cee97edb4b1971e50a7eda.jpg

938986586_500MendenhallGlacier.jpg.21147331a993f1929784043c437bf568.jpg

1812194344_515MendenhallGlacier.jpg.e1dcd642fd6663d4b22e5bfba78a16de.jpg

1472325245_534MendenhallFalls.jpg.9fddef33752c39e658b7207619932529.jpg

Certainly, you have time for all three. Being that reports come back all the time that Harv and Marv are booked- do this first and arrange the Mendenhall pick up/drop off at that time. Then in the other "half" of your time, book the flightseeing.

Have a couple hours in between, IF you want to return to your ship, plus 30 min. transit time.

Both these will pick up at the ship.

Archived