Advise on our first Greek Isle Cruise

dpw1959

We have been on two cruises so far. One to Alaska and one to the Caribbean. We are thinking of doing the Greek Isles next. We would like to see both Mykonos and Santorini and want to be on those islands long enough to get lots of photographs (especially sunset shots would be great). I have seen an RCL 10 day cruise that includes Athens, Split, Corfu and a couple more on the Splendour of the Seas. I like the fact that it leaves and comes back to Venice too. That way we can stay a couple extra days in Venice. If anyone has input on this itinerary, that specific RCL cruise or a possible alternative I would appreciate it ! The cruise in question doesn't leave until Sept of 2011, so plenty of time for research.

I went on a 7 day Eastern Med cruise last November on Splendor of the Seas and had a great time. It went to Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Athens, Kusdasi, Crete and then back to Venice. I think that the Eastern Med is perfect for a cruise since most of things to do are fairly close to the port so that you waste less time on transportation.

The Splendor of the Seas is an older, smaller ship. There aren't any specialty restaurants and not as much to do as some of the larger ships. But, on my cruise, I was in port walking around all day and was kind of tired by the time I got back to the ship and had dinner so that wasn't a problem for me. Even though the decor is somewhat dated, the ship is well maintained. I would go on the Splendor again.

I hope this gives you a little bit more information.

With Princess you have choice of big boats and lots of tendering, or the smaller OCEAN PRINCESS which can get into more ports proper . In the 2011 Season OP has a 14 day Itinerary Venice - Greek Islands - Athens - Greek Islands - Rome departing Venice on 01/10/11 . Sensational vessel and great itinerary. (Can also be taken as 7 nights Venice - Athens, or 7 nights Athens - Rome .) Different Greek Islands on each leg .

Costa Cruise also have great range Eastern Med cruises.

Another nice smaller intimate vessel is the magical M.V. GEMINI now sailing for QUAIL CRUISES . They have weekly departures on a 7 night itinerary to Greek Islands .

With Princess you have choice of big boats and lots of tendering, or the smaller OCEAN PRINCESS which can get into more ports proper . In the 2011 Season OP has a 14 day Itinerary Venice - Greek Islands - Athens - Greek Islands - Rome departing Venice on 01/10/11 . Sensational vessel and great itinerary. (Can also be taken as 7 nights Venice - Athens, or 7 nights Athens - Rome .) Different Greek Islands on each leg .

Costa Cruise also have great range Eastern Med cruises.

Another nice smaller intimate vessel is the magical M.V. GEMINI now sailing for QUAIL CRUISES . They have weekly departures on a 7 night itinerary to Greek Islands .

Just as an FYI, there was only one tender port on the Ruby Princess Greek Isles itinerary -- Santorini; which I believe is a tender port for all ships......

Princess also has a great Greek isles itinerary that's worth considering. I was booked this summer to do it on Ruby Princess (newest ship) but had to cancel a few months out.

We took the Star Princess in Oct/Nov 2007 - Rome to Venice with great stops in between. You can read about it in my cruise notes.

I went thru this dilemna last year when I started planning for my FIRST cruise in May. It REALLY does take a lot of thought! My primary goal was to sail out of Venice, which narrowed the field somewhat. After that I looked at the ports and ships, length of time in the port, and time of day. It came down to Norwegian Gem and Splendour of the Seas. The Gem offered Santorini AND Mykonos and was in Santorini from 4pm -11pm for sunset. But I chose Splendor because it went to Athens, it was smaller ship, and the reviews were more positive. We had a fabulous time! Good food, good service, comfortable beds. It's a busy itinerary so you spend little time on board. You have b'fast then spend the day in a port, rush back on board, prepare for dinner, watch a show, have a few drinks at a bar, then crash.

The sailaway was fabulous, so I got up at 6am to watch as we sailed back in! We then stayed 3 days in Venice. Been there before so we saw some new sights and also enjoyed just sitting by the grand canal and watching all the activity. I liked the end of May for travel; it was hot but not too hot, and not as busy as the summer months.

Good luck with your planning. It's tough, but it will be so worth the time and effort you put into it. BTW, we did DIY excursions so there's some more planning!

Archived