Diamond Princess - Fitness Facilities Question

nerissw

We'll be on the Diamond Princess in 1 week (!), and I have a question about the gym facilities. Is the workout room always open? If not, what are the daily hours? How large is the jogging track, i.e. how many times around will I have to trot around it to get a decent workout?

Got to work off the 24 hour food somehow..

Thanks!

I just got off the Diamond Princess yesterday!

The fitness center was open from 7 AM until 10 PM. As I recall, 10 times around the jogging track equals a mile. I preferred walking around the promenade deck (2.5 times equals a mile) and saw quite a few joggers on that deck as well.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Nerissw,

Greetings from Australia. DH and I did the Diamond from Bangkok to Sydney, last October, and ran almost every day. There are always lots of walkers, but it is easy to run too.

I found the gym to be satisfactory, actually only fair for a ship of its size. A lot of the time the personal trainer was doing his thing which meant the aerobics room was closed and if you wanted to train abs, or use the fit ball, there wasn't much room in the weights area. There were treadmills, no rower (which I missed desperately) and a few bikes, plus other pieces of cardio. Anyway, machines were always available and there is always a way of burning off those calories.

Another tip, always use the stairs, never the elevators!! It is amazing how many stairs you walk up each day. Also, walking to and from the restaurants takes some doing, so it is all good news. Every minute of incidental exercise helps!

The pool is also good for doing laps - it may be on the small side, but I use any form of exercise I can!! Don't forget your goggles!

Enjoy your cruise. You will be hooked.

Please email me and let me know how you enjoyed yourself. (nicster@internode.on.net)

Nicki

• 2 years later...
Hi Nerissw,

Greetings from Australia. DH and I did the Diamond from Bangkok to Sydney, last October, and ran almost every day. There are always lots of walkers, but it is easy to run too.

I found the gym to be satisfactory, actually only fair for a ship of its size. A lot of the time the personal trainer was doing his thing which meant the aerobics room was closed and if you wanted to train abs, or use the fit ball, there wasn't much room in the weights area. There were treadmills, no rower (which I missed desperately) and a few bikes, plus other pieces of cardio. Anyway, machines were always available and there is always a way of burning off those calories.

Another tip, always use the stairs, never the elevators!! It is amazing how many stairs you walk up each day. Also, walking to and from the restaurants takes some doing, so it is all good news. Every minute of incidental exercise helps!

The pool is also good for doing laps - it may be on the small side, but I use any form of exercise I can!! Don't forget your goggles!

Enjoy your cruise. You will be hooked.

Please email me and let me know how you enjoyed yourself. (nicster@internode.on.net)

Nicki

Hi Nicki... Thanks for your description of the "Fitness facilities" aboard Diamond. We have booked our first Princess cruise which happens to be aboard the Diamond. I usually make it to the gym daily after day of departure & was wondering what I'd find compared to Celebrity & Holland America. Sounds pretty similar & will be happy if I can use the weight machines plus a bike. I do hope they don't blast loud music to distract me from reading my Kindle while biking. :D

Hi Nicki... Thanks for your description of the "Fitness facilities" aboard Diamond. We have booked our first Princess cruise which happens to be aboard the Diamond. I usually make it to the gym daily after day of departure & was wondering what I'd find compared to Celebrity & Holland America. Sounds pretty similar & will be happy if I can use the weight machines plus a bike. I do hope they don't blast loud music to distract me from reading my Kindle while biking. :D

No loud music blasting, but you can plug in earphones and watch the tv that is on the treadmils, bikes, and ellipticals. My experience on most of the Princess ships is that there is usually a wait in the morning to use the bikes, treadmills and ellipticals on sea days. I generally went to the gym in the afternoon to avoid the wait or just walked around the Promenade deck in the morning (no wait there).

No loud music blasting, but you can plug in earphones and watch the tv that is on the treadmils, bikes, and ellipticals. My experience on most of the Princess ships is that there is usually a wait in the morning to use the bikes, treadmills and ellipticals on sea days. I generally went to the gym in the afternoon to avoid the wait or just walked around the Promenade deck in the morning (no wait there).

Thanks for your additional info.... Glad to hear no loud music blaring in the gym. I tend to go to the gym mid-afternoon which has normally been the least crowded on =X= & HAL as well. Also glad to hear the Promenade deck goes around the ship.:)

hi,there is a sauna and steam room in each locker room also,i dont think the new royal has this facility according to deck plans,cheers brian.ps we were on diamond in october,great food,service and crew.

Archived