Alaska Fever, need help

CALMOM

I love Alaska also and go pretty much every year, In fact I sail in a little over a week for trip #15. While I love Alaska and will continue to sail North in Jan 2009 I sailed my dream to Antarctica. Imagine Alaska x 10 and it still isn't the same. Antarctica is absolutely amazing, Alaska is the appetizer and Antarctica is the main course and dessert! Nothing else compares to sailing down there.

Ah, that is my ULTIMATE Dream vacation, the Antarctica. I have told my DH that I would love to cruise there for our 30th Anniversary, just 7 years away.

.......... I love Europe and the Caribbean always calls my name, but I have always felt that Alaska is going to be like the Pacific Northwest or Scandinavia, where we have been both on land and on ship. Please tell me what entices you to sail in Alaska. I have been reading about wildlife, whales etc. I am not only confused about what to do, I am bewildered about the draw. Every port seems to offer the same things..bear, whales and glaciers! Help, please give me some insight about what to plan! I do thank you!Karen
Well Karen, in a way I think the special appeal of Alaska for some of us is emotionally somewhat like falling in love, something we experience that is not exactly easy to explain.

Certainly there are other places in the world where we can see beautiful scenery, snow-capped mountains, fjords, glaciers, whales, bears, etc. I guess part of the draw of Alaska (at least for Americans and Canadians) is that we can get to see them all by traveling within a relatively small distance at a relatively affordable cost. But the attraction is so much more than proximity and cost.

We could sit down and make an analytical list of each location's features in much the same way that we could make a list of a person's most attractive features. Yet even though others may possess the same types of features we put on our list (e.g., smart, funny, attractive looking, etc.), each person is unique and they don't all pull at our heartstrings in the same way. I believe that it is similar to the way that people are attracted to different places.

Since this is an Alaska board, it is not surprising that so many of us who frequent this board are those who are attracted to Alaska.

I have been back from my Alaska Cruise now 20 days and I find myself in deep depression from the "Alaska Fever":(. I thought I was getting better yesterday until I picked up all my photos, that's when the depression really set in:eek:. I actually think it is worse this time, then when I returned from my Alaska Cruise in 2007.

I just LOVE cruising to Alaska, it is such an amazing experience. Unfortunately, it is one of the more expensive cruises, so I will have to save up and hopefully book for 2012.

Is there anyone else out there like me or I'm I the only one with Alaska Fever?

To those of you that will be going, enjoy every second, as it goes way too fast. You are so lucky, it will amaze you, no matter what cruise line you go on.

ahhh. you are one of us now :D. i will be going to alaska for the 5th time next may and plan too go back again after that. it is my favorite itinerary and if i am going to spend the money for a cruise it might as well be where i love too go. just set back and have fun planning your next cruise there. i cant stop myself from cruising to gorgeous alaska ;). have a great time. :)

Ah, that is my ULTIMATE Dream vacation, the Antarctica. I have told my DH that I would love to cruise there for our 30th Anniversary, just 7 years away.

You might want to move up your schedule. With new environmental laws going into effect in 2012 next year 2011 may see the last of the big ship "sail by" cruises. While I'd love to go on one of the smaller expedition ships they were too expensive for me.

This was a fantastic trip but hasn't changed my enthusiam for Alaska.

Just got back from Alaska 2 days ago and I am already missing it. Back to school on Wed. and students come next Monday , all of this plus it's 102 in St. Louis. Yes, I miss Alaska. My husband and I talked about going back to work a seasonal job because we loved it soooooooooo much. I still have a 90 year old mother to take care of but maybe someday! We were lucky enough to plan a 12 day cruisetour. 5 days on land before the cruise and a 7 day cruise. ALASKA IS AWESOME!

I have been back from my Alaska Cruise now 20 days and I find myself in deep depression from the "Alaska Fever":(. I thought I was getting better yesterday until I picked up all my photos, that's when the depression really set in:eek:. I actually think it is worse this time, then when I returned from my Alaska Cruise in 2007.

I just LOVE cruising to Alaska, it is such an amazing experience. Unfortunately, it is one of the more expensive cruises, so I will have to save up and hopefully book for 2012.

Is there anyone else out there like me or I'm I the only one with Alaska Fever?

To those of you that will be going, enjoy every second, as it goes way too fast. You are so lucky, it will amaze you, no matter what cruise line you go on.

Calmom - my wife and I were on board the Diamond with you and we feel your pain. I wanted to go to Alaska since I was 10 (I am now 30) and it was everything I imagined it to be and more.

Fortunately, I invested in a quality camera and have 750 pictures and video on top of my memories to help numb my "fever" ;).

You might want to move up your schedule. With new environmental laws going into effect in 2012 next year 2011 may see the last of the big ship "sail by" cruises. While I'd love to go on one of the smaller expedition ships they were too expensive for me.

This was a fantastic trip but hasn't changed my enthusiam for Alaska.

Yes, I heard that, and I am hoping that doesn't happen. Although, I have heard the smaller ships are a great way to go but they are definitely more expensive. If it does happen, where the larger ships are no longer allowed, I'm afraid the smaller ships fares, will go even higher.

I certainly do understand your fever. I cruised to Alaska in 2008 and have wanted to go back since. I currently have been looking at the 2011 14 day HAL cruise, which would get me to many of the places I still want to see. Hubby does not have quite as high of a fever as I do, but would go back with me. Problem right now is the budget. It things ease up a bit, I will surely try to go next year. If not, that fever will continue to rage on.

Calmom - my wife and I were on board the Diamond with you and we feel your pain. I wanted to go to Alaska since I was 10 (I am now 30) and it was everything I imagined it to be and more.

Fortunately, I invested in a quality camera and have 750 pictures and video on top of my memories to help numb my "fever" ;).

It was a great cruise, wasn't it? I couldn't believe how absolutely perfect the weather was in Glacier Bay. My oldest sun was sunbathing on his balcony. You are lucky, I have heard Ontario is beautiful, as well. I hope someday to visit the East Coast side of Canada, I love the west coast side.

Well settle in, CalMom, and get used to is. I've been back from HAL's 14 day adventure on the Amsterdam since June 14th, and the fever rages on.:o All I can think about! I view a slideshow of my photos each day, one particularly stunning photo of the sunset behind Mt. St. Augustine resides as my screen saver. I wear the gorgeous jade ring I got every day. Just ate the last of our King Crab Legs we had shipped home on Saturday night, while playing the theme song to the "Deadliest Catch" as our dinner music. Practically live on the "Alaska" board of CC. Talk about the trip so much to my coworkers that I think they'd happily have me walk the plank at any given moment. Still communicate via email with many of the wonderful folks we first met on our Roll Call and then in person (friends for life, I'm positive!). Yup, there is NO cure for this fever, and truth be told, not so sure I want there to be. The only known remedy, for me atleast, is planning (in my head;)) our 2012 return trip, but ah, the days are sooooooo long. Happy Alaska dreaming my friend. Living on the memories is not such a bad thing though....they're what keep me goin.:D

Well settle in, CalMom, and get used to is. I've been back from HAL's 14 day adventure on the Amsterdam since June 14th, and the fever rages on.:o All I can think about! I view a slideshow of my photos each day, one particularly stunning photo of the sunset behind Mt. St. Augustine resides as my screen saver. I wear the gorgeous jade ring I got every day. Just ate the last of our King Crab Legs we had shipped home on Saturday night, while playing the theme song to the "Deadliest Catch" as our dinner music. Practically live on the "Alaska" board of CC. Talk about the trip so much to my coworkers that I think they'd happily have me walk the plank at any given moment. Still communicate via email with many of the wonderful folks we first met on our Roll Call and then in person (friends for life, I'm positive!). Yup, there is NO cure for this fever, and truth be told, not so sure I want there to be. The only known remedy, for me atleast, is planning (in my head;)) our 2012 return trip, but ah, the days are sooooooo long. Happy Alaska dreaming my friend. Living on the memories is not such a bad thing though....they're what keep me goin.:D

LOL, Love it, you made me laugh, so thank you for that. I agree, it looks like I might have to sell my DH, the dog, the fish and if necessary all 3 of my grown kids, to be able to cruise to Alaska in 2012.

A girl just gotta do, what she's gotta do:D

<snip>The draw for us is the astounding beauty that's there. Sitting on the balcony--where we spend A LOT of time--there's always something beautiful to see. On our last cruise I took more than 2000 photos, which is more than double what I usually take on a cruise.<snip>

Wow - I thought I took a lot of photos on our 10 day cruise 675.

The beauty is everywhere, and in most everything. Everyone you look it's a postcard scene.

We have been once, and we can't wait to go again.

Archived