Alaska Fever, need help

CALMOM

I have been back from my Alaska Cruise now 20 days and I find myself in deep depression from the "Alaska Fever":(. I thought I was getting better yesterday until I picked up all my photos, that's when the depression really set in:eek:. I actually think it is worse this time, then when I returned from my Alaska Cruise in 2007.

I just LOVE cruising to Alaska, it is such an amazing experience. Unfortunately, it is one of the more expensive cruises, so I will have to save up and hopefully book for 2012.

Is there anyone else out there like me or I'm I the only one with Alaska Fever?

To those of you that will be going, enjoy every second, as it goes way too fast. You are so lucky, it will amaze you, no matter what cruise line you go on.

I have had Alaska fever since last summer! I was highly jealous when I started reading all of the threads at the beginning of summer of the people cruising this year. Hopefully a 2011 cruise to Alaska can be in my future!!:):):)

The only cure is to start planning another Alaska cruise :) (My 6th is coming up soon).... Every time I go, when I get back I say "that's enough, I've been to Alaska enough", and that's good for 7 or 8 months, then the ache starts again. It helps that Vancouver is the closest cruise port to us.

I completely understand! We started talking about an Alaska cruise shrtly before we got married in 1993. Finally did our first Alaska cruise in 2001 and then again in 2007. About a week or so ago, DH said, I think you should plan another cruise for us (BTW, we're on the Splendor to the Mexican Riviera in two weeks). I didn't hesitate--June 2011 to Alaska. I'll book this week but am already starting the research and planning. I can't wait! :D I'm sure this will be only the third of many Alaska cruises.

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I think I will just have to book an Alaskan Cruise for 2012 (when it's available) and start saving my pennies, at least I will know it's in my future. I would love to go in 2011 but I am doing 2 other cruises, so I have to wait. I have cruised many times but for some reason, Alaska just excites me, and I could go back many more times. I think it's because there is so much to do, that it would take at least another 20 cruises to do at least 1/2 of what I want to do.

I understand completely. We took our first "once in a lifetime" Alaskan cruise in 1994 on the Maasdam. Waited a whole nine years before sailing on the Summit in 2003, then returned on the Coral in 2007, just returned June 26 from the Millennium. Last one? Maybe.

Well, I have been on this board trying to get the fever you speak of! I have been on over 50 cruises, however...none to Alaska. We just booked our first..July 2011. We are going with Oceania for 12 days. I love Europe and the Caribbean always calls my name, but I have always felt that Alaska is going to be like the Pacific Northwest or Scandinavia, where we have been both on land and on ship. Please tell me what entices you to sail in Alaska. I have been reading about wildlife, whales etc. I am not only confused about what to do, I am bewildered about the draw. Every port seems to offer the same things..bear, whales and glaciers! Help, please give me some insight about what to plan! I do thank you!

Karen

Well, I have been on this board trying to get the fever you speak of! I have been on over 50 cruises, however...none to Alaska. We just booked our first..July 2011. We are going with Oceania for 12 days. I love Europe and the Caribbean always calls my name, but I have always felt that Alaska is going to be like the Pacific Northwest or Scandinavia, where we have been both on land and on ship. Please tell me what entices you to sail in Alaska. I have been reading about wildlife, whales etc. I am not only confused about what to do, I am bewildered about the draw. Every port seems to offer the same things..bear, whales and glaciers! Help, please give me some insight about what to plan! I do thank you!

Karen

We leave this weekend for our 4th trip we've gone every year since that first one but it gets longer each time (14 days this trip). It's not just one thing about Alaska its everything-scenery, animals, friendly people, super clean its just a amazing place, usually you go somewhere and you have a few WOW moments in Alaska everything is a Wow moment. Now I want a summer cabin somewhere in Kenai:D We have always been the fun n the sun type of cruisers but I wanted to see Alaska (my husband was not crazy about it at all) now we can't talk about it or go there enough. Next year for my 50th its a trip to the 50th state for 4 weeks with our 5th wheel and I can't wait! Karon:)

Karen

It is a BEAUTY like no other. It is the cleanest air, I have ever breathed. It is the most green, I have ever seen. It is the most Wildlife, I have ever seen.

The only passenger that might not get the fever like 99% of passengers, that have cruised to Alaska, is someone who hates rain, mist or cooler weather.

The reason why I desire to continue cruising to Alaska, besides a Magnificent Beauty, is it is impossible to do everything you want in each port. Majority of the excursions are 6 to 8 hours, so you basically can only do one excursion per port. Although, I have managed to do 2 excursions in 2 of the ports, just not much time to visit the shops in town.

As far as choosing an excursion, it depends what your interest are and how much you want to spend. Alaska excursions are not cheap, especially if you want to take a float plane or helicopter.

You are welcome to read the review I did on our July Alaska cruise, to give some idea. I promise you, you will not be disappointed with Alaska.

Next year for my 50th its a trip to the 50th state for 4 weeks with our 5th wheel and I can't wait! Karon:)

WOW, I am sooooo jealous. Unfortunately, I've only been able to go for 7 days but hoping to do the Land portion next time, with the cruise. We took our 3 grown kids in July, so we couldn't swing the land portion. However, next time it will be just DH and I, so we should be able to do it.

To those of you that will be going, enjoy every second, as it goes way too fast. You are so lucky, it will amaze you, no matter what cruise line you go on.

Welcome to my world. :) :) :)

My first trip, was to be my "only", in 1994. Just did trip 27 this year, 20 days.

I don't book way ahead, and do find myself, doing a lot of the same things, but Alaska always has something new. It is a totally different place. :)

Karen

Being from the Pacific Northwest, I can tell you Alaska isn't like what we see everyday. We're about to book our third Alaska cruise and I certainly wouldn't be doing that if they were alike--I'd be going to the Caribbean. ;)

The draw for us is the astounding beauty that's there. Sitting on the balcony--where we spend A LOT of time--there's always something beautiful to see. On our last cruise I took more than 2000 photos, which is more than double what I usually take on a cruise.

As far as excursions, for us the two best excursions we've done were on our 2007 cruise. In Sitka we went on a four-hour wildlife tour with Captain Davy on the Esther G and in Ketchikan we went to Anan Creek (with Island Wings) for bear viewing. Both are excursions we still talk about three years later.

I hope when you cruise Alaska you'll understand and fall in love with it, too. :)

My most depressing moment is leaving the ship at the end of the cruise. Well, to make it more affordable, we just tried to avoid those expensive ship excursion. But they are part of experience that makes Alaska cruise great. What a paradox!

I enjoy every vacation, but if all year was a vacation it would lose a lot of the magic no matter where it is. The harder and more pressure I have at work the better the vacation and leisure is, lets say I really really enjoy each successive vacation :D

Sad to see them end, look forward to the next one. Sadly Christmas seems so long away, but I know it'll be here before I know it too!

Karen

The best way for me to describe "the draw" is that Alaska touches my soul, I feel in touch with God/the universe (whatever you believe as a "higher power"), that the clutter in my mind is cleared and I find myself, my essence, my core. And that "my core" is in touch and influenced by being in Alaska, the spirits, the beauty, the vastness. That my heart receives information that I need.

And then there's the wildlife, the mountains, the spectacular beauty. Ho-hum :D

Hi guys, yes I've been to Alaska 7 times, the last time was two yrs ago, I'm ready to go again, you can't get enough of Alaska. Right now, my next cruise is in a couple of months to Canda/New England, never have been there before. Want to go back to Alaska, perhaps in May when there's more snow on the mountians. Its just to beautiful up there, want to see Sitka and more of the towns there. You can't get lost in Skagway, when I was there last, I wandered off the beaten path, saw a few new things.

The best way for me to describe "the draw" is that Alaska touches my soul, I feel in touch with God/the universe (whatever you believe as a "higher power"), that the clutter in my mind is cleared and I find myself, my essence, my core. And that "my core" is in touch and influenced by being in Alaska, the spirits, the beauty, the vastness. That my heart receives information that I need.

Oh the truth of this statement, I'm right there with you! Karon:)

We went on our first cruise and it was to Alaska in May. We were barely back less than a month and I was already planning in my head what our next cruise to Alaska would entail. We now have our next cruise booked to Alaska for 2011 and we are also planning a land trip afterward on our own.

This was our first cruise and we are so hooked on cruising and Alaska!

I have been back from my Alaska Cruise now 20 days and I find myself in deep depression from the "Alaska Fever":(. I thought I was getting better yesterday until I picked up all my photos, that's when the depression really set in:eek:. I actually think it is worse this time, then when I returned from my Alaska Cruise in 2007.

I just LOVE cruising to Alaska, it is such an amazing experience. Unfortunately, it is one of the more expensive cruises, so I will have to save up and hopefully book for 2012.

We have been back since June 27th, (from a 12 day cruisetour). I've didn't know what was wrong with me. I want to go back so bad. I have been in a deep funk! I have been enjoying working on my album that I bought on the ship thru Panraven, almost finished with uploading my prints and story, hope to have it back by the first of September. It was our first time cruising, first trip to Alaska, got a "suite" upgrade 6 days before we left. It was beautiful and breathtaking. I'm ready to go back and enjoy the ship and the ports this time, our wonderful excursions didn't leave much time or energy for the evening hours and excitement of night life on the ship.

We took our first trip to Alaska 18 years ago on a cruise/tour with Princess. We have been back every year since. I DO understand how you feel. May be time to plan your own trip there at this point. You will find it very rewarding. Funny thing is that a 7 night cruise up there turns out to be a bargain. You may want to check out Celebrity. For some reason their cruises next year are a bit cheaper than the others. Fine line as well.

It is a BEAUTY like no other. It is the cleanest air, I have ever breathed. It is the most green, I have ever seen. It is the most Wildlife, I have ever seen.

I love Alaska also and go pretty much every year, In fact I sail in a little over a week for trip #15. While I love Alaska and will continue to sail North in Jan 2009 I sailed my dream to Antarctica. Imagine Alaska x 10 and it still isn't the same. Antarctica is absolutely amazing, Alaska is the appetizer and Antarctica is the main course and dessert! Nothing else compares to sailing down there.

On our last cruise I took more than 2000 photos, which is more than double what I usually take on a cruise.

:)

O.K. I feel better knowing, that I am not the only one who is obsessed about taking pictures in Alaska. I filled up 4 - 2GB & 3 - 8GB cards :eek:. I'm not sure how many pictures that is, as I am still downloading them. I am a scrapbooker, so there is no such thing as "too many pictures" :D

Very well said! I am not a religious person but I have always said " Alaska is truly God's land " If it wasn't so cold there, I would really consider moving there but then maybe it would lose some of it's magic.

Archived