ID getting off and on ship

lcmc

Do you need to have your ID to get off and on the ship or just your S&S card?

You only "need" your S&S card, but why wouldn't you carry ID off of the ship. I posted this on a passport thread as well. Think about it...you get off the ship and have some sort of emergency...and have to stay on the island and perhaps have to find another way home. The last thing that you want to have to worry about in an emergency situation is locating your ID.

We always carry our ID, passports and insurance cards (or copies of them) anytime we are off the ship.

When we docked in Key West, we had to show our photo id along with the S&S card to get back to the ship. I don't know about anyone else but that day, the agents checking, were very thorough in checking to make sure the id's matched the S&S.

Your driver's license is the ideal form of ID.

I always advise against leaving the ship with your passport. The chances of it being lost or stolen are far greater than your chances of missing the ship.

If you happened to lose your sail and sign and ID, you could present yourself at the ship and they have your picture in the system and can compare your signature to prove who you are. And your passport is locked safely in the room safe and you will have no hassles getting back home.

If your passport gets stolen, you may have a delay getting back into the USA, and it costs more to replace a passport than a driver's license.

Do you need to have your ID to get off and on the ship or just your S&S card?

No, you do not ever need an ID to enter or exit the ship in port . . . .BUT . . . sometimes you have to have a photo ID to enter the port area, which means it is a good ID to take DL with you off the ship.

On all my Alaskan cruises they never asked for Photo ID only S&S pass. But on all my Mexican and Caribbean cruises they always asked for photo ID and S&S pass to get through the gate to the cruise ship. So, yes have your photo ID with you.

Have fun...

i have a passport card and have made a good color copy of it sealed in clear

plastic. Would this work for picture ID to get back on the boat if i left my driver license and real passport card in the safe?

No, you do not ever need an ID to enter or exit the ship in port . . . .BUT . . . sometimes you have to have a photo ID to enter the port area, which means it is a good ID to take DL with you off the ship.

This is not necessarily true. When we were in San Juan on July 25th and was exiting the ship to make a quick trip to CVS, the security officer would not let us off without having both an id and S&S card. Two in our party had to run to their cabins to retrieve theirs and then were let off the ship. In every port that we stopped (St. Thomas, Barbados, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, & St. Marteen) officers requested picture id and S&S to enter the dock to embark.

This is not necessarily true. When we were in San Juan on July 25th and was exiting the ship to make a quick trip to CVS, the security officer would not let us off without having both an id and S&S card. Two in our party had to run to their cabins to retrieve theirs and then were let off the ship. In every port that we stopped (St. Thomas, Barbados, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, & St. Marteen) officers requested picture id and S&S to enter the dock to embark.

That security officer was doing your friends a favor as he knew they would not be able to get through security at the port entrance when returning to board the ship.:) If he/she had let the 2 in your party off without the ID's, how would they have been able to return to the ship? Saved the rest of you of having to go back to the ship, get their ID'S for them so they could board. Maybe all ship securities should do that at ports where they know you will need it to return.:)

On all my Alaskan cruises they never asked for Photo ID only S&S pass. But on all my Mexican and Caribbean cruises they always asked for photo ID and S&S pass to get through the gate to the cruise ship. So, yes have your photo ID with you.

Have fun...

It's funny how hit and miss it can be. I just did a Mexican Riviera cruise in June, and no one checked photo ID in any port. Two years ago when we did a 4 day that first stopped in San Diego - our ID was checked three times at different checkpoints before we could get on the ship!

In Nassau I had to return to the ship to get my DH's Drivers License because it is NECESSARY to return to the ship. I would advise against EVER leaving the ship without a form of picture ID.

It's funny how hit and miss it can be. I just did a Mexican Riviera cruise in June, and no one checked photo ID in any port. Two years ago when we did a 4 day that first stopped in San Diego - our ID was checked three times at different checkpoints before we could get on the ship!

It's not so much a hit or miss. There are certain ports that require a picture ID all of the time and some that do not ever ask.

It's not so much a hit or miss. There are certain ports that require a picture ID all of the time and some that do not ever ask.

And there are some in Mexico that will check one time, but not another, as has happened to me. Of course the main point is what others have said - you should always bring a photo ID off the ship.

This may be a silly question, I have a drivers license but it has expired, and I cannot renew it until my green card arrives which it is unlikely to before my cruise. I would rather not take my passport of the ship so do you think it would be ok to use my license, do you think they would even look that hard at the expiry date?

This may be a silly question, I have a drivers license but it has expired, and I cannot renew it until my green card arrives which it is unlikely to before my cruise. I would rather not take my passport of the ship so do you think it would be ok to use my license, do you think they would even look that hard at the expiry date?

No. They're really more concerned about your picture matching your face (somewhat:D) and/or the name on your S&S matching your ID.

In Nassau I had to return to the ship to get my DH's Drivers License because it is NECESSARY to return to the ship. I would advise against EVER leaving the ship without a form of picture ID.

The OP asked if it was needed to get on the ship. In Nassau it is not needed to get on the ship, it is needed to get onto the dock. Different than what the OP asked.

No one has ever mentioned that anything other than the S&S card is checked when you enter or leave the ship itself.

As numerous people have mentioned in some ports it is necessary to have a photo ID to enter the dock area, but Carnival does not require it for you to go back on the ship itself.

The OP asked if it was needed to get on the ship. In Nassau it is not needed to get on the ship, it is needed to get onto the dock. Different than what the OP asked.

No one has ever mentioned that anything other than the S&S card is checked when you enter or leave the ship itself.

As numerous people have mentioned in some ports it is necessary to have a photo ID to enter the dock area, but Carnival does not require it for you to go back on the ship itself.

Since its impossible to get back on the ship, without going through the terminal, it is needed to get back on the ship.

Since its impossible to get back on the ship, without going through the terminal, it is needed to get back on the ship.

Exactly! A matter of wording but that is the gist of what the OP REALLY wanted to know. Does one need to bring a photo ID when leaving the ship? It's not a matter of showing it at each point but the fact that if at one point, you require it to get back on the ship.

Kinda irrelavant and extremely moot. when it`s virtually impossible to board a ship without passing through security on the dock.

Sometimes it`s helpful trying to anticipate what the OP is looking for.

Archived