New to Regent

cburger100

I cannot thank you enough! Your info is invaluable. I had not thought to do the Google map thing...hope I am capable. Ice cream is a weakness-also chocolate. We are signed up for the truffle class and the walking tour in Tallin. I wonder if there is duplication.

We selected our excursions the moment they were available online and were successful in getting everything- Catherine's, Peterhoff, Hermitage, chocolate!!! canal cruises, Medeival, etc. I heard the gift shop in the Hermitage is topnotch. Hope I can find it.

We are now evaluating how many currencies to bring as our 12 day cruise also includes Scandinavia. I assume any large purchase can be on a credit card. Have dollars lost their charm?

I am exhausted already!!!!

I did the chocolate truffle class in Tallinn. It was hot that day - in the 90's. After you make the truffles, they are put in the refrigerator to set up. Mine looked very pretty when they were given to me all packaged up. I then walked around the Old Town area for an hour or more. The chocolates melted some so I put the chocolates back in our room fridge after I got back to the ship. They then set up in one big chocolate. They were still very good, though! I'm sure if it had been cooler, they would have looked better!

Have fun!

Karen

You're welcome, Noriboating. Two things I forgot to mention--I'm going through my pics for the trip, and that reminded me.

When going through the various places in St. P, including the Hermitage, don't forget to look at the floors. The woodwork in them is amazing, and you have to remember to stop looking around and up all the time and also look down!

Secondly, in our Highlights of St. P tour, they took us to the outside of the Church of the Spilled Blood, and it's impressive, and then we wandered around the market across the street--keep an eye out for wedding parties and stretch-Hummers! Also, in the market, the Football team matryoshka dolls are worth a picture. However, one had to pay to go into the Church, and, unfortunately, it was not until we were on the road again that the tour guide mentioned that the inside of the church was famous for something (I think it was icons). If she had given any indication when we stopped, we would have gone in, so you may want to consider it, or at least, ask about it before you get back on the bus.

Re shopping and currency:

You can't miss the gift shops at the Hermitage--what may happen is that you may not have enough time to do extensive shopping there. We were not into any of the items, but were fascinated by their book store, which had books on art and architecture that we had never seen elsewhere. Shipmates said that the lacquer boxes in the stores at the Summer Palace and at Peterhof were of good quality--but that's hearsay on my part--I did notice that the bottoms of the boxes in the souvenir store were scratched.

Most places take credit cards--I assume you know that there is a transaction charge on these as well as your ATM cards. Dollars are accepted in most places--they don't seem to have lost their charm (except in Tallinn, for some reason), only their buying power---be prepared for sticker shock on basic things like food in Scandinavia. ATMs are everywhere, so getting local currency is not a problem. We had the same concern as you did re all the kinds of currency we needed, but only took some Swedish Kronner when we left as we were getting in really early on a Saturday--wasn't necessary, as the airports were great, and then got walking-around money as we needed it.

Oh yes, we did bring back some chocolate from Russia for a friend, and the tour guide told us which ones to get at the food market--she pointed them out to us. Surprisingly good dark chocolate (of course we got some for ourselves!) Also, if you're coming back from Copenhagen, they have outstanding prices at the airport duty-free store on Toblerone--make sure you get the 15% discount coupons they were handing out. One last issue--you'll hate me for this--the ship does have good chocolate icecream!

The store on the ship has good jewelry--an enjoyable way to spend some time browsing--keep an eye out for an exquisite yin-yang pendant. Also, I wonder if you'll see the same jewelry display that was there when we were on board--3 mannequins embodying the phrase "cutting of your face to spite your nose".

Finally, keep an eye on the weather forecast (variable as it seems to be) in the various cities before you leave. We pack very lightly, and it was a problem, as the weather kept changing. Currently, it sounds like the hot spell is hitting St. P again--remember, no air-conditioning in many/most places there.

Thanks txladycruiser. I guess I'll take photos! I didn't think you could take food to the US but probably not a problem as it undoubtedly will be consumed immediately.Do you recommend this excursion? Does it make sense to do this in the AM and then take the walking tour?

I wish I knew how to pack light! I will have clothing for any eventuality.

We are doing 2 tours instead of the "highlights" as we will be inside the church on the Cathedrals excursion.

My husband and I must be the only people on Earth who have never used an ATM.

FYI, to the best of my knowledge, the Capital One card does not charge a fee. We use it exclusively for European travel .

No one mentioned caviar.

I heard the Cathedral tour was good--I can believe it, given the ones we saw, both there, and in other cities (there was an absolutely unique Christ in a church off the Stroget in Copenhagen).

I knew about Cap One (thanks or mentioning it)--believe BofA is similar.

Ask your tour guides about caviar--they are very knowledgeable about such things. Sasha was talking about it, but I tuned him out, as I'm not into it. Now, if you want to know about great icecream in Copenhagen, or, arguably, the best desserts cafe there (which many know about, but don't know that you can get free refills on your hot chocolate!), then I'm your man.

Thanks txladycruiser. I guess I'll take photos! I didn't think you could take food to the US but probably not a problem as it undoubtedly will be consumed immediately.Do you recommend this excursion? Does it make sense to do this in the AM and then take the walking tour?

I enjoyed it. Doing it I the morning should be fine. On our cruise, there was a morning tour and another at 12:30. I was on the 12:30 so it was really hot then.

Enjoy!

Karern

This server does not like me! It lost my responses twice when I hit "submit"--wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I can still taste the ice cream in Tivolli (25 years ago!). What are your top picks for deserts/ice cream in the Baltic?

Ok. first our bias. We like dark unadulterated chocolate (no fruit flavors or stuffing, or liquor--some nuts are ok), rich chocolate cake (think flourless), cheesecake, and icecream. Most of the rest, we skip. Icecream is my favorite food group, and a balanced meal consists of one where the scoops of icecream in a hot fudge sundae (lots of fudge sauce) form an aesthetically pleasing balance of taste sensations and colors.

For your trip:

Can't tell you much about Stockholm--my research did not find any notable places nearby

On the ship, as I mentioned, the icecream on the 11th floor outside the Verandah is very good. Also, the petit fours in the Signatures and Prime 7 had some excellent items--unfortunately one of the dark chocolate was heavily laced with rum. The chocolate dessert in Signatures was excellent, despite the fact that it said it had raspberry--almost more of a textural effect rather than a taste sensation.

Hellsinki--Don't know about the city, but they took us to a chocolate store in Porvoo--recommend using that time walking around the streets instead.

St. P.--I mentioned the chocolate bars earlier--nothing special, but not bad, and pretty wrappers.

Tallinn--There is a "Homemade Chocolate Cafe" with a lizard above the sign (a sculpture--not a live one) that looked excellent. Not worth it at all. IF you're there, go instead to the Galleri across the street, which is an outstanding jewelry store, and is like walking into a top-notch craft show--outstanding work, and very imaginative. There were a couple of stores that were recommended by the guide, and we went into Chocolate du Pierre (I think was the name) and looked like you bought individual pieces and then poured various toppings on it. We didn't try it, but it's worth a look.

Visby--I mentioned the places at the port---just wandering through is great--imagine a food court with just desserts, primarily icecream, with happy-faced customers going "Life is good!"

Copenhagen--Icecream capital of the world! I've never seen such a concentration of Ben & Jerry shops (in case you get nostalgic for home)! Have to do this by category:

Bakeries: Walk into any bakery--use the length of lines as a guide. Get a number from the machine, and while you're waiting, try to make your choices. The staff we encountered was incredibly helpful and discriminating. If you are in Christianshavn, go to Lagkagehuset at Torvegade 45--I'm drooling as I write this. Just their chocolate muffins make me want to go back! We picked up lunch there (a small Focaccia (which was good) and lots of other goodies.

Icecream: If in Christiania, about 100 yds after you walk through the gate (the one where the sign on the back reads "You are now entering the EU"), there is a sign for icecream on the right. Try it--I did. Provided sustenance for the rest of our walk through Christiania, and had good flavor for no-name icecream. Other icecream places--Paradis Is--excellent taste and texture--stores all over the place. The icecream place at the bridge in Nyhavn--look for the line of people. Did not get to Bojesen or Flamingo, although they are supposed to be good.

Chocolate: Neuhaus Chokolade in Magasin du Nord's basement (don't bother with the one across the aisle from it)--yes I know you can get the bars here, but the individual pieces were excellent--try the Chocolate with Rose (violates my additives rule, but the name made it worth trying, and it created an interesting texture). Did not get to either Summerbird or Alida Marstrand. Did try Peter Beier Chokolades (next to La Lace--see later). The smell in the store was the best part of the experience. Rather disappointing--but maybe the varieties it's known for are not the ones we like.

Cake shop/Cafe: While on the Stroget, you HAVE to go to La Glace. We split (can you imagine that?) a chocolate mouse-type cake---ask the staff for help, as they are fantastic. It was excellent! I also had the hot chocolate (not the best I've had, but I'd definitely get it again). Here's the secret--we were eating outside, as it was a hot day, and the woman who had taken my order happened to come out and saw the evident bliss on my face, and told me, "You know you can get free refills on that!" So, I took the pot inside, and got a full free refill--no questions asked. The whole thing is an experience. While there, look in both windows--they had made some beautiful dolls from chocolate when we were there.

I think that covers it. Be prepared for sticker shock, and bring lots of acne medication!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just thought I'd add my two cents worth after reading the comments about Regent on the other thread.

1. Porvoo - there isn't much to do there but it is a quaint little town. It is picturesque and the Chocolate Store was good. We were not thrilled with that tour but there just isn't a lot to do in Helsinki.

2. Dress code: Most fine restaurants do have some kind of dress code. Almost all ships require long pants for both men and women after 6 except for Royal Caribbean and Carnival. HAL, Celebrity and Princess certainly won't let you in the main dining room in shorts.

3. Food is subjective but I can tell you that I have yet to have a bad meal on a Regent Ship and I am very picky. You can order from the plain spa menu or the right hand side. They will do whatever they can to make you happy even custom requests if placed a day ahead. And the ice cream? I hope for the cinnamon on my next cruise - it's incredible.

Archived