Power Outage on NCL Dawn 8/1 - 8/8 Bermuda Cruise!

RaMar

Yes, power went out for maybe 2 minutes while docked in Bermuda, and I heard that a passenger wants to sue because he/she was stuck in the elevator! I was on the cruise and on the ship when it happened.

maybe i'll be so lucky when I cruise Christmas! We are all so "sue happy", maybe she'll get a free cruise, for distress. I was stuck in an elevator at a hospital one time for maybe 30 minutes, and I never thought about suing. I just wanted out!

Yes, power went out for maybe 2 minutes while docked in Bermuda, and I heard that a passenger wants to sue because he/she was stuck in the elevator! I was on the cruise and on the ship when it happened.

Give me a break!

The time has come for judges to declare frivolous suits as such and charge the idiot plaintiff responsible for the defense's attorney and court costs.

Stuck in an elevator for 2 minutes? Not enough to ruin my cruise! That is, unless I was stuck with the wrong person.:D

When I was two years old and there were no sensors on the elevators (or maybe it was not working), my head got caught in the elevator door for about 3 minutes while people tried to pry the door open. When I was in college my dorm lost power and I was stuck in the elevator for an hour by myself. While I was a little grief stricken from the experience and had a little grease on my pants from having to climb out from between pants, nobody in my family even thought about suing. People these days, that's all they think about. I obviously have bad luck with elevators, :)

maybe i'll be so lucky when I cruise Christmas! We are all so "sue happy", maybe she'll get a free cruise, for distress. I was stuck in an elevator at a hospital one time for maybe 30 minutes, and I never thought about suing. I just wanted out!

I am with you 1000%!

When I was two years old and there were no sensors on the elevators (or maybe it was not working), my head got caught in the elevator door for about 3 minutes while people tried to pry the door open. When I was in college my dorm lost power and I was stuck in the elevator for an hour by myself. While I was a little grief stricken from the experience and had a little grease on my pants from having to climb out from between pants, nobody in my family even thought about suing. People these days, that's all they think about. I obviously have bad luck with elevators, :)

Keep it tight and I mean the head!!!

Give me a break!

The time has come for judges to declare frivolous suits as such and charge the idiot plaintiff responsible for the defense's attorney and court costs.

Am with you! Only sharing what happened!

Give me a break! The power was out for more like 45 seconds! I didn't even have time to turn on the battery operated candle that we had brought with us. Of course, I was stumbling around in the dark in our interior cabin trying to get to the table where it was!

Stuck in an elevator for 2 minutes? Not enough to ruin my cruise! That is, unless I was stuck with the wrong person.:D

Being stuck in an elevator for 2 minutes is a long time and with all the mirrors, he/she spent the whole time looking at themself, so maybe that is their reason they want to sue.

Being stuck in an elevator for 2 minutes is a long time and with all the mirrors, he/she spent the whole time looking at themself, so maybe that is their reason they want to sue.

ditto! Everyone is after an easy $! Hope he/she had lights on!!!

On a TA aboard QM2, we lost power for about an hour in the middle of the night. I wasn't stuck in an elevator and I didn't hear of anyone who was. The next day, we had power for hotels operations but we were drifting at sea all morning. After all that, the next day we encountered a storm with for 10 winds (on a 11 scale). Thanks god we didn't lose power during the storm this could have turned extremely bad, but it didn't happen. I didn't hear anyone talking about sueing the company. Many people were sick, many didn't enjoy the cruise anymore but those people were realistic... sue NCL for being stuck in an elevator, this reveals the stupidity/lack of class/greed of the person who said that.

I live out in the boomies. Just about every thunder storm we lose power. The juice comes from only one direction...

I doubt seriously she will receive any money with a lawsuit...

I agree, people who sue for such small outages should have to pay the court fees and defense lawyers fees...

Of course the case will be thrown out of court as the outage probably occurred in international waters... US law doesn't apply...

At sea the captain of the ship is judge and jury...

I live out in the boomies. Just about every thunder storm we lose power. The juice comes from only one direction...

I doubt seriously she will receive any money with a lawsuit...

I agree, people who sue for such small outages should have to pay the court fees and defense lawyers fees...

Of course the case will be thrown out of court as the outage probably occurred in international waters... US law doesn't apply...

At sea the captain of the ship is judge and jury...

The cruise contract specifies which law applies. For NCL this is Florida law(except where preempted by US federal law). US law has provisions concerning physical injury on a cruise ship on a cruise that leave from, stop or return to the US.

Of course this would be a frivolous lawsuit but sometimes one persons frivolous lawsuit is someone real lawsuit....

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

You were actually really lucky. I was on the Dawn in NOvember when it lost power for over 8 hours. They couldn't restore power fully and so we limped to Puerto Rico and had no AC for TWO DAYS. The bathrooms didn't work for a day and they had to ration water!

They ended up chartering planes to fly us to Miami.

This seems to be happening quite a bit on the Dawn. Rumor has it that she's going into Dry Dock soon anyway.

Another reason to take the stairs. Good exercise and no law suit :D.

and who is she going to blame? NCL, Bermuda, or maybe great Britian?

I guess my mind doesn't work right, I need to find something to sue someone for, but I just can't think that fast.

Nita

Another reason to take the stairs. Good exercise and no law suit :D.

She they could find something to sue for, maybe the lights wrern't working so they tripped on the stairs or maybe they were so scared they chose to sit down and someone tripped over them?

Nita

Once the power went out inthe Mall and I was stuck on the escalator for 2 hours. I am going to sue. Ok partly true the power did go out and I was on the escalator at the time. later found out a main cable had been cut and the power was out for about 3 hours. The mall had to close as the stores could not ring up sales as all the computers/cash registers were down.

On board ship one late afternoon after returning from a shore excurision we were all a little hungry and dinner was not until some time later. so I went up to the buffet and loaded up a plate to bring back to our room. I had it loaded for the 4 of us. Getting into the elevator for the ride back to the room there were 4-5 other people in there. After the doors closed one spoke up and said "at least if we get stuck in the elevator we have something to eat". I had to get out of there fast inorder to protect my food.

Once the power went out inthe Mall and I was stuck on the escalator for 2 hours.

OK, English is not my first language but if am I not mistaken (what I could easily be), an escalator are a type of mechanical stairs... how could you get stuck? You could walk the stairs up or down, no?

Just trying to understand.

OK, English is not my first language but if am I not mistaken (what I could easily be), an escalator are a type of mechanical stairs... how could you get stuck? You could walk the stairs up or down, no?

Just trying to understand.

It is a joke and the fact that you could simply walk up or down is the punch line.

Yes, it was a joke, but I was actualy stuck on an escalator once. :) A woman several people ahead of me on a down escalator had a piece of wheeled luggage get stuck at the bottom. The suitcase completely blocked the exit so we all started walking when we saw her stuck there, struggling to get it free. We walked up, actually staying in place for a minute or two and when it became obvious it was going to take a while we picked up the pace and exited at the top. The people ahead of me, closer to her, stumbled over the suitcase and railing at the bottom, one of them falling. It was scary, mostly because of the number of people on the escalator at the time. Crowds can get pushy. I came very close to falling. But it has become a joke that only I could get stuck on an escalator. :p

Archived