Best Port for beaches with families

dancergirlmom

We are a group of 19 (including 11 kids ages 9-14) and are going to the following ports over Thanksgiving on NCL: Key West, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan. We know we want to go to the beach vs. excursions 1-2 times on the trip. Which one or two of these ports offer the best beaches for our group? Any you'd stay away from? Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Roatan is my favorite!! We go to West Bay! We typically tell the Taxi driver to take us to Fosters. You pay a fee to get in and it usually includes a drink coupon. We rent our snorkel equipment from them too! Then we hike (to the left!!) half way down the beach to the most amazing off beach snorkeling I have ever seen. The drop off are amazing. The beach is amazing. The water is beautiful!!! (Can you tell I kind of love this spot in the world??)

In Belize we like to do the excursion to Geoff's Cay. It's a cute little island. :) DH stayed on the boat to snorkel. He said it was ok. It's not as good as Roatan but the island is nice to hang out! There are also no "real" beaches in Belize. You have to go to a cay or I think there is one man-made beach at a resort. If you want something different rent a taxi and go out to their zoo. It's a small zoo but there are some really cool animals. It's located in the rainforrest.

I agree, Roatan is gorgeous. Tabayana Beach on West Bay is fantastic and we all had a wonderful time there.

I've also heard that Costa Maya has some great beaches (in the small town of Majahual that's a short cab ride away).

Belize...not so much. You have to get to any of the decent beaches by boat and it's honestly a pain in the butt (personally, my next stop in Belize, if ever, will be spent on the ship).

Key West, as far as I saw, didn't have many beaches to speak of (other than narrow little neighborhood beaches). It's a fun place to explore though, especially with kids.

Key West really isn't know for beaches....but it's great for lovely walking about, food, drink and silly souveniers!

Your best bet is a guidebook on your ports, so you'll know about the places you'll be visiting! Not only will the book tell you about the beaches, but it will inform you of the transportation, bathroom facilities, food/drink, watersport rentals....and shopping, history,....pretty much everything you need to (or should) know when visiting other countries!

We are a group of 19 (including 11 kids ages 9-14) and are going to the following ports over Thanksgiving on NCL: Key West, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan. We know we want to go to the beach vs. excursions 1-2 times on the trip. Which one or two of these ports offer the best beaches for our group? Any you'd stay away from? Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Key west - tons of options

Costa Maya - suggest a ruins tour to chankanaab in the morning and relaxing on the beach in the afternoon right by the cruise ship

Belize - due cave tubing

Roatan - Tabayana Beach - AWESOME!

Chankanaab is on island of Cozumel, not at/near Costa Maya.

Check out Port of Call boards on this website and you will find good comments for all those ports. That would be a good place to post your question. At Costa Maya there was a beach & a pool with shops & food places all around. There are ruins to see near Costa Maya.

At Key West we (2 grandparents with 6 grandkids ages 9-16) rented a tiny/miniature electric car -- sort of like a great big golf cart which held all 8 of us -- Mike drove all over the town and went to a couple beaches (but it was in December near Christmas & a really really cold front had blown overnight!). Google for a map of Key West and then you can see where some beaches are. Also, there is a place with a monument which is supposedly the southernmost point in US.

Archived