Tricare for Life on a cruise

HazeGray

Has anyone had any experiences using Tricare For Life during a cruise either on the ship or an overseas medical facility?

It is my understanding that with TFL you are covered overseas and your out of pocket expense is limited to $3000 per year. If you can afford that $3K then additional insurance is not necessary.

However, I am seriously considering MedEvac coverage only.

Any comments or thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I went to a military-related organization's TFL publication, and basically, TRICARE Standard would be your primary coverage for overseas healthcare; however, you would have to pay for any medical care yourself and then submit a claim for any TRICARE-covered benefits reimbursement, but you would be reimbursed only for allowed-charges less the TRICARE Standard deductibles. The maximum out-of-pocket expense to you is capped at $3,000 (per family, per fiscal year). The article ends with the following statement: "For those traveling overseas we recommend travel insurance to cover these additional fees and cost-shares."

We are TFL-covered, but always purchase travel insurance as our primary insurer. If you are USAA members, they offer very good travel insurance through their website using a company which specializes in travel insurance. Hope this helps you a bit! Have a great cruise! :)

I am neither an employee nor have any family members employed by USAA or their subcontracter insurer. I have used services from both companies and have been very satisfied.

Bill_S is correct. Your claim would be processed under Tricare Standard, subject to your deductible and copay. Most medical facilities, doctors, etc., are going to make you pay first, and you'd have to submit the claims later for reimbursement.

Be advised that if you do purchase travel insurance, you MUST make sure that travel insurance is the primary payer! Federal law requires Tricare to always be the last payer to any other insurance.

Highly advise you also purchase travel insurance that will cover medical.

• 4 weeks later...

We are TFL as well and also always purchase travel insurance with medical coverage, and have separate coverage for medevac which covers us anywhere as long as we are at least 150 miles from home. TRICARE is always secondary insurance under these cases.

Cheers,

• 5 years later...

We have taken the ships insurance which provides medical evac. Medical coverage is out of reach because of preexisting conditions. i suspect we will be covered by Tricare Standard Overseas. which appears to have a 25 percent deductible. i did find a $3000 cap.The risk/benefit is tolerable.

HOWEVER ( From Tricare site))

After you reach your catastrophic cap, you won’t have to pay anything more in most cases. But there are some exceptions.

The cap applies to all covered services:

• annual deductibles (if applicable)
  • pharmacy copayments
  • enrollment fees/monthly premiums (if applicable)
  • other cost shares based on TRICARE-allowable charges.

The cap does not apply to services not covered by TRICARE or to any amount that non-participating providers may charge above the TRICARE maximum allowable charge for services.

Is RCCL a Participating Provider????

Is RCCL a Participating Provider????

I'm 99.9% sure that RCCL is NOT a healthcare provider. They are a cruiseline.

Yes, there is a doctor on board. Yes, there is an RN on board. The MD and the RN are private contractors. Yes, as a convienience, RCCL will let you pay cash for services rendered by billing your on board account if applicable