Positano & Sorrento shopping

nana2D

Are the shops open in Positano during the afternoon or do they close for hours like Sorrento does?

Which place is the best to shop for Italian goods? Any recommendations on great buys to bring back?

Our experience is that some of the shops do stay open in Positano and others close for the typical afternoon meal (some call it a siesta). Sorrento is a much bigger shopping town then Sorrento and has all kinds of shops selling both Italian goods as well as cheaper imported goods (its why our friends do their back to school shopping in Sorrento). Positano has some excellent high-end shops and also has some cute shops with surprising finds. My wife once found nice Italian loafers (made in Positano) for less then $100 (prices have increased since those days about 10 years ago). You can also find excellent Limoncello in Positano..although my wife swears that Ravello has the best Limoncello.

Hank

Our experience is that some of the shops do stay open in Positano and others close for the typical afternoon meal (some call it a siesta). Sorrento is a much bigger shopping town then Sorrento and has all kinds of shops selling both Italian goods as well as cheaper imported goods (its why our friends do their back to school shopping in Sorrento). Positano has some excellent high-end shops and also has some cute shops with surprising finds. My wife once found nice Italian loafers (made in Positano) for less then $100 (prices have increased since those days about 10 years ago). You can also find excellent Limoncello in Positano..although my wife swears that Ravello has the best Limoncello.

Hank

I appreciate the info, thank you!

Although I agree with Hank on most things, and value his wise advice, he doesn't love Sorrento the way I do! :)

Sorrento is a great place to buy the beautiful intarsio (inlaid carved wood) music boxes, since they make them there. It's also good for locally made leather gloves, shoes and belts, silk ties and locally designed and made clothing.

I have also bought some delicious limoncello made in Sorrento, although extremely nice limoncello can be found all over the Amalfi coast.

Most, if not all of the shops will be closed for a few hours after lunch.

Edited to add: Prices are likely to be slightly cheaper in Sorrento than Positano.

Lisa

WE will be docked in sorrento sep 7 0700 to1900. What is this best way to get to positano and see the most scenery on the way?

The answer depends on your spirit of adventure. This will probably be a tender port so this will reduce your time ashore by a couple of hours. But, if you want a reasonbly priced day and a very interesting experience you might want to take the regional SITA bus line which runs from just outside the Sorrento train station along the Amalfi Drive. This bus will take you to Positano, and unlike the large tour buses (which are not allowed into Positano) you will actually be able to get off the bus at Positano and have the time to enjoy this amazing city. These buses can get pretty crowded, but in September you might even get a seat on the right side (the best place when heading towards Positano). Another great place on the coast is the small town of Ravello which is more challenging to access with public transportation. You would have to take that same SITA bus all the way to Amalfi where you can then transfer to the local bus that runs from the square in Amalfi up to Ravello. Of course your life would be much simpler if you hired a private car and guide for the day.....but this would also leave you a lot poorer (at least financially).

Hank

If you like nice ceramics, there are plenty in Sorrento. The prices were definitely better in Sorrento than Positano. Try walking from the central tourist area a bit & into the backstreets and you will find couple shops that are much better priced. We found very nice little ceramics dishes for 2 Euros each at a hidden shop and later saw the exact same ones being sold for 5 Euros at the central market.

My sister in law and I both will look for that little shop on the side street in Sorrento. Nice to know that the costs are less than in Positano so we won't spend as much time shopping in Positano. I am a big fan of Limoncello, found it on my last trip to Italy and am looking forward to bringing some home. We end up at our home town on our cruise so we can bring lots home without worrying about getting it on a plane. There goes the credit card!!!!Thanks so much!!!

Archived