Thanks to Everyone

SingleFatherofDD

First, let me tell you about myself. I am a single father of an adopted 4 year old DD who was a child of one of my cousins. She wasn't able to continue to take care of her and the father is unknown because of the way she was conceived. I am a medical doctor practicing in NY. However, I have been monitoring these chat rooms for many months since the adoption was final. I have been on many cruises before with my parents and by myself but this is the first with a child. It is a early birthday gift for my new daughter.

Now I want to thank you all for the wonderful information that you post in this chat room. Everything from the type of paperwork that is needed before the cruise is to start to the daily programs. You all are a great asset to the many parents that are out there. I have memories of when I cruised as a youngest. I started when I was 5 years old which is about 26 years ago. A lot has changed in the cruising industry since then. I am sure that I will have a fun time with my DD.

My DD and I will be leaving on the Veendam in a couple of days. I plan on seeing how she likes Club HAL. Most of my cruises have been on HAL since childhood. That is why I picked it for my first cruise. If there are any other tips, hints, or information that you would like to send my way please feel free to.

Again thanks for the information and I hope to be around for many more years as DD grows.

These are my must haves when traveling with dd at that age.

1. Take sundresses and swimsuits. They are great for when you go on an excursion. Inexpensive sundresses make wonderful cover-ups!

2. Sundresses can also be worn to dinner.

3. Take sandals and tennis shoes!

4. Bring shorts and t-shirts for the play center. It's much easier to play in those than a dress. (Or pack some kids bike shorts to wear under the dresses.)

5. Don't forget really cute sunglasses and sunscreen.

6. If you can swing it buy some sand toys before you go! Small shovel and bucket. If not take disposable drink cups!! They will work for building sandcastles on the beach!!

7. Take some of her favorite snacks! It's handy to grab that bag of cheez-it crackers on your way out the door for an excursion. They will be starving one hr into the excursion even though you ate breakfast 20 minutes ago. :)

8. Let her take her comfort items she sleeps with. (With in reason. My 10 year old has a bed full of stuff. She is limited to her pillow and one sm stuffed animal when we travel)

9. Bring a portable DVD player for the room. It has come in handy in the past.

10. Pack some surprises for the trip! (New coloring book, new story book, things like that!)

I hope you have a fantastic time!!!!! Congratulations on your adoption!!!! :)

I have started laying out some of her clothes for the cruise. Luckily I am leaving from a port that I can travel to by car. I would say about 90% of the time I have to take a plane to the departure port. DD has traveled on planes and has never had a problem this is her first cruise.

I like your idea for shorts underneath I didn't think of that. It is hard being a male and raising a daughter by yourself. Hopefully, I will have luck finding a nice lady to marry who enjoys cruises to help me raise my DD in the next few years. DD knows already she can take her blanket and two stuff animals. She will probably get one on the trip also. I think she is like all little girls, in that half their bed is covered by stuff animals. She has some coloring books and uses my iPad for movies. I have downloaded a couple of the new movies onto the iPad and also have some of her old ones on my computer.

You are all great.

I have over 100 days on HAL growing up so I know what they are like however, I haven't been in any of the club HAL activities for 18 years. A lot of things have changed in he cruising industry since then. First and foremost most of the ships are built with families in mind.

I do have a question. You hear that some of the ship have problems with there A/C from time to time. Either it can be cold or it can be hot. I still live with my parents who help take care of DD. We keep the house around 68 degrees and DD sleeps in a nightgown. Is there anything I could do or should bring with me in case the room is too cold or too hot.

I have started laying out some of her clothes for the cruise. Luckily I am leaving from a port that I can travel to by car. I would say about 90% of the time I have to take a plane to the departure port. DD has traveled on planes and has never had a problem this is her first cruise.

I like your idea for shorts underneath I didn't think of that. It is hard being a male and raising a daughter by yourself. Hopefully, I will have luck finding a nice lady to marry who enjoys cruises to help me raise my DD in the next few years. DD knows already she can take her blanket and two stuff animals. She will probably get one on the trip also. I think she is like all little girls, in that half their bed is covered by stuff animals. She has some coloring books and uses my iPad for movies. I have downloaded a couple of the new movies onto the iPad and also have some of her old ones on my computer.

You are all great.

If you have a gymboree store close by they sell "bike" shorts that are designed to be worn under dresses. At age 4 I wouldn't worry too much about it but it comes in handy for dresses at camp and at preschool. At the beach not such a big deal. :)

Do not forget a little first aid kit!! ( I know you are a dr. but I have to throw it in! It's the mom in me!) Bandaids, neosporin and hydrocortisone creams are must takes on a cruise!! I never leave for a cruise without them. I also take children's motrin and a children's cold med. They do not sell them in the gift shops. You have to go to the infirmary to pick them up and it has really odd hrs. Plus the mystery cough and mystery ear ache only strike at 2am. :)

These are my must haves when traveling with dd at that age.

1. Take sundresses and swimsuits. They are great for when you go on an excursion. Inexpensive sundresses make wonderful cover-ups!

2. Sundresses can also be worn to dinner.

3. Take sandals and tennis shoes!

4. Bring shorts and t-shirts for the play center. It's much easier to play in those than a dress. (Or pack some kids bike shorts to wear under the dresses.)

5. Don't forget really cute sunglasses and sunscreen.

6. If you can swing it buy some sand toys before you go! Small shovel and bucket. If not take disposable drink cups!! They will work for building sandcastles on the beach!!

7. Take some of her favorite snacks! It's handy to grab that bag of cheez-it crackers on your way out the door for an excursion. They will be starving one hr into the excursion even though you ate breakfast 20 minutes ago. :)

8. Let her take her comfort items she sleeps with. (With in reason. My 10 year old has a bed full of stuff. She is limited to her pillow and one sm stuffed animal when we travel)

9. Bring a portable DVD player for the room. It has come in handy in the past.

10. Pack some surprises for the trip! (New coloring book, new story book, things like that!)

I hope you have a fantastic time!!!!! Congratulations on your adoption!!!! :)

I had to laugh at this one. My DD(13) still wears her dance bootie shorts under her dresses. She doesn't wear dresses too often anymore (funerals, weddings, and elegant nights), but DH started the rule when she was young...no dresses without SHORTS under them. Personally, I think it makes her feel more comfortable wearing dresses with them.

BTW great list...it included everything I would have said.

OP have a great trip. It is always a blast seeing things through a child's eyes. I never get tired of it ... and my kids are now teens.

You are all great.

My kids have always had their own rolling back pack that they use for their carry-on/car bag. They can take what they want as long as it fits in their bag and they know that they are in charge of hauling it around. At 4 their bags were smaller than they are now. I usually get them a couple of new items to put in it (games, books, under water cameras, magazines...lately it's been iTunes money a couple days before to load their iPods) and they have their favorites (DS(16) Ty Babies Reindeer and DD(13) Garage Sale Lambie) that have gone on every cruise with them.

I also had them do their own scrap books of our cruises (I helped them doing them when they were younger) that they can keep for future memories. They would include pictures, post cards, key cards, and notes of what they did everyday.

See I knew I came to the right place. I think I should have started posting in these boards sooner. Maybe not in the Family Cruise area, but there are other great areas. I do like the idea of the bike shorts or regular shorts underneath her dresses. I don't think I would have her wear them under her formal dress but when she goes to the kids club I would. She hasn't got any modesty yet. I don't think for the first 4 years her mother didn't teach her anything. I am starting but don't really know what to do. My mom and some close friends are giving me advice.

For a conference I went to I bought her own roll case which she is allowed to take with her. She understand that what ever she takes she needs to be responsible for. Of course I will keep an eye on it but it teaches children responsibility. Also I purchased her a nice formal dress. This is the first time we are going to take pictures together. I can't wait to show my parents when I get home. She is so excited that the days that I am home she comes into my room and jumps on the bed and starts say we have so and so days left. We leave on Sunday. I also have a Christmas cruise planned for this year. I didn't tell her about that one yet.

Thanks for the friendship.

I always find it too cold in the cabins so my kids wear pajamas that they wear in the spring and fall. Long bottoms and sleeves. They move around so much that they get uncovered. I like the jammies from the gap that are tight fitting and my 3 and 4yr olds wear them.

You are going to have such a wonderful time! I wish I was going on a cruise NOW!:D

I always find it too cold in the cabins so my kids wear pajamas that they wear in the spring and fall. Long bottoms and sleeves. They move around so much that they get uncovered. I like the jammies from the gap that are tight fitting and my 3 and 4yr olds wear them.

You are going to have such a wonderful time! I wish I was going on a cruise NOW!:D

That is very true!! Night time in the cabins can be chilly! I usually pack a set of pjs that have long pants and a short sleeved top. Definately take two sets of pjs. Also pick up a button down cardigan for the dinning room. It gets chilly in there too.

Thanks for the quick responses. Some of the things you ladies are mentioning I would have forgotten or not even brought with me. However, I do have one problem. And that is DD has never worn anything other than her nightgowns to bed. I don't know if she would be comfortable in other types of PJ. I am willing to go out and buy a pair to try on the cruise but what happens if she doesn't like them.

For the person who thought about the first aid kit. You have a great idea and I think that everyone should bring one with them. From a day trip to a multiple day trip. One thing that some people can't do is to bring an antibiotic with them. When I was younger like my DD age my father who was also a Doctor would bring Amoxilcilin with us but not add the water. I have started doing the same thing for DD. Maybe if you could mention it to your doctor you would be able to take it with you. The medication is not activated until you add the water to powder. Once you do it becomes the pink mixture.

If anyone is wondering, I am in my fellowship to become a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon.

I think you may be surprised at how easily kids can roll with things. It could very well be that she's only worn nightgowns bc those are the only things that have been available to her. If you get her a set of PJ's with her favorite characters on them (disney store has cute ones, they sell online as well) there's a good chance she may love them. http://www.disneystore.com/kids-clothes-accessories/sleepwear/c/15050/

And bless your heart for taking on this life-changing undertaking in adopting her. You've just given yourself the best gift you could and I think you'll see glimpses of that now and then for the rest of your life.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick responses. Some of the things you ladies are mentioning I would have forgotten or not even brought with me. However, I do have one problem. And that is DD has never worn anything other than her nightgowns to bed. I don't know if she would be comfortable in other types of PJ. I am willing to go out and buy a pair to try on the cruise but what happens if she doesn't like them.

Don't mess with it. If she if comfortable in it I wouldn't mess with buying a new one. :)

For the person who thought about the first aid kit. You have a great idea and I think that everyone should bring one with them. From a day trip to a multiple day trip. One thing that some people can't do is to bring an antibiotic with them. When I was younger like my DD age my father who was also a Doctor would bring Amoxilcilin with us but not add the water. I have started doing the same thing for DD. Maybe if you could mention it to your doctor you would be able to take it with you. The medication is not activated until you add the water to powder. Once you do it becomes the pink mixture.

I tried that once and our pediatrician didn't go for it. LOL! I had to try. He reminded me the ship has a dr on it. I will confess he did give me his cell phone number just in case we had any problems when we travel in the states. :)

If anyone is wondering, I am in my fellowship to become a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon.

Good luck with your fellowship!!

I'm a 'retired' ortho surgery nurse.

Congratulations on now cruising as a family. I too cruised as a child with my family and now I am cruising with my own kids. Its a wonderful experience. Your DD will love it too and you both will have great memories to share for years to come. Have a wonderful cruise. Your DD is lucky to have such a wonderful caring father like you. Being a pediatrician doesnt hurt either :) I am a pediatric nurse practitioner and always bring the non-reconstituted antibioticsfor my kids as well. After this last cruise where my son burned his feet on the hot decking and daughter ended up with eye irritation from the pools, I now bring silvadene and eye lubricating drops.

Let me just correct you breifly. I am not a Pediatrician, I am an Orthopedist who is doing a Fellowship in Pediatric Orthopedics. Please don't take it wrong. I just want to make sure people in this area know that I might not be able to answer some medical questions about their children.

It is so true that traveling with children you bring along so much more things than when you travel by yourself. You get to feel what your parents feel when they did it for your. There is so much you can do to protect your children and care for your children. However, they will always be there for you hopefully.

For what DD has been through she is such a great child. I have had her from around February and she has made so many great strides I am extremely proud of her. Other than a conference that I took her to, this is going to be our first father daughter bonding trip. As you can tell I can't wait.

After this last cruise where my son burned his feet on the hot decking and daughter ended up with eye irritation from the pools, I now bring silvadene and eye lubricating drops.

LOL! :) Isn't funny how one thing makes you bring a certain item every trip? For a while I took my antibiotic eye drops with me! I had the worst corneal abrasion on vacation once and wouldn't leave for a trip w/o my drops! (They are now expired and in the trash.)

First I must say bless your heart. My mother was adopted within the family, and my sister has two she picked up along the way. But we just call them family. That is what it is.

You might want to bring a lite jacket it can get cold inside the ship. Just remember to relax and enjoy your time together. You are now building a future. Past is gone, forward is the only way.

First I must say bless your heart. My mother was adopted within the family, and my sister has two she picked up along the way. But we just call them family. That is what it is.

You might want to bring a lite jacket it can get cold inside the ship. Just remember to relax and enjoy your time together. You are now building a future. Past is gone, forward is the only way.

Our one we picked up along the way is now 27 and has been regarded as part of the family since just a child he has also been adopted by the extended family and is part and parcel of us all doesnt matter how they got there just that people care about them and they care about you.

Congratulations on fatherhood. Being a parent is the job there is! I am a single mom by choice, adopted my daughter from China 11 years ago. This is only our second "big" vacation and her first cruise. I'm a pediatric nurse practitioner as well and my medical kit goes on every trip with us. If you can get ahold of samples of antibiotic eye drops and ear drops you'll be able to treat pink eye or a swimmer's ear.

Because my daughter and I don't resemble each other, I will be bringing our adoption decree along with our passports so there's no confusion as to who she belongs to. Not sure if that applies to you or not, just something to consider.

Have a wonderful cruise with your DD. Only 11 more days til my DD and I set sail! Can't wait!

Archived