Choice Air Through Celebrity Questions

NSBFloridaRetiree

We are sailing on the Equinox transatlantic next May. We'll be staying for three days post cruise in Rome.

We'll need flights to FLL from Atlanta and flights home from Rome.

When will we be able to book on choiceair.com? Our current status is "ineligible" and I am assuming it is too early to book.

One of the reasons we chose Choice Air is that the price was very reasonable compared to flying back one way from Rome.

I'm interested in knowing when we'd be able to book and your experiences using Choice Air versus booking yourself in a transatlantic cruise situation such as this.

Thanks for all responses.

We are sailing on the Equinox transatlantic next May. We'll be staying for three days post cruise in Rome.

We'll need flights to FLL from Atlanta and flights home from Rome.

When will we be able to book on choiceair.com? Our current status is "ineligible" and I am assuming it is too early to book.

One of the reasons we chose Choice Air is that the price was very reasonable compared to flying back one way from Rome.

I'm interested in knowing when we'd be able to book and your experiences using Choice Air versus booking yourself in a transatlantic cruise situation such as this.

Thanks for all responses.

We had a similar status with RCI. Has nothing to do with the timing, you should be able to book flights 330 days (or so) out.

We had some kind of coding on our reservation due to the application of FCC's. They had to temporarily take this code off our res to allow us to look at and book flights using Choice Air.

You didn't say whether you are using a TA or not?? That could make a difference also. Would probably have to go through your TA then. If not using a TA, then call Choice Air. They would be the ones to help you and answer your questions.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

We had a similar status with RCI. Has nothing to do with the timing, you should be able to book flights 330 days (or so) out.

We had some kind of coding on our reservation due to the application of FCC's. They had to temporarily take this code off our res to allow us to look at and book flights using Choice Air.

You didn't say whether you are using a TA or not?? That could make a difference also. Would probably have to go through your TA then. If not using a TA, then call Choice Air. They would be the ones to help you and answer your questions.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Thanks! Now I know what to do. I did book through a TA and will talk to her.

Thanks! Now I know what to do. I did book through a TA and will talk to her.

Just curious why you bothered to ask about Choice Air when it appears you have already made up your mind to use Choice Air.

Be aware that with the Choice Air restricted tickets, you are getting 1/2 of a consolidator class ticket based on a return fare price (plus a premium for the one way). The cruise line buys RT tickets and sells 1/2 to you and 1/2 to another passenger. The airline is GUARANTEED a RT sale, the cruise line makes a profit not only selling the heavily restricted tickets BUT tacks on a premium for your 1/2 of the RT ticket (and a premium for the other passenger using the other 1/2 of the ticket). This is ABSOLUTELY no different than booking the previous cruise air/custom air EXCEPT you get to do the work, not the cruise line.

There are reasonable priced one way tickets out of Rome (Aer Lingus, Iceland Air, LOT, others if you do some research). Getting from ATL to FLL is very, very easy on a variety of carriers. May even save yourself some money booking an open jaw for the internal USA flights (ATL/FLL, then international gateway to ATL) and book the one way TATL flight separately. Why you would subject yourself to a ticket where you can't even read all the fare rules and which may leave you stranded someplace is beyond me unless you are particularly airline saavy and know how to overcome the glitches. You already posted that you purchased a RT ticket out of Europe before and threw away 1/2. You know you have options.

Just curious why you bothered to ask about Choice Air when it appears you have already made up your mind to use Choice Air.

Be aware that with the Choice Air restricted tickets, you are getting 1/2 of a consolidator class ticket based on a return fare price (plus a premium for the one way). The cruise line buys RT tickets and sells 1/2 to you and 1/2 to another passenger. The airline is GUARANTEED a RT sale, the cruise line makes a profit not only selling the heavily restricted tickets BUT tacks on a premium for your 1/2 of the RT ticket (and a premium for the other passenger using the other 1/2 of the ticket). This is ABSOLUTELY no different than booking the previous cruise air/custom air EXCEPT you get to do the work, not the cruise line.

There are reasonable priced one way tickets out of Rome (Aer Lingus, Iceland Air, LOT, others if you do some research). Getting from ATL to FLL is very, very easy on a variety of carriers. May even save yourself some money booking an open jaw for the internal USA flights (ATL/FLL, then international gateway to ATL) and book the one way TATL flight separately. Why you would subject yourself to a ticket where you can't even read all the fare rules and which may leave you stranded someplace is beyond me unless you are particularly airline saavy and know how to overcome the glitches. You already posted that you purchased a RT ticket out of Europe before and threw away 1/2. You know you have options.

I've not made up my mind yet. My daughter booked our cruise and said that she has never had a complaint about Choice Air. Yet, CC members are negative about it. I want to see both sides and then pick what works for us. I'll pick the option based on schedule, price and least risk.

Yet, CC members are negative about it. I want to see both sides and then pick what works for us.

For good reason

I'll pick the option based on schedule, price and least risk.

You should rearrange your priority list-RISK should be at the top of the list, then schedule and price in your preference order. Just ask the 4-500 people who were simply STUCK wherever they were with their consolidator cruise line tickets for the March 2 Star Princess "earthquake" cruise. At least that many DID NOT make the cruise due to the fare class tickets sold by the cruise line are written in. Tickets COULD NOT be rerouted without substantial cash inputs.

And all those people stuck all over Europe during the "volcano" crisis-those with consolidator tickets were simply STUCK where they were. AA offered most passengers stuck in Europe the option to get to one of the few airports NOT closed in Europe (with Rome being the normal gateway), then flying Royal Jordanian or another AA partner through North Africa/Middle East to get home. That option was NOT offered to those with consolidator class tickets (which is what you get with Choice Air restricted tickets).

I can easily see tickets for your dates (May 1-19) under $1000pp using a combination of airlines from ATL to FLL, then return to ATL from FCO. Some as low as $820 if you are willing to take a 17 hour layover in Warsaw Poland.

For good reason

You should rearrange your priority list-RISK should be at the top of the list, then schedule and price in your preference order. Just ask the 4-500 people who were simply STUCK wherever they were with their consolidator cruise line tickets for the March 2 Star Princess "earthquake" cruise. At least that many DID NOT make the cruise due to the fare class tickets sold by the cruise line are written in. Tickets COULD NOT be rerouted without substantial cash inputs.

And all those people stuck all over Europe during the "volcano" crisis-those with consolidator tickets were simply STUCK where they were. AA offered most passengers stuck in Europe the option to get to one of the few airports NOT closed in Europe (with Rome being the normal gateway), then flying Royal Jordanian or another AA partner through North Africa/Middle East to get home. That option was NOT offered to those with consolidator class tickets (which is what you get with Choice Air restricted tickets).

I can easily see tickets for your dates (May 1-19) under $1000pp using a combination of airlines from ATL to FLL, then return to ATL from FCO. Some as low as $820 if you are willing to take a 17 hour layover in Warsaw Poland.

I see your points and will be shopping for air.

Archived