For those that have driven to Peggy's Cove

Naps

or if you have plans to. Arriving next week on Carnival Glory. We rented a car to go to Peggy's Cove, not sure where to go besides the Cove. Can someone share with me their travel route to and from Peggys Cove, and where you plan to stop along the way. I can't seem to come up with a plan.

Thank you!

If you go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1253929 you may get some of the info you're looking for. On post #24 I gave a review, with a link to the route layed out on a google map, of our day trip from Halifax to Peggy's Cove then on to Mahone Bay & Lunenburg. Others have also given some other ideas.

I just returned from my cruise and rented a car with Budget for Peggys Cove. We arrived in port late at 10am and all aboard was for 6:30pm. Budget couldn't pick us up and we had to walk there. By the time we walked and rented we weren't on the road till 11 arriving in Peggy's cove a little before noon. We walked around, had lunch at So'westerner (the only restaurant there which was pretty bad, go to the ?tea & thistle down the road a little further) and then headed out a few hours later. We then went to the Titanic cemetery, drove back into Halifax, dropped off the car and went to the Maritime Museum. My original plan was to try to drive more around the coast towards Mahone Bay and Lunenberg, but knew we didn't have the time. Port days seem to fly by too fast and "ship" happens:D

We also got a late start. After spending some time at Peggy's Cove, we turned left when we reached the main road (333) and went to the memorial for Swissair flight 111, maybe three miles down the road. I used to do a lot of transatlantic flights for business and wanted to pay my respects to my fellow passengers who didn't make it. Even if you don't have that motivation, the view from the memorial to the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove is quite nice. We then continued on to Mahone Bay staying on the slower Highway 3, had lunch in a pub and looked around. We then went back to Halifax on 103, which is a limited-access expressway, not very interesting but faster than 3, and we were concerned about having time to check in the rental car (we used Enterprise at Scotia Square) and getting the shuttle back to the ship.

I did the tour to Peggy's cove and I have to tell you the scenery is nice but Peggys' cove is just that. A light house and a tourist trap. I would not go out of my way to see it.

Yes, it was touristy, but from a photography standpoint, I took the best pictures of my entire trip.

You do not need anyone to take you around. We are talking about a very tiny place. A ten minute walk will cover it. There are several artist and artisans studios. Mind you I have not been there in summer for many years so my info is out of date!

I understand Peggy's Cove is somewhat an artist colony, as well. I wonder if some tour leaders take you around the town and there are galleries or even studios the public can look in on. Anyone? Thanks

I was there last week. If you take a tour there, you will have someone walking around explaining things to you. DH & I drove out there on our own and I don't think we missed anything by not being on a tour.

I don't know that I'd call it an "artist colony". I THINK I saw 2 or 3 "studios" but that's about it. It's more of a teeny tiny fishing "village" with a lighthouse out on the rocks. I got some great pictures, glad we went, but wouldn't go back if we ever found outselves in Halifax again.

• 3 weeks later...
We also got a late start. After spending some time at Peggy's Cove, we turned left when we reached the main road (333) and went to the memorial for Swissair flight 111, maybe three miles down the road. I used to do a lot of transatlantic flights for business and wanted to pay my respects to my fellow passengers who didn't make it. Even if you don't have that motivation, the view from the memorial to the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove is quite nice. We then continued on to Mahone Bay staying on the slower Highway 3, had lunch in a pub and looked around. We then went back to Halifax on 103, which is a limited-access expressway, not very interesting but faster than 3, and we were concerned about having time to check in the rental car (we used Enterprise at Scotia Square) and getting the shuttle back to the ship.

I have been looking at the Enterprise at Scotia Square to rent a car for our upcoming stop there. How far is it from the ship? Did you walk the distance or take the shuttle you mentioned? Is it an Enterprise shuttle or a ship shuttle? Sorry for all the questions but all the information I gather will help in our decision making process.

Thanks,

Donna

I have been looking at the Enterprise at Scotia Square to rent a car for our upcoming stop there. How far is it from the ship? Did you walk the distance or take the shuttle you mentioned? Is it an Enterprise shuttle or a ship shuttle? Sorry for all the questions but all the information I gather will help in our decision making process.

Thanks,

Donna

You call Enterprise as you are leaving the ship and they will pick you up. It is 5-10 minutes driving. Have you checked with National or Alamo at the VIA rail location, 1161 Hollis St? This is across the street from the pier so you would not have to wait for Enterprise to come and the travel time back to their office, then the travel time back to where you started.

You call Enterprise as you are leaving the ship and they will pick you up. It is 5-10 minutes driving. Have you checked with National or Alamo at the VIA rail location, 1161 Hollis St? This is across the street from the pier so you would not have to wait for Enterprise to come and the travel time back to their office, then the travel time back to where you started.

Thank you pizzalady1. We have booked with National. It is a little more than the price I was seeing for Enterprise but we decided it would be worth it to save the travel time.

Thank you pizzalady1. We have booked with National. It is a little more than the price I was seeing for Enterprise but we decided it would be worth it to save the travel time.

FWIW--I found that after joining National's Emerald Club, the price went down 15%.

Archived