Transatlantic Experiences?

John73

I am doing my first TA on the Eclipse Oct. 31st this year. I always enjoy the ship and we in the Aqua Class so I have plenty of time in the spa if I choose. Leaving out of Southampton and I only wish I had the extra time to spend in London. Everything is complete and we also did our air with Celebrity on Virgin......excellent price was a bit shocked at the price. I know this may be my first of many TA.

Dorene

You might want to check with consolidators for the one way airfare. We did this on our last transatlantic though Best Travel Store. Got a non-stop from Phoenix to Heathrow for under $500pp including taxes and fees. A fellow Cruise Critic member was able to get Detroit to Heathrow for around $350. We had our seat assignment about an hour after booking with Best Travel Store (after the airline got the reservation and the money credited). The only downside is that you cannot upgrade or use points. We had no problems at all.

You might want to check with consolidators for the one way airfare. We did this on our last transatlantic though Best Travel Store. Got a non-stop from Phoenix to Heathrow for under $500pp including taxes and fees. A fellow Cruise Critic member was able to get Detroit to Heathrow for around $350. We had our seat assignment about an hour after booking with Best Travel Store (after the airline got the reservation and the money credited). The only downside is that you cannot upgrade or use points. We had no problems at all.

We used choice air on Celebrity $266 from JFK to Heathrow direct flight......we are very pleased.

how are the seas ... has anyone hit a storm ??

would love to do one but am terrified ...

of course ... I'm terrified of long flights so not sure how I would get home either.....

They do try to avoid storms. One of transatlantics was several hours late arriving in Fort Lauderdale. That was the year that they ran out of names for tropical storms/hurricanes and started using the Greek alphabet. The captain said that we were going slow crossing because he was keeping us in between Delta and Epsilon. We did have calm seas for the crossing.

We have done four transatlantics (it is our favorite cruise) - all of them westbound from Europe. We like that because all your heavy touring is done at the beginning of the trip (precruise stays and sightseeing in Europe) and then you have all those wonderful sea days to rest up. It is one vacation where you come back totally relaxed and rested.

You also have plenty of time to enjoy the ship's amenities since there are all those sea days.

For a transatlantic, the ship is your vacation destination - any ports are just extras.

About luggage on the airlines overseas. The "box" in their airports are smaller than the boxes over here for carry-on. They are enclosed on all sides (other than the top) and wheels, handles, and all have to fit in.

The bad news is we had to check our carry-on at the last minute because it didn't fit even though the dimensions were within what they have on their web-site including the wheels. The good news is, they didn't charge us. I was a little nervous about turning loose of the suitcase as it had our formal clothes as well as a couple of changes of clothes in it, make-up, and other things I didn't want lost/stolen/delayed.

Funny thing is that our traveling companions who are from England also got nailed and she said they have used those suitcases numerous times as carry-ons going back and forth. Maybe the lady at the gate was having a bad hair day. However, on another time through the airport, they stopped me to make sure the bag would fit in their box. We knew it would because a) it was smaller and b) we'd already tried it at another place in the airport.

Tucker in Texas

how are the seas ... has anyone hit a storm ??

would love to do one but am terrified ...

of course ... I'm terrified of long flights so not sure how I would get home either.....

There is no way of getting around long flights............but look what you get once your there!

We love TA's have done several (HAVE TWO PLANNED) and never had a storm, a rough night or two not bad. We did the Baltic and then TA into Boston, northern route was really cool this was in Late September, early October. We will be doing our first eastern TA next May.

Go, enjoy life!

We used choice air on Celebrity $266 from JFK to Heathrow direct flight......we are very pleased.

That's a really good price!

You really want to compare because the prices do vary. Phoenix is a lot farther away (5 hours to/from Newark/JFK) so the price will be higher, of course. Those are the times I wish we still lived on the east coast for the much shorter/cheaper flight across the pond!

We are sold on TA's as well. We did Constellation this year and it was a northern route. We encountered only 2 days that were a bit rough for some but didn't bother us at all. The temperature was not conducive to sitting out on the balcony unless you were well wrapped up. We also found the 6 23 hour days a bit onerous, so we have opted for the westbound TA next time.

tell me about onerous...am taking a transatlantic from portugal to Ft. Lauderdale first of november. Wondering if I'll be bored since it seems being outside during these 7 days may not be very much fun.

We did a westbound TA in 2008.....If you click on sweetseas reviews at the bottom of this post and then the one for The Constellation westbound transatlantic you can read about our cruise.

We loved it and are booked on RCCL Jewels westbound TA for 2011.

Debbie

Archived