Transatlantic Experiences?

John73

Hi All,

With my newfound enjoyment of cruising, I'm thinking about doing a Transatlantic cruise next year. I'm looking at the Solstice May 1st due to its itinerary and being 1 less night that the Equinox sailing.

Anyways, my question is to those who have done a Transatlantic. Are the demographics much different for those compared to a 7 night Caribbean cruise? On my recent Solstice Caribbean cruise I had some great tablemates in their 30s and 40s and really enjoyed making new friends. Am I looking at the same for the Transatlantic sailings or would those skew a bit older?

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Longer cruises tend to have an older average age as it is easier for retirees to swing a long cruise than for someone who has work obligations. That said, there are some younger cruisers on the TA's - just not nearly as many as you would typically see on a seven nigher.

One more question - If I want to enjoy sun on my balcony, is the Port or Starboard side the better one to pick?

I notice that 1124 & 1249(angled hump cabins) are available in the C2 for $100 more than a C3 cabin non-hump. Are the balconies that much bigger on the hump cabins?

One more question - If I want to enjoy sun on my balcony, is the Port or Starboard side the better one to pick?

I notice that 1124 & 1249(angled hump cabins) are available in the C2 for $100 more than a C3 cabin non-hump. Are the balconies that much bigger on the hump cabins?

My understanding is that on a westbound crossing you get more afternoon sun on the port; visa versa for an eastbound trip.

That's right. On our eastbound transatlantic we were starboard and every day, with the changing of the clocks and losing an hour, we got an hour more of sunlight on our balcony. That was the plus of losing hours.

Westbound you want to be port side.

Fern

Yes, the demographic is older, and there are few children on board. But those days at sea, the extra activities, the time to get to know the ship, and fellow passengers, is wonderful. We did the Summit TA last year and it was, hands down, one of my best vacations ever. I agree with the poster about going westbound though. I hope to try that...by day 4 of losing a hour of sleep each night I was needing to have naps during the day...well that and the wine at lunch...

This is a list of the largest balconies on S class. The ones in between not listed are the second largest.

Here's a list of "good" cabin numbers that have larger balconies, most of them on the hump.

This is from another cruiser:

There are 58 +/- cabins with the same size balcony we had - they are:

Resort Deck: 2105, 2109, 2106, 2110

Penthouse Deck: 1547, 1552, 1601, 1605, 1606, 1610

Sky Deck: 1075, 1044, 1231, 1243, 1247, 1108, 1120, 1124

Panorama Deck: 9155, 9192, 9209, 9215, 9237, 9241, 9266, 9270, 9292, 9296

Vista Deck: 8199, 8162, 8255, 8259, 8281, 8285, 8228, 8232, 8254, 8258

Sunrise Deck: 7159, 7206, 7215, 7219, 7241, 7245, 7260, 7264, 7286, 7290

Continental Deck: 6155, 6156, 6209, 6215, 6237, 6241, 6210, 6214, 6236, 6240

You want to be on the Starboard side of the ship and yes, definitely grab an angled balcony--a rear facing one, if possible. Those block the wind and make it much more pleasant for sitting outside, especially in the early spring. Of the 2 balconies you mentioned, 1124 would be the better one for a spring transatlantic cruise.

Garry

My hubby and are now 29 and 32 and did the Solstice TA crossing last year. It was FABULOUS. We were probably some of the youngest people on the boat (other than the very few children), but met lots of wonderfully nice people of all ages. People say this is an "older" crowd, but it was NOTHING like my Pacific NW "Wine" cruise last year. THAT had to be the Alaska crowd. lol

We had a port side (8219?), was a great cabin, plenty of balcony room (no bigger than anywhere else, likely) but it was chilly out in the open water (50s) while crossing until we got to the Mediterranean, so we didn't spend a ton of time out there.

Be happy to answer any other questions. Wish I were you! Loved the experience.

We did the Eastbound TA on the Constellation last year. It was an enjoyable cruise with two minor issues. The loss of an hour almost every day at sea, and the loss of CNN for three days. If you are a news junkie you should be aware that there is no satellite reception in the middle of the Atlantic. Next year we are booked on the Westbound TA on the new Silhouette. On that cruise we will gain an hour each day at sea. Hoorah.

how are the seas ... has anyone hit a storm ??

would love to do one but am terrified ...

of course ... I'm terrified of long flights so not sure how I would get home either.....

We have never hit a storm on our crossings. We have had high seas (25ft plus) but we have also had flat seas. You just never know. There are no guarantees. Better to take a southerly crossing, though, than a northern one. Our adult daughter came with us on the Constellation TA in 2007 and while the seas weren't what I would consider "rough," they were definitely rolling. It was a northerly crossing (we hadn't given the route too much thought). She was quite sick and we were not able to get her on another ship until last May in the Baltic, which thankfully was the calmest we have ever had. She would not do another transatlantic however even if they paid her! Yes, those long flights are just awful and I hate them. But, I am resigned to them if I want to see the world and we love transatlantics. They are really a good value for the money and you get to stop at ports you would never see, such as the Azores, Canary Islands, and the most beautiful place of all, Madeira (Funchal). They are really worth it and so relaxing. I hope you consider one.

how are the seas ... has anyone hit a storm ??

would love to do one but am terrified ...

of course ... I'm terrified of long flights so not sure how I would get home either.....

Remember hurricane season in 2005? I live on the Texas Gulf coast and we were hit by Hurricane Rita in August. My boss wanted me to cancel my WB transatlantic in October, and said he would reimburse me for canceling; that is until I gave him the figure.... So I went.

Rome to Galveston. Somewhere in the Atlantic we encountered the remnants of Hurricane Wilma (remember her?). It was a little rough, but there was NO violent wave action. No one was thrown out of bed onto the floor; nothing was broken. Being midship, it felt like a gentle rocking.

You should not be afraid of a transatlantic crossing. I would suggest a westbound, as you get an extra hour on 5 of the nights.

We are sold on TA's as well. We did Constellation this year and it was a northern route. We encountered only 2 days that were a bit rough for some but didn't bother us at all. The temperature was not conducive to sitting out on the balcony unless you were well wrapped up. We also found the 6 23 hour days a bit onerous, so we have opted for the westbound TA next time.

The longer the cruise the older the client based is so no it won't be like a 7 day Caribbean Cruise. Younger working folks simply don't have the time for the longer voyage. I'm sure there will be some younger people and you won't find many families with kids. If you like leisurely sea days and you want a great price on a longer cruise it's a great deal; however, you need to factor in two one way point to point air flights which can be pricey. Many times the cruise lines will offer fairly reasonably airfare on the TA. You should do a price comparison between the cruise line vs booking it independently.

We did this cruise a year and a half ago and decided it was one of our best cruise experiences. We booked an inside cabin three weeks before departure and we were upgraded to a balcony to start, and we got to explore every nook and cranny of this wonderful ship. The six days at sea were great for unwinding from the hectic pace at home. You get to meet a lot of people on the ship, if you wish to do things together. My feelings are that if you are going to do a transatlantic the ship is more critical to your experience than a 7 day cruise since you are at sea so many days. The Solstice entertainment and dining made this a cruise of a lifetime. We never experienced any rough seas, and the six ports we visited were greatly enjoyed after resting at sea during the crossing. I would book the cruise and figure out your best air options for getting home. If you have time, spend a couple of days in Rome before you fly home.

We were on the Jewel of the Seas transatlantic last May and it was wonderful. We had 9--yes 9 sea days. :D :D :D We had such a great time and I loved the way our captain pushed the clock forward. Instead of having to do it when we went to bed, we changed it at noon. It was hardly noticeable except that I had to take a shorter nap.:) We had rain and lovely days during the crossing but no major storms. Whichever direction you travel, transatlantic cruises are very special!!!

Garry

We took an eastbound transatlantic cruise last year and loved every day! We even enjoyed losing an hour each day, over several days, because it made the time adjustment in Europe easier to handle. Also, we met some very interesting people--I'd say fascinating. It made me wonder whether transatlantics attract a different clientele.

Thanks all for the information. I've put a deposit on the May 1st Eastbound TA on the Solstice. I was able to redeem miles on American for the return flight so it worked out great. Next month when I'm on Solstice for an W. Caribbean cruise I'll see if the fares are the same and do an onboard Passages bookign for the extra OBC. But, even if that doesn't work out, I feel like I got a good deal on everything.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I've had my eye on this sailing for a few days now so I've enjoyed reading all the input here :)

DH and I did a 15-day LA-Hawaii-LA a couple of years ago and LOVED it. It was all the sea days which made it such a remarkable vacation. Since then, a TA has been on my radar! This particular FLL - Barcelona voyage caught my eye as they are ports we haven't been to.

Having never cruised Celebrity, I did quite a bit of homework here on CC as well as other sources before deciding on the Solstice. Seems this would be wonderful.

Thanks again to OP as well as everyone else who has contributed :)

The longer the cruise the older the client based is so no it won't be like a 7 day Caribbean Cruise. Younger working folks simply don't have the time for the longer voyage. I'm sure there will be some younger people and you won't find many families with kids. If you like leisurely sea days and you want a great price on a longer cruise it's a great deal; however, you need to factor in two one way point to point air flights which can be pricey. Many times the cruise lines will offer fairly reasonably airfare on the TA. You should do a price comparison between the cruise line vs booking it independently.
This is excellent advice on airfare. We are doing the TA on the Connie and I could get nowhere near the airfare we were able to get with X. They even let us deviate on our travel dates on both outward and return flights at no extra cost. Our only problem is that they are BA flights and with the strikes being a possibility it may be tricky. However, as the flights are part of the package, X would presumably switch us to another airline.

Archived