Another pesky passport question

bonniemari

I have had a passport for almost ten years. I say had cause I just mailed it off 3 days ago to get it renewed. Wasn't planning on cruising again til November. Wouldn't you know it, I found a great deal on a short cruise at the end of August and I really want to spend my birthday cruising. However, I know my new passport will not be back by then.

Since I have (had) a passport I have not kept up with the times. Can you still cruise with a valid birth certificate and photo i.d (Drivers License)? I am a US Citizen and the cruise leaves and comes back to Miami with stops in Bahamas and NCL private island.

I guess this goes to show I should pay more attention to things-especially when it comes to my love of travel.

You will not need a passport since you are going on a closed loop cruise.

As noted below, always good to check with the cruise line.

Be aware that if you had to fly back to the USA due to some kind of emergency you could not do so.

The definition of a closed loop cruise follows.

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Keith

Bonnie, you have to expedite them when you mail them not after the fact.

Keith

This is not correct. There is a window of time that one can still expedite their passport after it's been received at the Passport Agent. The individual has to call the 800# listed on www.travel.state.gov., explain their reasons for attempting to expedite it and if it's still in the window of time that it can be expedited the agent will ask for your credit card or debit card number for the expedited fee.

At the present time it's taking up to 6 weeks for unexpedited passports.

1. Because of the high demand recieved right before the rates increased 7/13/10 and 2. because summer is peak season for passport filing.

The passport agency has had mine for 5 weeks now. Called them this morning was told it's past the point of expediting but that I could change mine to be mailed overnight instead of regular mail as my application stated for a fee. This way when it is completed it won't be further delayed going through standard mail.

Thanks for all the info. I did make a copy of our passports before i mailed them off. If i decide to take the cruise I will take that with me. Hoepfully there will be no emergencies while i am gone but if there is I'm hoping my BC, DL and passport copy would help to get me home.

Archived