Purse? Tote?

USAF&wife

Trying to decided what I might need to take for our first cruise (Progreso & Cozumel)

I can't think of a reason I would need a purse on board. My problem is what to use to take stuff on the excursions. We are going to ruins in Progreso and snorkeling in Cozumel. I need to take the normal stuff - ID, money, camera, sunscreen, water, etc. But I don't want to have to haul around a purse/tote that will be in my way or get stolen.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tamara

On the ship I do use a small purse...I need my comb, lipstick, tissues, etc.....it can be too far to run back to the cabin for "touch ups". Something small.

Ashore, depending on what we're doing, I'll take a med. size tote for the beach...ample room for sunscreen, book, etc....

If we're just wandering and shopping, then I don't need a tote...I'll take my normal purse that my wallet will fit into...

I only take the stuff I'll need ashore for the activity I'm doing. Don't bring anything TOO big, or you'll end up carrying everyone's stuff....you're not a pack mule!

I also take a small purse for evenings~ and a large tote bag for excursions~ I just picked up a really cute one at Walmart for $3~! It's black white and gray and it's made of some sort of plastic material that will be easy to clean~ they had tons of other colors~ I'll take a pic and post it later~~

also if you are bringing the Carnival towels you will need a large bag as those babies are HUGE!!

I carry a Vera Bradley purse that has a long strap that goes diagonally over my shoulder. It's large enough that I can carry a paper back book in the interior along with my wallet and id's, camera, bottle of water. But it leaves my hands free when I'm shopping and such.

Whatever you bring, make sure you do your best to NOT stick out like a sore thumb as a stupid tourist. I know cruise ports are FULL of tourists, but do what you can to stay safe and keep your belongings close to you. Backpacks are good if they're small, like the sinch-close kind - you can feel if anyone is touching your stuff behind you. Also, a long strapped purse that goes around your torso is good, harder to snatch. For me, I either carry a small backpack or my lovely Vera Bradley bag across my torso. Happy cruising and exploring!

S

I take a tote with map, guidebooks, water bottle, and whatever is needed given the port My husband carries the camera in a front pocket or if it is cool, a vest with lots of pockets. I don't carry a purse onboard. I just wear the ship card on a lanyard and when I don't have pockets, freshen makeup when I go back to the cabin.

i carry a shoulder day pack that can be worn cross-body style i dont like backpacks cos i cant see what is going on behind..i always have my hand on my bag...if we need towels or such i take a tote too

on the ship i have a casual bag and a dress evening bag

i also have a little small purse for around the ship for my incidentals...everyone has to find what works best for them!

On the ship I carry a small purse that goes across my torso to fit my S&S card, lipstick and event schedule.

While on shore I don't like a purse or a backpack (had someone pick-pocket me while wearing one. They were VERY sly). Instead I use a fanny pack that I LOVE! It's not too big but it can fit a 500 mL bottle of water, a book, wallet, camera and few extra small stuff. It goes with me on every cruise and every vacation (except the time that I got pick-pocketed!)

My husband wears a belt bag [ie fanny pak] for our credit card, sign & sail cards, camera, etc. I carry a tote for sunscreen, towels if needed, water. He wears the belt bag snug, with the compartments in the front, not the back. If a thief wants to snatch my tote bag, he won't be getting much.

On board, wristlet that has room for key card, camera, inhaler, etc.

For excursions I have a pac safe handbag I can wear across my torso if I want to. It's a great bag for staying organized & I use it at home sometimes if I need to have a bigger bag to carry documents in. There are hooks to keep the zippers from being opened easily too.

sorry about the size, I don't know how to fix it..lol

But, when my 2 sisters and I went on our last cruise, celebrating my folks 60th anniversary, I bought these for the ladies, in their favorite colors. Mine is the large one, the others are large enough for a book, bottle of water, and a few necessaries. Zippered tops are a must.. llbean003.jpg

I have a mini JanSport backpack in black. It is shaped like a backpack and has the long handles and short loop handle on top. In front pocket goes phone, single key to house on key ring, kleenex pack note pad and pens. The larger portion has extra small wallet, travel guide, bottle of water, camera, nail file, and makeup pouch with medication, bug cream, sun lotion etc in smallest sizes possible. This backpack is like a small/medium purse but carrys a ton of stuff.

When in a crowd I slip it under my arm on one strap or I wear it like a baby carrier with the pockets forward. I have washed it hundreds of times and just throw it in the machine with the dark load even midtrip as the purse sits in some ugly places:eek:

I also carry a small zippered tote bag from LeSport that has a matching set of purses. These go into a rolling tote bag by SportsPlus that is my carry on for the airlines.

Archived