Definitive Poutine in Quebec City

We'll be doing a New England/Canada cruise in a few weeks. I grew up in New England, so the whole Boston/Bar Harbor circuit is a bit old hat to me. However, the indigenous cuisine of French Canada is newer and more interesting. So where in Quebec City will I find the definitive serving of poutine?

Or in Halifax, if that's where it must be...

You absolutely must have you poutine in Quebec as this is a French Canadian delicacy. Ok, delicacy may be severely overstating this dish but it originated here in Quebec. I will be in QC next week for 4 days for a family wedding and I will be staying in Old Quebec so I will scout the area and hopefully come up with some place good. If you can't find it in an independently owned restaurant, just look for La Belle Province or Lafleur's. These are chain restaurants here that specialize in steamy hot dogs and greasy fries, Quebec style.

We had a poutine last fall in QC before we got on the Eurodam for our Canada New England cruise. There was a really long flight of stairs in the center of the old part of town and the place we ate at was right near the top of those stairs, was very good! I am sure you'll see the place I mean when you get there.

During our visit to Quebec a few years ago, we stopped along the highway at a farming community for lunch, while driving between Montreal and Quebec. We tried the poutine special. While edible in a theoretical sense, I certainly hoped that we had not found the gastronomic apex of the province.

Fortunately, all of the remaining meals that we had over the following week were wonderful. We had great breakfasts at the B&Bs on Isle d'Orleans, an incredible dinner at a restaurant on that island, and very much enjoyed the food and people of Quebec.

• 2 weeks later...
Try a Donair in Halifax :)

Yes!! A Halifax Donair is a must.

Another Nova Scotia (Halifax) must have, is some "Brothers Pepperoni". It is pizza pepperoni, but it is sooo good. I live in Ontario, and we get it shipped to us since we cannot get it here. Many of the pubs and bars in Halifax will do "Deep Fried Brothers Peperoni" I know it sounds bad, but it is one of those things you have to try.

I agree... in Quebec City, it's Ashton for poutine... or dulton or galvaude.

It is NOT supposed to be cheese, it is cheese curds. Usually cheddar (sometimes gouda). The curds should be fresh. They sometimes call it fromage kwikwi in Quebec, because it is the sound it makes in your head when you eat it and it's very fresh.

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be doing a New England/Canada cruise in a few weeks. I grew up in New England, so the whole Boston/Bar Harbor circuit is a bit old hat to me. However, the indigenous cuisine of French Canada is newer and more interesting. So where in Quebec City will I find the definitive serving of poutine?

Or in Halifax, if that's where it must be...

I'm from Quebec City. You have to go to Ashton. They invented the Poutine. They have 25 restaurants around the city. Here's their website: http://www.chez-ashton.com/index1.php

You're bringing back memories of skiing years ago at Mont Tremblant and having

poutine as a snack apres-ski. We don't get cheese curds in Florida, so I really enjoyed

them. Hope I find them in Quebec City.

Of course you will find it. The Poutine has its origins in Quebec City.

Of course you will find it. The Poutine has its origins in Quebec City.

Sorry, but NO!

Poutine has it's origins in rural Quebec. The most famous story is that it was invented in Warwick, near Victoriaville from a restaurant called Le Lutin qui rit. Another claims that it is from Le Roy Jucep near Drummondville. Another is the restaurant La Petite Vache in Princeville.

Frankly, it likely has it's origins in the "cantine" culture of rural Quebec. It is certainly not gourmet food.

No one can really prove that they were the originals. Of course there are things that suggest some origins over others, in particular the availability of fresh cheese curds. The two most notable regions for this would be Saguenay and Centre-du-Quebec near Drummondville.

Calm down :)

It's only French Fries, cheese and sauce. No need for a debate :)

I am calm, but if you don't know the history, don't give people wrong information. And it's not just "French fries, cheese and sauce", around here.

Thanks for posting the link for Ashtons. Never had poutine and looking forward to trying it. Is that pieces of hot dog in one of the poutine photos? The Ashton hot dogs and burgers look good too. Is there an Ashtons near the Chateau Frontenac? Planning several nice meals at Le Continental, Saint Amour, but Ashtons may be good for a quick lunch.

Thanks for posting the link for Ashtons. Never had poutine and looking forward to trying it. Is that pieces of hot dog in one of the poutine photos? The Ashton hot dogs and burgers look good too. Is there an Ashtons near the Chateau Frontenac? Planning several nice meals at Le Continental, Saint Amour, but Ashtons may be good for a quick lunch.

There is no Ashton near the Château Frontenac but you can walk to one of these two places:

54, Côte du Palais

G1R 4H8

640, Grande-Allée Est

G1R 2K5

Do a search by postal codes on Google Map with Street View.

The one on Grande-Allée is very close to Parliament Hill. A very nice and popular street with hotels, nice old houses and lots of nightlife. Very safe street.

The one on Côte du Palais is in the Old Quebec and also very safe to walk to. If you've never been to Quebec City before, I suggest that you choose this one since the surrounding streets are a must.

Remember though, Ahston is a fast food. I cannot help you with the menu since I don't eat fast food.

Others say it was started by Patachou, Near Three Rivers area,

many claim they were the first

Its also called a Heart attack on a plate, Lol

greasy cheese, greasy fries and greasy sauce.

its tasty, but not something you want to eat as a staple diet.

poutine can be found in many restaurants in québec city. Even at Mcdonal's. If you want a good one I would suggest Chez Ashton there is one near the train station, one on Grande Allée and one near Saint-Jean Street. Also they serve a more sofisticated version at Chez Victor, wich I think is the best restaurant for hamburgers in Québec. They have vegetarian, lamb, pork, beef burgers and they have very good salads and also they make very good fries and mayo. There is one Victor on Saint-Jean Street near Salaberry street.

Archived