travel insurance ..how long for settlement

ClaudiaF

For all the 50 zillion cruises we have taken and all the monies we have paid to insure our trips....and for the first one I have had to cancel a few days before one/due to hubby becoming ill..how the heck long does it really take to get you money back from travel insurance companies..

thanks for info..

We, unfortunately, had to use our insurance three times . The first was when my father died the day my husband and I were to leave on a cruise. The company - Access America, sent us a form to complete which I returned with a copy of the death certificate. I received a condolence card by return mail and a check about a week later.

The second time, I broke my ankle a few days before a land tour to Italy. I sent in the form, had my doctor fill out another of the companies forms (I used HTH insurance) and the company sent a letter with a form that needed to be filled out by the tour company, which was done via my travel agent- showing what I paid and how much I got back. Once the forms were sent back, it took about ten days for the check.

The last time, was when we were medically evacuated off a cruise ship (in Jamaica) when my father in law had a GI bleed. My in-laws had Access America and my husband and I had TravelInsured. My husband and I had copies of the Ship's doctors report, as well as the admission summary from the hospital. We sent that with our receipts from the hotel in Jamaica where we stayed, airline ticket receipts for flying home, and the invoice for the cruise and received a check covering everything (including 5 days missed on the cruise) in about two weeks. My in-laws money took about two months - they received a check in two weeks for all but the medical expenses, as the medical coverage was secondary and they had to submit the bills to medicare and AARP. The second check came after AARP paid (he had coverage out of the country through them) and it was for the difference between the medical charges and the amount paid by AARP.

All in all, there were no problems from the insurance companies. Of course, these claims were very cut and dried - nothing for an insurance company to contest. I would only forsee a problem if there are questions about pre-existing conditions. If you bought the insurance within the time frame to exclude this, that should not be an issue. I assume your husband went to a doctor or hospital, so there would be paperwork to support the claim. Good luck and speedy recovery.

In March, I had a stroke 2 days prior to sailing and had to cancel. CSA promptly sent all the forms. One was a place for the primary doctor to document the treatment. It was a couple of weeks before I felt up to taking the form to her office, and a couple of more weeks before she had a chance to review it, fill it out and sign it. Once heart I submitted the completed claim, I had a check almost by return mail.

This was also uncontested, as I had purchased the insurance within 24 hours of final payment, meeting the requirements to waive any pre-existing condition. However, since I had never had a stroke or had been diagnosed with any conditions within the look-back period, it would have been uncontested, anyway. I did have an unrelated heart condition, but it had been diagnosed 6 years previously, there had been no treatment, diagnostic testing or prescription changes within the look-back period (180 days), so it would have been uncontested in any case.

I hope your hubby has recovered or will recover as quickly and completely as I have.

Hi Claudia, sorry to hear of your husband's illness and having to canx your upcoming Silversea cruise...sincere wishes for the speediest recovery and here is hoping you both get to enjoy your upcoming Marina cruise.

Claudia,

So sorry to hear about Ron. Please write and tell us he is getting better.

On Monday I plan to sign Barbara and me up for a June 13 Nautica cruise from Rome to Athens, stopping in Egypt, Israel, Syria, Turkey, Cyprus and Greece. I'm not quite sure about what to do at Ephasus, after the great tour you arranged for us with Levant -- in 2008 if memory serves me correctly.

Would really be great if you two decided to take that cruise.

Bill

Hi Bill and Barbara,

Thanks for thoughts..Ron doing better day by day!

That is a great cruise itinerary. We actually recently came back from Eqypt , Israel cruise. It was fabulous!!!

As for your return to Kusadashi perhaps if you shoot off an email to Levant ( the wonderful tour guide we used when we all did Ephesus) he can make some suggestions for you as to what else you might want to do.

Perhaps he can set up a car rental ( we know how much we all like doing that ;-) or another private tour. There is alot more to see than just Epesus there.

Stay in touch and email me if you need anything.

Regards,

Claudia:D

Archived