Amex Platinum Credit and Carnival Stock Credit

Charliesmom

Not any longer. Used to be able to but we have been refused.

You have to pay with your AmEx Platinum card.

Not any longer. We have been told no Am Ex Credit if booking direct with HAL. :(

This thread was started months ago. Sorry to read that you are no longer getting the shipboard credit from AMEX PLat when you book directly with HAL.

Were you given a reason why?

Originally Posted by Cinder Again

My friend (who is a Platinum medal holder with Hal) got on our last cruise, and some computer snafu had taken her from over 800 mariner days, to 102. She visited the front desk, produced the medal as "proof", made an attempt to approximize at least some of her sailings, told them her sailing companions so they could cross reference, and they told her there was nothing she could do, unless she could provide exact dates and ships for all the sailings. It really mattered to her, and she let it ruin her trip, and I even wrote them a note begging them to treat her like the VIP she should have been, what would they lose, except maybe a person lying would get to sit with the Captain for lunch or something? They wouldn't budge, and it took several letters to Mr. Kruse's office upon our return to sort it out later. I wouldn't have cared, so much, but she did. Happily, she just returned from a Christmas cruise, and felt that they treated her like a much returning Mariner should be treated.

I'm sorry to read this happened to your friend. It is a shame no one could get it straightened out. From time to time on the ships, I have asked for a print out of our cruises and keep a copy of that list in my carryon. I never really knew why I bothered putting it in my bag but something like that would have saved your friend the aggravation. Perhaps suggest to her to go to the HAL site now while she knows the record is complete and make a print out.

As long as your TA is a Platinum American Express Agency you can receive your Amex credit. Like mentioned it has to be a true Plat. Amex card not a Costco issued Plat Amex. Also the thing to remember why HAL will no longer give give you the Amex agencies pay big for being able to give clients this service and Amex Pays HAL. If you book direct thru HAL they have no reason to give you the Amex benefit.

Yes you can combine your CCL Stock Credit and Amex benefits.

Then about applying the CCL Stock credit I have two cruises booked one for March 20th and another for May 21st. The March 20th cruise was paid in full about two months ago and the May cruise has only about $400 left to pay. I sent in my CCL stock info about 3 weeks ago and they applied the March cruise but would not apply the May cruise because it was not paid in full. Final pay date for the March cruise was just a 3 days ago. HAL will no longer apply CCL stock credit till cruise has been paid in full. So if you pay it off prior to Final Due date at that time you can have the stock credit applied.

Lisa, Last I heard, TA Agencies were only paying something like $1,500 per year to be AmEx Platnum agency. That isn't very much. Has it changed?

This is probably before your 'time' with HAL, but we well remember our early days of cruising HAL and being AmEx Platinum Members, we used to book a Category "B" cabin and at the time of booking, get our choice of two category upgrade to "S" cabin. We went on a number of cruises with that benefit before they changed to the $150 pp OBC for guests in Suites.

;) I liked the old system better. :D It was worth very much more than $300 per couple per cruise. We used to wait each year to see if HAL and AmEx renewed the contract and they did for years and then it suddenly changed to the current terms.

Lisa, Last I heard, TA Agencies were only paying something like $1,500 per year to be AmEx Platnum agency. That isn't very much. Has it changed?

This is probably before your 'time' with HAL, but we well remember our early days of cruising HAL and being AmEx Platinum Members, we used to book a Category "B" cabin and at the time of booking, get our choice of two category upgrade to "S" cabin. We went on a number of cruises with that benefit before they changed to the $150 pp OBC for guests in Suites.

;) I liked the old system better. :D It was worth very much more than $300 per couple per cruise. We used to wait each year to see if HAL and AmEx renewed the contract and they did for years and then it suddenly changed to the current terms.

Sail, I cannot answer your questions about how much the agency pays but I believe that amount may be higher now.

Currently under the new program in a S or R class ship if you book a BB you will get a three category Upgrade for the price of a BB. Where the problem is currently with the S and R class is if you book an A and pay A price you can not get the three category upgrade. Also if you book the A and the BB or B's are sold out they cannot give you the pricing that it was and keep you in the A, I have had three cases where what they do is give them Pinnacle Dinner for two and a bottle of Champagne because they cannot move you up to a S Suite.

I am aware of how it was a long time ago with the Plat Amex but I think it was probably HAL that stopped it. Or Amex was not willing to pay the difference. There is also a much larger difference in price now between the categories. I think this all happened not that long after they added the Neptunes Lounges and HAL increased the value or perceived value of the Deluxe Verandah Suites.

Yes, of course, HAL wanted it changed. Each year, it seemed the contract got signed later and later so we speculated there were on-going negotiations.

It was fun while it lasted. :)

Archived