Epic Review (long)

DrD

I know you mentioned you weren't going to discuss the ports, etc. unless someone asked so I figured I would ask. We are going Western in November and I'm not worried about the ship at all, I can't wait to go on NCL again and we have been waiting for the Epic for 2 years. I have never done the Western side though and I'm a little nervous about the ports of call. I've been to Cozumel several times so that I don't need to know about, but I'm curious on your take of the other two stops. Thanks so much!!!!

Costa Maya is OK, I've been there 3 times before and if you don't do an excursion there's not much to do. The pool with swim up bar and great view of the ship is pretty cool for an hour or so.

We planned to use this day to enjoy slides on board, but alot of people had the same idea and since the slides opened later than they do on sea days it was actually more crowded that day than ever and we didn't go once.

Lines did seem to get shorter as cruise went on and novelty wore off.

Overall the day was still about 10 times better than the best day I've ever had at work!

Roatan was great, we did Gumbalimba park and Tabyana beach and loved it. We had never been there. I'm a pretty avid snorkeler and the snorkeling at Tabyana was the best I've done on 10 cruises. Only better was when I lived in a small town in Jamaica for 2 months and my buddies and I swam about 100 yards offshore every day to a great reef. (that was about 20 years and as many pounds ago!)

We've been to Cozumel alot also and the boys and I without DW did the Atlantis sub. It was fun but the reefs are sadly lifeless. DW seemed strangely adverse to go 100 feet down in a small, airtight drum and therefore stayed on board by herself. Weird. Actually I got a little nervous during the safety briefing when they demonstrated the use of gas masks! Free unadvertised shot of rum on the way back. We spent afternoon on board and relaxed (actually I went off on my own, fair's fair, right?)

Dr D your review was wonderful! You pointed out a few things other reviews have not - it is sooooo helpful for us still yet to go! You have a great sense of humor -- it was entertaining as well as enlightening. THANK YOU!

now -- one spa pass question..... we are a group of young - let me emphasize YOUNG grandmas going. ;) We all have family deluxe cabins for 3 each so I am glad we have the extra room.....but I am thinking the balcony will get quite tiny after a few minutes and we might enjoy going to the spa to relax......don't think too many will actually get a treatment -- but the area sounds nice for relaxing.

It's my understanding the week pass for one is about $120 -- which averages out for $40 for each sea day IF that is the only time we end up using it......... how does this compare to the quiet adult only area near H2O that I've read about others using to just get away to read or relax without kids running around.....

Also-- for the pass and no treatments what does the pass include -- just a nice quiet place to relax? I think it might include the pools and hot tubs? Are any separated by sex or are they all combined?

Any food available there? Drinks? Or - can we bring in our own?

I've read elsewhere on the spa pass but have not found too many details by someone who actually used it. So, I hope I am not asking for a repeat of easily found info.

Seems the ship is so magnificient that there may be too many other things to do on board than 'only' relax? What do you think?

Also -- seems that most of the fun stuff for adults is at night -- like the jazz, howl at moon and of course all of the great entertainment we've booked!

I may think of other questions later on -- thank you so very much! Details on the drawers under the couch helped too -- one of us will be sleeping ON the couch and I know to have them pull it out - read about one poor soul whose steward never pulled it out and she did not know she could have had better sleeping arrangements!

Thanks again!

PS - I KNEW I forgot to ask something -- the SPA hours for pass holders -- do you recall when it is available for use?

This includes:

locker room with showers, sauna, aromatherapy sauna, robes, towels, "lounge" with TV. you get your own locker with key.

spa area: hydrotherapy pool, hot tub, wet and dry sauna with great ocean views, indoor loungers, balcony with outdoor loungers, couches, and the best view of the wake on the ship, and those warm stone beds (forget what they're called.)

Does not include any treatments.

My pictures in my review (page 2 is the link) contain several photos towards the end of the spa area.

The main area is unisex but of course the locker rooms aren't.

There is no food but there is hot water and tea bags, no coffee.

I didn't see anyone bring food but I did see people bring drinks.

We liked spa better than H2O partially because the TV in H2O was distracting to me, expecially as it didn't show much but was still on (with audio!). Since I like to read I prefer a quiet environment for relaxing.

Also weather played a role, since it was August it was super hot on deck and we're from Denver so we have a low heat tolerance.

I'm not sure of the hours, I seem to remember it was open until 10pm. I don't remember what time it opens in the morning as it was before I wake up!

finally the couples pass is $200, I think any 2 people in one cabin can buy it (you don't have to be from a state that allows same-sex marriage!)

So bottom line is if you prefer quiet, can do without food and bar service, and enjoy hydrotherapy, spa may be better, otherwise Spice is fine. also better weather (less hot) skews toward Spice.

As far as things to do in the daytime, there are many. Check dailies which have been posted around. Many of the best day activities involve a fee. (wine tasting , bingo, etc.)

This includes:

finally the couples pass is $200, I think any 2 people in one cabin can buy it (you don't have to be from a state that allows same-sex marriage!)

So bottom line is if you prefer quiet, can do without food and bar service, and enjoy hydrotherapy, spa may be better, otherwise Spice is fine. also better weather (less hot) skews toward Spice.

As far as things to do in the daytime, there are many. Check dailies which have been posted around. Many of the best day activities involve a fee. (wine tasting , bingo, etc.)

THANK YOU! As usual, you are right on the money with details - I SO appreciate you. This will give our group a heads up on if we want to try to get a weekly pass -- it sounds wonderful to me. A few of us just might indulge ourselves. ;) I don't want to spend ALL day there but it would be nice to have a cooler (I am from the humid Gulf but I don't like it any more than apparently you do!) spot with a lovely view to read a book - I don't think those small balconies will do the trick for me.

This includes:

My pictures in my review (page 2 is the link) contain several photos towards the end of the spa area.

THANK you so very much for taking time to answer my questions!! I will definitely try to get a week pass on the first day.

Do you have any idea if that is something we can go do immediately upon boarding?? I will try anyway.....;)

I really enjoyed your photos -- the sunset photo is magnificent -- can hardly wait! I see what you mean about that giant TV messing up the view - ridiculous.....even Carnival has the giant TV in the middle of the deck and does not block a gorgeous view. :(

I think your number 70 is of the spa and then others that followed..... someone's big feet living the life - must've been a spa balcony view LOL -- the green cushioned lounges look comfy.... and I assume they provide robes for anyone with a pass????

... thanks so much for posting photos -- I don't need a tour to know I want this pass. :D

Enjoyed putting a face to your helpful advice - you have a lovely family and those boys look like they enjoyed themselves! :)

Thanks for all the nice compliments, I guess I'll have to answer your questions now!

My wife bought the spa pass as soon as we boarded which was about 11:45.

Those feet are mine, I was actually on the pool deck (15) in a nice area aft, port side, near arcade, where there were several comfy big chairs and couches (the area was covered by deck above.) It was kind of a secret the first day but people found it soon enough.

Robes are provided in the locker room in spa. It's a help yourself deal (ditto towels.)

The TV is kind of dumb, especially as it doesn't really show anything much. If you're gonna spoil a view at least show me some movies or TV shows! Or just turn it off when there's nothing on. At least then we wouldn't have the bright light in our eyes.

You will love the Epic and will have a great time.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your wonderful review. I can't get enough. We have 27 days to go.

I think you are the first to mention the part about "There were also touch screens by every elevator that you could use to find a venue then it would show you how to get there." This is a neat feature.

how was your trip ;)

Archived