Epic Review (long)

DrD

Not an Epic-specific observation, but just curious:

"The muster was the best ever, no lifejackets, go to an inside lounge, and it then took about 45 seconds. I couldn't believe how fast it was. people were clapping."

From the dozen or so muster drills I have attended, there are always way more than a few people who are totally unable to properly don their life jacket unassisted, even with NO pressure or stress involved.

I am sure great minds have given this careful consideration, but in the event of a sudden, real emergency, I wonder what the outcome might likely be.

"The muster was the best ever, no lifejackets, go to an inside lounge, and it then took about 45 seconds. I couldn't believe how fast it was. people were clapping."

From the dozen or so muster drills I have attended, there are always way more than a few people who are totally unable to properly don their life jacket unassisted, even with NO pressure or stress involved.

I am sure great minds have given this careful consideration, but in the event of a sudden, real emergency, I wonder what the outcome might likely be.

I guess they are taking a chance, but, I spoke with a few of the staff and they said when they had the muster station outside on the deck with the life jackets on, several older people ended up fainting and they had to get medics to take care of them. :eek: This was mostly due to the heat/humidity and the claustrophobia.

I don't wonder , I know no one would have a clue what to do. The lifejacket demo was half over before I realized it had started an I'm usually very good about these things. Luckily it's exceedingly unlikely there would be an emergency of this type.

Perfect review for me to read! We also have 2 boys who will be 6 and 8 when we cruise. Thanks for all the details. We've previously cruised Disney and loved it. I'm a little afraid this cruise won't live up to our first, but willing to try. A lot of helpful info in your review.

I too had this worry but I was well content. Too a large extent the cruises were very different, I liked many things better about Disney but but the Epic had it's strong points also.

Overall I might say that Disney was a bit better but the Epic was quite alot cheaper.

Keep in mind that I (like many) tend to be biased towards my most recent cruise as memories are fresher.

Overall I doubt you will be very disapointed.

Thanks so much for the terrific review -- I think you covered just about everything.

Did you feel the cost for the spa was worth the "price of admission"? :)

Yes. A nice escape. Honestly though alot of this is based on the generally crowded conditions around the main pools on sea days.

We went there for 2-4 hours on all 3 sea days in the afternoon and it was very relaxing. then again we both had books we were heavily into. If you want to read or take a nap it's ideal, if this is not your idea of fun it may not be worth it to you.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. :) Loved them. I had to download something earlier in order to view them, but I just did that and really liked them. Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. :) Loved them. I had to download something earlier in order to view them, but I just did that and really liked them. Thanks again.

No problem!

You are truly one of the most excited pending cruisers on this board and I love it!

No problem!

You are truly one of the most excited pending cruisers on this board and I love it!

HAHA, yes I am (well, Mike "use" to be, but he already went=lucky duck). I'm so excited and can't get enough. :D I actually have folders sitting on my desk, labeled, with information on everything from cruise, ports, airplane and so on. I print things up all the time. I need to get to organizing it so I'll be prepared when I leave. :eek: :D

Yep, and few people used it, I don't think is was easily apparent that's what they were. You could touch dining and see a list of all restaurants with availability status for the whole evening, see a show schedule, find things, etc.

I was only on for 2 nights & it bugged me that there wasn't a directory in the elevator!!! I couldn't imagine why they would have not added them when they are on the other ships. Thank you! Now I know why! Maybe there were too many people in the elevator for me to notice? Where was this touch screen??

If anyone has concerns regarding how to put on their life jacket, there is nothing stopping them from practicing in their cabin and if they have any questions, they can always ask their room steward or any other crewmember/officer on board.

"However there were no actual drawers, just shelves and cubbies."

It does seem strange that a family balcony has no drawers when in the standard balcony that I had, there were three large, deep drawers. They were beneath the smaller of the two closets immediately next to the balcony door. I think someone may have mentioned that this is only found in the cabin arrangement where the couch is nearest the balcony. Someone also mentioned in their cabin (can't remember the arrangement) they had the three drawers but were very shallow. Anyone have any rhyme or reason to the drawer situation?

"However there were no actual drawers, just shelves and cubbies."

It does seem strange that a family balcony has no drawers when in the standard balcony that I had, there were three large, deep drawers. They were beneath the smaller of the two closets immediately next to the balcony door. I think someone may have mentioned that this is only found in the cabin arrangement where the couch is nearest the balcony. Someone also mentioned in their cabin (can't remember the arrangement) they had the three drawers but were very shallow. Anyone have any rhyme or reason to the drawer situation?

I did forget to mention that my cabin was one with a connecting door to the next cabin, and thus was missing a closet. Sounds like I now know what would have been there!

Great review. Thanks! Nice pics and cute kids! 1st I've seen of the fancy men's room. Is that part of the spa?

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

No that is the regular men's room by the pool. I had to take photos of it as I thought it was really cool.

first time I've photographed a men's room!

Thanks.

Didn't seem to be too much to do around hotel for a family, so we just stayed at the pool and went to bed early.

There is nothing to do around the hotel, but a $6 cab fare will take you to the Downtown Market, which is an outdoor shopping center on the bay. We took a sightseeing boat ride Friday evening and bought a few item that we forgot. There is a little mini mall below the hotel - just outside the lobby. A little convenience store, a few clothing stores, etc. Most of the stores were closed on Friday evening, but the convenience store was nice for some snacks.

Archived