stolen wallet...no photo id to board ship???

MszKitty

My wallet was stolen 10 days before we were leaving on our cruise last month. I also live in California and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a picture ID immediately. I went to the DMV the next day and waited in line one hour to fill out the application. My ID came the day we got back from our cruise. The sad part is that they keep your digital picture on file - they don't even have to take a new one.

Thank goodness I have a passport or I wouldn't have been able to go on our cruise (another good reason to have a passport). My only other picture ID is my Costco card!

She has her birth certificate and she has a University of California Santa Barbara student ID.

If she gets any static about her student ID not being official identification, have her point out that the University of California IS a state government entity, a state university. She does, in fact, have a government-issued ID.

Happy cruising,

Susan

I guess Ive had good luck with the California DMV! When I moved back to the state in 2003 I had to get my old CA license reinstated and I had it in a week!

As for getting a US passport ASAP....since you are up in the LA area, she can go to the passport office in LA. She will probably have to spend an entire day there to get it issued but it is an option that she should consider.

Well....new developments in the girl's problem.

Her mom was feeling so uneasy about the whole thing that she felt it was a "sign" and now the mom won't let the girl go on the cruise. :( The mom is even going to pay the daughter back for the money she paid for the cruise.

Mean mom!

Being a mom, I can kind of understand her wariness allowing her daughter to leave the country without parents. But, with such short notice after planning to go and getting so excited, bummer. Is there any way you could intervene and smooth some ruffled feathers (it kind of sounds like you are chaperoning)? Unless my kids had done something awful, or I did not trust who they were going with, I don't believe I could pull the rug out from under them like that.

Mean mom!

Being a mom, I can kind of understand her wariness allowing her daughter to leave the country without parents. But, with such short notice after planning to go and getting so excited, bummer. Is there any way you could intervene and smooth some ruffled feathers (it kind of sounds like you are chaperoning)? Unless my kids had done something awful, or I did not trust who they were going with, I don't believe I could pull the rug out from under them like that.

I do understand how the mom feels too, but I wish I could have intervened to make the mom feel better about it. But I don't know the parents. This girl was my daughters roommate at college last year. I've only met her parents once (on move-in day) and I even told the girl I would talk to her parents if she wanted, but she declined. I was talking to my daughter about it and she said..."you know how it is if I want something, and you say no, but if I want it bad enough I will keep it up?" "Well...she won't do that. When her parents say no, she might keep at it a little bit, but then she stops and just accepts it." Dang!....does my daughter have me figured out, or what?....LOL

Technically, the girl is 19...an adult...she could go without her mom's permission, but just like we tell my daughter....you may be an "adult", but as long as you are in college, you are financially dependent on us, so you still have to have respect for our feelings and concerns. (so far that has worked for the times she wanted to take those "spring break" trips to Mexico we weren't comfortable with...lol Or the little nose piercing she wanted....lol)

Maybe thats what her friend's parents told her about this trip.

Still sad though. I'm sure the parents have never been on a cruise before otherwise they would know how disappointing this is for the girl.

Thats a shame the girls parents won't let her go now! She does sound like a responsible young adult and she will be with your group, you as parents, other parents and adults. I hope the mother changes her mind and lets her go!

Unfortunately, its a done deal. She is definately not going. My daughter even found someone to take her place. I am calling RCCL tomorrow to do a name change. (the girl's parents are even paying the fee for the name change)

I hope they let you do a name change at this late date. I have heard that since 9/11 they aren't as flexible as before for security reasons. Good luck!

I've already checked. I can do a name change up to 72 hours prior to sail date....which means I have until Tues to make the change. However, I told my daughter and her friend that we only had until tomorrow to make the change. So I'm taking care of it tomorrow.

I've already checked. I can do a name change up to 72 hours prior to sail date....which means I have until Tues to make the change. However, I told my daughter and her friend that we only had until tomorrow to make the change. So I'm taking care of it tomorrow.

I am so glad! :)

Have a marvelous cruise!

Michelle

I see you have settled the issue but let me try to sort out the citizenship issue if I may. The young lady would NOT have to give up her Canadian Citizenship if she were to get an American Passport. I speak with experience. I am one who carries dual citizenship and hold an American passport.

Before 1977, this was not the case. However in 1977, Canada passed the Citizenship Act of 1977 that allowed for this. I became a naturalized citizen in 1984 after this law took affect and I did not have to renounce my Canadian citizenship. I am still considered a Canadian citizen also. This young lady has claim to Canadian citizenship through her parents and has claim to American citizenship through her place of birth.

For more information I'm including a link that may be helpful to some in the same situation.

[url]http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/dualci_e.html[/url]

I hope this helps and good luck.

[quote name='Sheffie']Mszkitty ~ Did you get everything taken care of okay? Just wondering.

Michelle[/QUOTE]

Sheffie...

Yes....I DID get the name change on the booking and received confirmation today.

Everything is good. Well...except for the poor girl who doesn't get to go now.

Archived