Drop off for Dawn

dond3131

Has anyone been dropped off for the Dawn recently?We are being dropped off by a friends that are very familiar with NY,just wander if any kind of crazy construction going on in or around the tunnel.We will be going on Sunday the 29th and are planning on getting to the pier by 10:30 or so to try and beat the traffic.I know you can never count on anything around there but just wonder if something out of the ordinary is going on.

Thanks

Don

We just returned --I suggest that you get dropped off on 12 AVE across the street from the pier and walk across the street.

We got there at 1015 last week so there was no traffic, either way you go.

There are 2 ships in port 48st is Dawn and 50st is Holland America.

At 10 15 you will probably find a porter delivering baggage and passengers from the cruise --so they can take the bags back across the street.

By the way since we were among the first--we of course got our luggage very late--I guess first in last out

They start letting you on board at 11 30

Thanks for the tip.Coming from LI I guess you didn't have to deal with the tunnel but did you happen to notice and kind of road construction going on in that area?That area always scares me,have had issues there in the past and that was before 9/11.

Thanks for the tip.Coming from LI I guess you didn't have to deal with the tunnel but did you happen to notice and kind of road construction going on in that area?That area always scares me,have had issues there in the past and that was before 9/11.

There were no noticeable construction projects in the immediate area of the cruise terminal when we were there a couple of weeks ago. You're going on a Sunday morning in the summer, when traffic overall in Manhattan is typically very light. Even if you were delayed an hour in traffic you would be at the pier at 11:30, still giving you plenty of time to get on the ship early enough to enjoy a leisurely lunch ( go to the dining room, not the buffet!).

Thanks Mark and NJhorsemen for your replies,very helpful.Mark,I think I'll take your suggestion and just get dropped off on 12Th &48th,that sounds like a good idea.My friends wife works in the city and that's where they are heading after the let us off,so that works out easy for them as well.When its time for them to pick us up,would you suggest doing the same in reverse,having them meet us at the same spot?Also is there enough room to pull over there with out getting grief from the police or is that pretty much what a lot of people do?

The last two times we sailed out of that port,one time we were with a big group from our area and arrived via private bus and the second time NCL provided the bus transportation so we had no headaches at all.I just remember years ago taking a bus trip from Trenton with a bunch of guys to go see a Yankee's night game and it was a major nightmare trying to get into the city,everything was backed up.Thank God there was plenty of beer and a head on the bus.LOL

I know we will get there in plenty of time to catch the ship,not worried about that to much,we would just like to get there early enough to get on and have a nice quite lunch and to not tie our friends up for any longer than we have to.

Thanks again for the help

Don

getting picked up is a little more tricky, this week it seems they didnt start letting people off until 8 30AM (self departing-people carry own luggage) and it was well past 9 AM when they had priority departure leave.

But you can stay on the ship until 10 AM so if you want to be safe leave the ship at 930-945 and arrange for a 10 AM pick up on 12 ave and 48st-

if you want to be real adventurous and can wheel you luggage--go to 11Ave where i assume it will be less crowded

Have them drop you off upstairs in departures. Arrivals who've cruised and are returning have to wait outside on 48th Street and 12th Ave. for pick up. Have a good one. Pete/

Thanks for the tip,but I was trying to make it as painless as possible for my friends .If it looks like the traffic is really light when we get there maybe I'll try your suggestion,but if we get out on the north side of 12th,all they have to do is make a right and they are on their way to the city.

Archived