NCL - Worst Customer Service Ever !!!

RJake1

I worked in call centres on the night shift when I was much younger, and we did not have any supervisors. In fact there were only 2 of us on duty and we were peers.

We had some 'shoulder' supervision (the supervisor left at 11pm, and the next one came in at 6a.m.) but most of the evening we were alone.

The reason that the agent couldn't pull up the OPs payment information...is because the OP didn't pay NCL anything.

The OP paid their TA, who then deducted their commission and paid NCL.

So NCL knows what/when the TA paid, but doesn't have those details for the customer.

If you call General Motors, they will not be able to pull-up how much you paid the dealer for your car. (NB: this is especially true if you drive an Audi! (GM has NO idea what you paid!) ;) ) Your contract & financial agreements are with the dealer. It's not that they don't want to...heck, having access to the actual 'street price' of their vehicles might be helpful when pricing new models....but a dealer can always sell for less / add-in extras, etc. as part of the negotiating process.

Same with a TA.

you are right about all of the above, I was just thinking the OP called customer service during day hours and there should have been a sup available, not been told the only one was on vacation. I too, worked for a large hotel call center for many years. Our customer service supervisor also went home about 11pm. In fact like you said, there was no supervisor of any kind around from 11pm until the next day. Come to think about it, the customer service supervisor actually went home about 7pm. There was always somewhat in charge, but the official supervisor did leave early and the rest of the floor, the last supervisor left about 10 or 11pm. I know, I was that person when I first became a supervisor.

Nita

I have always said that NCL Customer Service is the WORST of any company and I still stand by that fact.

Way too many reports come on these boards of incompetence and stupidity at NCL Customer Service to not believe it. If it is true that CC members only represent 2% of the total number of NCL passengers, then there are many, many cases like this and others reported on this board... way to many for an good customer Service department to have.

My father also had a run in with NCL Customer Service and talking to a Supervisor... but instead of him being told they were on vacation, the story was that the Supervisor was "in a meeting" the first time he called... so he left his number and asked to be called. Two days later, after not being called, he called back (at 2:30 in the afternoon, he writes everything down...) and was told the Supervisor had "just left for lunch" and wouldn't be back until "after 4:00." How nice of NCL to let their employees have 90 minutes for lunch... I wish other businesses gave that much time for lunch.

He called back the next day in the morning and he/she was "out to lunch" again... what flexible lunch hours NCL has.... must be nice.

Finally on the next try a couple days later (after leaving his number and asking for a call again,) he got the response: "he is on the phone." Oh good... Dad told the rep that he would wait for her. He was put on hold. He had a speaker phone, so he put the call on speaker phone and went about reading the newspaper, having some lunch, and reading a book. (no, not "War and Peace" or "Moby Dick" but close...lol). About 2 hours later someone came back on the line and said in a guarded voice: "hello?" Dad spoke up and said that he was still waiting for the supervisor. The person on the other end never really expected anyone to be on the phone and fumbled around for an excuse and so he was told: "oh, she just left for the day." You leave for the day with a call on hold???????

He finally demanded to know the Manager over the Supervisor was and wanted that person's number. Funny, the supervisor called him back then within an hour.

Its sad that a company like NCL would rather treat customers that way.. to LIE to them about the supervisor and try to hide.

Based on what I have read and experienced, the person who the OP talked to is simply a bold face LIAR. How she can go home each night knowing that she lies to customers is sad. But, it appears the entire NCL Customer Service Department is nothing but a bunch of Liars. Liars, whether company directed or not, are sad people and embarassments to the human race.

WOW Deja Vu all over again... I was told by the customer service rep that there were no supervisors on duty. That if I wanted to speak to a customer service manager I could leave a voicemail and they will call me back. I questioned that and asked the lady why is there no supervisors available for such a huge company. she said she didn't know... HA! B.S>

Ding ding ding. My manager is also away this week, yet I'm here working.

They have one manager in Customer Relations, her name is Mary Alice.... she's entitled (I believe) to vacation time just as anyone else.

I'm not sure why the panic over waiting 7 days, it doesn't seem like a horribly long time.... I waited 4 weeks for them to respond to a letter I'd sent.

I am out for two weeks due to surgery. However, I do have someone covering for me while I am out. I think the TA should have handled the situation but I believe someone is always covering for someone out or if not should be.....

I wonder if NCL corporate knows about the lack of availability of supervisors to phone callers. The reason I ask is that sometimes call center workers are "punished" in one form or another if their call goes to a supervisor, especially if the caller is dissatisfied (and of course that is the reason for asking for a supervisor). When I call Dell and have a big enough problem to need a supervisor, the staff does everything humanly possible to convince me I don't need to speak to a supervisor, although they have never said one is not available.

The reason that the agent couldn't pull up the OPs payment information...is because the OP didn't pay NCL anything. The OP paid their TA, who then deducted their commission and paid NCL.

From my experience as one who always pays by credit card, I can see that the TA never charges my credit card. I give my credit card number to the TA and they pass it along to the cruise line. The charge on my account is from the cruise line, not the TA. So how would the TA deduct anything?

It is correct that the TA should be handling this for the OP. But if you've got a really bad TA who won't lift a finger, your only option may be to contact NCL directly. Someone suggested firing the TA. If you fire the TA, and NCL will only speak to the TA, how does that help the current situation?

One thing I don't understand is why I can't even view my payment info online if I use a TA. If I log into My NCL and try to see if my cruise reward certificate is applied, I can't. (This isn't just NCL's site, other lines do the same thing.) It's my money that's paid to the cruise line, not the TA's, so I should be able to view all transactions. If I can access all the other info about the vacation I paid for, why can't I view my payment info?

I worked an early evening shift in Telemarketing/Customer Service department for a while. Although we ALWAYS had a supervisor on the floor, they did discourage our escalating calls to them and we had no means to document customers' complaints. We would instruct customers to call back during regular business hours.

From my experience as one who always pays by credit card, I can see that the TA never charges my credit card. I give my credit card number to the TA and they pass it along to the cruise line. The charge on my account is from the cruise line, not the TA. So how would the TA deduct anything?

It can happen either way. I think it is best that the TA pass the card number to the cruiseline who processes the charge. Some travel agencies like to process the charge, then pay the cruiseline. Of course if said agenct goes bust without paying all cruiseline bill, the customer is left holding the bag:eek:.

It is correct that the TA should be handling this for the OP. But if you've got a really bad TA who won't lift a finger, your only option may be to contact NCL directly. Someone suggested firing the TA. If you fire the TA, and NCL will only speak to the TA, how does that help the current situation?

Well, the agent asked the OP to do his/her job. That is bad. If the OP now politely asks the agent to call NCL and he/she refuses, that is awful. Such an agent is beyond worthless and should not ever receive more bookings from OP, his family or friends. Obviously the OP cannot literally fire them, but can do so figuratively.

One thing I don't understand is why I can't even view my payment info online if I use a TA. If I log into My NCL and try to see if my cruise reward certificate is applied, I can't. (This isn't just NCL's site, other lines do the same thing.) It's my money that's paid to the cruise line, not the TA's, so I should be able to view all transactions. If I can access all the other info about the vacation I paid for, why can't I view my payment info?

Your TA "owns" your reservation. The cruiseline and agent set the rules to force you to contact your agent for everything. To me, most agents feel like a burdensome middlemen, but they can get better deals than I can booking directly. I look forward to the day the cruiselines move into the internet age: they should find a way to offer folks who book direct and self-service their bookings can get the best price. Like the airlines did long ago.

I worked an early evening shift in Telemarketing/Customer Service department for a while. Although we ALWAYS had a supervisor on the floor, they did discourage our escalating calls to them and we had no means to document customers' complaints. We would instruct customers to call back during regular business hours.

The OP's agent needs to make the call. Bet all will be fixed and or explained when the agent picks up the phone. Although the OP is very concerned about the supervisor issue, I hope he has turned his attention to his agent's behavior.

But if you've got a really bad TA who won't lift a finger, your only option may be to contact NCL directly. That's not an option.

Someone suggested firing the TA. If you fire the TA, and NCL will only speak to the TA, how does that help the current situation? Send NCL a change of responsibility form (I think that's what its called?) moving your booking from that TA to either...another, or to NCL

One thing I don't understand is why I can't even view my payment info online if I use a TA. If I log into My NCL and try to see if my cruise reward certificate is applied, I can't. (This isn't just NCL's site, other lines do the same thing.) There are contractual/legal requirements for the cruiseline to refer to the TA, AND there's the fact that the money that the line would use to pay for its own internal reservations / customer service people...have, at your request, been paid to the TA in the form of commission. The business can't afford both to pay the TA to provide this service, AND to provide it themselves as well. You make a choice when you choose a TA, and that choice includes abandoning first-level support from the provider. In return you may get a rebate of some TA commission, or OBC, or whatever incentive the TA has offered.

It's my money that's paid to the cruise line, not the TA's, so I should be able to view all transactions. If I can access all the other info about the vacation I paid for, why can't I view my payment info?

Because, notwithstanding the credit-card charges, you agreement / payments are TO the cruiseline, not WITH the cruiseline.

Well we've seen that some call centres are large, and some aren't. The Customer Relations line is for post-sailing issues, and is a fairly small department from what I can tell.

If the manager is away, she's away....for all we know, OP might have been offered the "on-duty", and insisted on the manager herself....that detail has not been provided.

This is depressing. I was diagnosed with CF before our cruise. We were supposed to go to the Greek Islands, via NYC and Germany. Planes were being cancelled right & left due to the volcano ash. I couldn't face going without knowing we'd make it to Greece. We lost lots of money because we hadn't purchased adequate insurance and I guess a diagnosis isn't considered a medical emergency. Live and learn.

It can happen either way. I think it is best that the TA pass the card number to the cruiseline who processes the charge. Some travel agencies like to process the charge, then pay the cruiseline. Of course if said agenct goes bust without paying all cruiseline bill, the customer is left holding the bag

I've probably used 6 or 7 different agencies for all my cruises. I never had an agency charge my card, then pay the cruise line. If they did, I would dispute the charge on my card and find another agency.

Your TA "owns" your reservation. The cruiseline and agent set the rules to force you to contact your agent for everything.

Yep, I understand that and agree with it--to a point. If your TA is negligent, you still can't talk to NCL????

But if you've got a really bad TA who won't lift a finger, your only option may be to contact NCL directly. That's not an option.

Someone suggested firing the TA. If you fire the TA, and NCL will only speak to the TA, how does that help the current situation? Send NCL a change of responsibility form (I think that's what its called?) moving your booking from that TA to either...another, or to NCL

Aha! So there IS a way to get around a negligent TA! Although, as in the case of the OP, moving a canceled cruise to another agent or to NCL may be an issue.

There are contractual/legal requirements for the cruiseline to refer to the TA, AND there's the fact that the money that the line would use to pay for its own internal reservations / customer service people...have, at your request, been paid to the TA in the form of commission. The business can't afford both to pay the TA to provide this service, AND to provide it themselves as well. You make a choice when you choose a TA, and that choice includes abandoning first-level support from the provider. In return you may get a rebate of some TA commission, or OBC, or whatever incentive the TA has offered.

I'm not looking for a cruise line's customer service people to give me info about my payment. I want to view my payments online. When I buy car insurance through an independent insurance agent, my check goes to the insurer, not the agent. And I can use the insurer's website to view my payment history.

I have never had any unexpected cruise line charges on my credit card statement (and I always check). The deposit is always what I expected, and the final payment is what I expected. There were no 'extra' debits and credits that balanced each other out. The only thing I can't see is if a cruise certificate has been applied. Being able to check my payment/credit history doesn't seem like too much to ask.

I've probably used 6 or 7 different agencies for all my cruises. I never had an agency charge my card, then pay the cruise line. If they did, I would dispute the charge on my card and find another agency...

I always ask in advance how the agent handles payments. All or nearly all say the cruiseline will charge. Nevertheless, an agent evidently 'forgot' our conversation and the agency charged my card. I called and said I was uncomfortable. The agent behaved professionally, promptly refunding the agency charge and then letting the cruiseline process charge. Much better for both than forcing me to dispute the charge. I am sure it has happened to others as there are plenty of stories about bankrupt travel agencies leaving customers in bad spots.

As the OP I appreciate all of the responses. Very educational for me.

A couple of observations:

1) Where there's smoke there's fire. There are enough similarities between my experience and others' experience regarding availability of a supervisor that I think its fair to conclude that NCL either a) trains its reps to "lie" about supervisor availability; or 2) penalizes its reps for putting calls through to a supervisor. I can't think of any other explanation. There are enough reports on this thread that its got to be more than coincidence.

2) Calm down before posting. Good advice. I suggest the same apply to people posting replies to the original post. LOL!!

3) Time can be of the essence. Some posters feel that being asked to wait a week for a reply is fine. I personally think that is extremely poor customer service, but beyond that, time can be critical. For example, my travel insurance company requires a claim be filed within 20 days. While things can be supplemented at a later date, NCL's delay could have a ripple effect of creating more work, aggravation, etc. for the consumer. The goal of good customer relations should be to make things easier for your customer.

So yes I have calmed down, but unfortunately I still consider NCLs customer service as delivering way below expectations.

Thanks again for all of your replies and advice.

1) Where there's smoke there's fire. There are enough similarities between my experience and others' experience regarding availability of a supervisor that I think its fair to conclude that NCL either a) trains its reps to "lie" about supervisor availability; or 2) penalizes its reps for putting calls through to a supervisor. I can't think of any other explanation. There are enough reports on this thread that its got to be more than coincidence.

2) Calm down before posting. Good advice. I suggest the same apply to people posting replies to the original post. LOL!!

3) Time can be of the essence. Some posters feel that being asked to wait a week for a reply is fine. I personally think that is extremely poor customer service, but beyond that, time can be critical. For example, my travel insurance company requires a claim be filed within 20 days. While things can be supplemented at a later date, NCL's delay could have a ripple effect of creating more work, aggravation, etc. for the consumer. The goal of good customer relations should be to make things easier for your customer.

So yes I have calmed down, but unfortunately I still consider NCLs customer service as delivering way below expectations.

Has your travel agent called NCL? Did that resolve the billing issue?

and it appears you are not paying too much attention to what has been posted. What about the responsibility of your TA? As for no supervisor on duty, again, it has been explained. Depending on the time of day or night, this is possible, saying the sup went on vacation is rediculous, but cliaming NCL teaches agents to lie or encourages them to not put calls through is as rediculous. You may have gotten an agent that did lie, but companies do not teach their agents to lie. I have worked for and with too many companies and call centers.

Whether you want to believe this or not, there are two points you don't seem to understand, 1-the blame falls totally or partially with you agent and 2-the booking belongs to the agent, not the passenger so NCL will not answer any of your questions. The only place or comment I would blame on NCL was the one about the supervisor being on vacation.

Nita

Companies do not teach their agents to lie. I have worked for and with too many companies and call centers. Nita

I disagree. I have worked in CS since my late teens and have worked many call centers, both from home and on location. I have been told several times to discourage customers from speaking to supervisors. It is a fact. I was told to tell customers the same thing...supervisor is on vacation, at lunch, on phone, etc. and to satisfy the customer by doing whatever it takes. It is naive to think otherwise. Companies lie to customers all the time.

I disagree. I have worked in CS since my late teens and have worked many call centers, both from home and on location. I have been told several times to discourage customers from speaking to supervisors. It is a fact. I was told to tell customers the same thing...supervisor is on vacation, at lunch, on phone, etc. and to satisfy the customer by doing whatever it takes. It is naive to think otherwise. Companies lie to customers all the time.

and that is sad. I have worked for a large hotel reservations call cernter, both as an agent, a supervisor and manager, never would be do that. This goes for the travel agencies I have been involved with, my daughters have worked reservations for a major airline and my husband was in management for a rental car company and was a rep for a home security company. Not one of these companies ever advised agents to lie or discourage them from allowing customers to contact supervisors. Because of the years I have been in the travel business I have had many occassions to need the advise of a supervisor. Only once did I not get to talk to one, but the problem was resolved as soon as I asked to speak to a supervisor. By the way, that happened to be a holiday and the call was to NCL.

Maybe now you will see why I say what I do, No, I am far from niave, you have worked for some less than quality companies it sounds like.

Nita

and it appears you are not paying too much attention to what has been posted. What about the responsibility of your TA? As for no supervisor on duty, again, it has been explained. Depending on the time of day or night, this is possible, saying the sup went on vacation is rediculous, but cliaming NCL teaches agents to lie or encourages them to not put calls through is as rediculous. You may have gotten an agent that did lie, but companies do not teach their agents to lie. I have worked for and with too many companies and call centers.

Whether you want to believe this or not, there are two points you don't seem to understand, 1-the blame falls totally or partially with you agent and 2-the booking belongs to the agent, not the passenger so NCL will not answer any of your questions. The only place or comment I would blame on NCL was the one about the supervisor being on vacation.

Nita

With all due respect, I think it is you that has not paid attention. I acknowledged early on that there might be an issue with the TA. However, that does not exonerate NCL from its customer service obligations. I further indicated my biggest concern was with the refusal to allow me to speak with a supervisor. To this day I do not believe that nobody is in charge over there. Maybe the actual supervisor was on vacation, but somebody is repsonsiblie for running the show. Thats whom I should have been put through to.

Anyway, with regard to ultimate resolution of the refund issue, the answer is both yes and no. The TA was able to get through to somebody at NCL that confirmed the amount of the refund. However, oddly enough the refund was issued in 3 separate transactions, all in differing amounts, the total of which does not equal 50%. The rep at NCL could not explain why the refund was issued in three installments, nor could the rep explain why the amount differed from the contract guarantee.

So, just as I feared, no explanation has been provided by NCL. I suppose I can insist that my TA make multiple calls to NCL to try to get an explanation. But c'mon, is that realistic? NCL customer service reps should have been able to provide the information with one call. I have a life to live. I can't spend hours upon hours trying to get an answer to a simple question.

and that is sad. I have worked for a large hotel reservations call cernter, both as an agent, a supervisor and manager, never would be do that. This goes for the travel agencies I have been involved with, my daughters have worked reservations for a major airline and my husband was in management for a rental car company and was a rep for a home security company. Not one of these companies ever advised agents to lie or discourage them from allowing customers to contact supervisors. Because of the years I have been in the travel business I have had many occassions to need the advise of a supervisor. Only once did I not get to talk to one, but the problem was resolved as soon as I asked to speak to a supervisor. By the way, that happened to be a holiday and the call was to NCL.

Maybe now you will see why I say what I do, No, I am far from niave, you have worked for some less than quality companies it sounds like.

Nita

She may have worked for some less than quality companies...but the reality is there are many of them like that out there. If you ever listen to the Dave Ramsey show or read his books he'll tell you all the horror stories (true ones) of the telemarketers and "customer service" organizations...including the "I'm sorry...we have no managers on duty" line.

With all due respect, I think it is you that has not paid attention. I acknowledged early on that there might be an issue with the TA. However, that does not exonerate NCL from its customer service obligations..

Actually, yes it does. NCL pays the agency some 17% of your cruise fare, and the agency in return OWNS the customer service obligation.

That's it, that's all. You are not NCL's customer, you are the agency's customer....legally. (Yes, you'll be NCL's guest on board....but legally you are the agency's customer)

If NCL did anything with your account, the agency would have recourse against them.

Next, the Customer Relations team....they're a small group. I've had occasion to deal with them recently. THey have 1 manager, Mary Alice, who was away.

It's not a "call centre" operation, it's a tight-knit group in an office.

Has your manager never been away? What would you do, if someone insisted on speaking to them NOW, rather than when he returns from vacation?

Anyway, with regard to ultimate resolution of the refund issue, the answer is both yes and no. The TA was able to get through to somebody at NCL that confirmed the amount of the refund. However, oddly enough the refund was issued in 3 separate transactions, all in differing amounts, the total of which does not equal 50%. The rep at NCL could not explain why the refund was issued in three installments, nor could the rep explain why the amount differed from the contract guarantee.

So, just as I feared, no explanation has been provided by NCL. I suppose I can insist that my TA make multiple calls to NCL to try to get an explanation. But c'mon, is that realistic? NCL customer service reps should have been able to provide the information with one call. I have a life to live. I can't spend hours upon hours trying to get an answer to a simple question.

Yes, it's realistic. You don't know who your TA spoke with, how the TA asked the question, what the response was, exactly....

Try this on for size. Is it possible that the port charges AND / OR taxes were NOT refundable? If you took those off the top & then sliced the 'cruise fare' portion in two (50%) are you anywhere near the number?

The 3 portions of refund could be 'commissions', 'fees', and 'cruise'

I too have worked in CS and it happens all the time.

The cheerleaders will never believe you. In their eyes NCL can do no wrong and you are a immoral person for suggesting so.

I suppose I will be called a cheerleader, but, my experience with NCL customer service has been great. I have talked to supervisors a few times, and had no problem getting one. On one occasion, I was called back by Andy Stuart called me back. Of course, I called in relation to things that were in NCL's, not a TAs area of responsibility. I will bet money the TA is charging something, either a cancellation fee or some part of their commission.

Al

I too have worked in CS and it happens all the time.

The cheerleaders will never believe you. In their eyes NCL can do no wrong and you are a immoral person for suggesting so.

i don't think it is a matter of cheerleaders not believing anything, it is a matter of someone saying call centers teach their people to lie and cheat. I am not saying this never happens, I am saying it is rare. The companies I have been involved with, if you read my post it is many, would never do anything like that. They would encourage upset callers to talk to customer service and customer service would be glad to put a supervisor on the phone if one was available. The other issue, as a TA I know this is fact as well: the reservation does belong to the travel agent and the cruise line, no matter which one can give out no information. I do say, assuming the OP is telling the whole story, I will give him the benefit of the doubt, if a customer service person lied to him, she/he did it on their own and that is unaccpetable.

Nita

With all due respect, I think it is you that has not paid attention. I acknowledged early on that there might be an issue with the TA. However, that does not exonerate NCL from its customer service obligations. I further indicated my biggest concern was with the refusal to allow me to speak with a supervisor. To this day I do not believe that nobody is in charge over there. Maybe the actual supervisor was on vacation, but somebody is repsonsiblie for running the show. Thats whom I should have been put through to.

And that is exactly the point, if you had a travel agent, it is their responsibilty to spend hours and hours. Beleive me, I have been there on more than one occassion. Your travel agent is getting paid to do something and sometimes it is more work than anyone realizes. This is the reason you hire an agent.

Nita

I will bet money the TA is charging something, either a cancellation fee or some part of their commission.
Is it possible that the port charges AND / OR taxes were NOT refundable? If you took those off the top & then sliced the 'cruise fare' portion in two (50%) are you anywhere near the number?

This is the problem with not being able to speak directly to the cruise line. Either of these options are possible. It is also possible the refund amount was incorrect. If you are only speaking directly to one of the parties, how are you supposed to know which one? How does it OP know whether they received the proper refund?

This reminds me of a problem I had with a medical bill. The provider billed me for a claim that my documentation showed had been paid by my insurer. I called the provider, they said they didn't receive payment. I told them I had a claim form that said it was paid. They said they would call my insurer. A few weeks went by and I got another bill. I called my insurer, they said they paid it and had a canceled check, and they would contact the provider. A few weeks later, I got another bill from the provider. I called the provider and they said they hadn't received payment. After numerous calls, I got the insurer and the provider on the phone in a 3-way call. Turns out the insurer paid the wrong provider.

I know my situation isn't exactly the same as the OP's. Here's the similarity: had I left the insurer and the provider to clear this issue up, I would have had to pay the bill to prevent my account from being turned over to a collections agency. So, if I let other parties handle my dispute and did not get involved, I would have been the one penalized. Fortunately, I was able to speak to both parties so the penalty was avoided. The OP is letting the TA and NCL handle this dispute, and the OP is the one who is being penalized if indeed the wrong amount was refunded.

Archived