Grandeur Cruise Ending in Colon, Panama

I've noticed that Grandeur has some cruises that begin and end in Colon, Panama. Has anyone ended their cruise in Colon? If so, how smooth is debarkation in Colon, getting a taxi, etc. and where does one get their flight back to the states?

We are looking at a TA on Grandeur in the fall of 2011 which begins in Spain and ends in Colon but we are hesitant about how Colon handles a ship full of people that needs transportation, hotels, flights, etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm booked on the Grandeur next March for a cruise that goes out of and returns to Colon. Check out the Columbia thread for lots of information. I'm using "myfriendmario" for transportation to the ship and back to the airport, as recommended on that thread. They also have excursions, hotel recommendations, etc. on the "myfriendmario" website.

I've noticed that Grandeur has some cruises that begin and end in Colon, Panama. Has anyone ended their cruise in Colon? If so, how smooth is debarkation in Colon, getting a taxi, etc. and where does one get their flight back to the states?

We are looking at a TA on Grandeur in the fall of 2011 which begins in Spain and ends in Colon but we are hesitant about how Colon handles a ship full of people that needs transportation, hotels, flights, etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

The greatest selection of hotels as well as the international airport, (Tocumen, PTY) are all on the Pacific side in and around Panama City. I have not read anything on these boards about what transfers RCI may offer, however over on the Panama Canal board (also mentioned in a previuos post) a lot of people have used My Friend Mario. While I have not used them most people give him good revues, they offer tours as well as transfers between hotel, ship and airport.

Under normal traffic it would be about an hour and a half to airport.

PS: There is a Radisson in Colon near the pier but I have not heard of anyone staying there. Colon is really not a "tourist" town, it's OK in a taxi or a tour but not a place to strike out on your own.

My group of 20 people is doing a repositioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Colon in november. The prices are very good for this cruise. As for transportation, I am currently negotiating a nice tour/ transfer from cruise terminal to our hotel with "myfriendmario". So far, they have been extremley easy to work with (all over email) and prices are affordable, and they are very willing to customize a tour to go wherever we want. I will find out how it goes in November, but the reviews are good, so i dont have any reservations about booking with them.

We are spending 1 day/night in Panama before flying back to the states. I booked that night in the Gamboa Rainforest Resort, which is between Colon and Panama City.

Archived