Visa needed for a stop in Prague?

LLD

we were in Prague last October at the conclusion of our Blue Danube Discovery river cruise with Avalon. We DID NOT need a visa. Always best to check the latest information though in case requirements have changed in the past day or two :rolleyes:

The Czech Republic is part of the Schengen Community. Therefore you don´t need an extra visa besides that which is stamped in your passport at the airport of your arrival. In the meantime Hungary is also part of the Schengen Community. So all of your river cruise between Budapest and Prague is within the Schengen Community. Therefore no passport controls except for that at your airport of arrival.

steamboats

Thanks everyone for your input. Will check for updated visa requirements but had originally thought visas were needed..

While on the subject of requirments--awhile back I remember reading somewhere that a certain type of medical insurance was needed if you were taking a river cruise to Prague and/or Budapest. It said something to the effect that proof of medical coverage in those areas was required. Anyone ever hear of this?

Thanks again!!

yes, that's the story. I just called my insurance company at time of booking and told them I needed additional coverage for the Czech Republic and they were able to modify it accordingly for the dates we were in the C/R. easy peasy

According to the US State Department, travelers to the Czech Republic need proof of medical insurance in the amount of $45,000 and proof in the form of a credit card to show that they can support themselves while they are there. (CR doesn't need foreigners who want medical expenses, etc. paid for by the government - maybe we should learn something from them). Our travel insurance, upon request, sent us what they called a Schengen letter, which stated that we had the required coverage. Some of us are on medicare, which does not pay out of the country, and others just bought an upgrade of the medical part of our travel insurance to get to the required amount. If you have an insurance card that says what coverage you have, then that should do. But ,after all this, we did not need to show anyone our letters, nor have we ever heard of anyone else who was questioned about this. There is another thread on this board which discusses this, and someone there stated that there is an agreement somewhere which releases US citizens from these requirements. That's what I know....I am not making any recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a glorious five days in Prague this July and simply entered the country with no need to prove much of anything, much less self-sufficiency or proof of medical insurance. Mind you, I arrived via train from Vienna, your mileage may differ if arriving to Prague via air or boat. In my case, I simply exited the train and hopped a cab to my hotel. No questions asked, no questions answered. BTW you will love Prague, there is something very magical about that city:)

If I were to obtain travel insurance and it covered medical emergencies (top of the line if I booked through say Avalon Waterways) would that be sufficient? I could not imagine calling my regular medical insurance company and asking for additional coverage because I am going to another country! My insurance stinks in the first place! I do not event hink they would be able or willing to do this!

Amazing though how other countries say we need this and that and want us to show we have medical coverage and sufficient funds to be in their country!! It is not a bad idea but too bad the U.S. doesn't adopt this policy!!!

LLD, please don't insure with the line on which you are travelling. There are online sites that will give you choices of insurers. One is insure my trip dot com--no spaces. I know there are others, but can't recall the names. Am sure that someone will chime with more help. If you insure with your cruise line and they go under, you have no recourse. That is the main reason many of us choose not to do that. Pat

Another reason not to buy insurance through the cruise line is that they will very frequently give you credit for a future cruise instead of your money back if you have to cancel. And if you happen to be doing a pre or post extension on your own, cruise insurance won't cover that.

I'm not sure you are making a deal when you buy travel insurance. You need to compare all the details to get the best choice for yourself. You would do well to read reviews of companies if you can find any. I think you get more coverage if you pay more and vice versa. I was most interested in trip cancellation that covered pre-existing conditions....there are time requirements for buying that....have to read the details.

I also need medical coverage because Medicare does not pay outside the country. I happened to buy increased coverage up to $50,000 on my last trip and was glad I did, as the Czech Republic requires $40,000 and, even though I didn't need to prove it or use it, I was safe. If you are going to a remote area, you might need to consider increased evacuation coverage, in case you a need costly trip home for some reason.

There are lots of details to consider beside the price. Try the sites mentioned previously and they will provide charts for you to compare coverages and prices between the various companies.

All of you have been so helpful! Thank you so much for your advice,insight and helpful ideas that have really "made me think about those things!!!" I will check out those web-sites.

Archived