Time in Fairbanks question

Libbywithnall

When we originally planned our cruise tour we planned doing Banff and Lake Louise from Vancouver but it all got too hard with flights and the time we had - just one week. Instead we've decided to have a couple of days at Disneyland before flying to Fairbanks. This still gives us 4 days in Fairbanks plus the day with the cruisetour. Is this going to be too much? Or is there enough to do in the town - including some day trips out of town? We fly via Seattle so having a day or two there is also an option. Any advice is most welcome.

Libby

With your particular cruise tour which attractions are included?

We had 2 nights in Seattle first then arrived in Fairbanks one night early and had 2 nights with the cruise tour. Would you be interested in flight seeing? How about car rental? Which hotel are they using? If it's Sophie Station it's quite a walk to the nearest supermarket but doable if you're going to be there....the apartments are wonderful with someone else to do the washing up!

You are going next year?? In my opinion, this isn't a good overall plan. 4 days in Fairbanks, is a LOT, most people are good with 1 extra day. AND the major point I want to convey to you, is it definately could be FAR better used elsewhere with, most definately a superior routing than your cruisetour. It isn't just a matter of having these 4 "extra" days for someplace. Spread out, you could really have a GREAT interior Alaska visit. Another problem is, those same 4 days aren't going to get you much, together, and then having to be back in Fairbanks, nor is it a good idea to perhaps come into Anchorage and make your way to Fairbanks duplicating a route.

My overall advice to you would be to start over with your interior Alaska plans. Look at a better cruisetour, that spreads out your extra days, into more overall touring at varied destinations. OR, ditch the cruisetour and put together an awesome route yourself. I can understand not wanting to "drive", although it is pretty simple (I had no problem driving in your wonderful country :) :) and Alaska is easier. Also the Alaska RR could be an option.

Most people don't have enough time, or are very limited. I see you having the jackpot that is a big bonus. I only suggest you use it wisely and to the advantage of touring Alaska. My opinion only, it is a poor choice to dump it all on one end of a visit in a limited area.

Order yourself a map and some literature from Fairbanks and surrounding areas. Four days just for Fairbanks is probably a lot but if you have your own transportation, you can make it work by getting out into the more remote, less frequented areas and see more "Inland Alaska". Good luck with your planning.

If you want to see wildlife, go to Denali for a few days. Even if it is included on your cruisetour, you can take the shuttle bus out to Wonder Lake or Eielson and maximize your wildlife time. Otherwise, I would recommend a trip to the Arctic Circle, Chena Hot Springs, or a trip down the Richardson.

Thanks for all the advice. I obviously have a lot more thinking to do. Driving and doing the cruisetour on our own is a good option - DH has done plenty of driving in the USA. We recently hired a motorhome and toured the UK so that would also be something to consider. Thanks again, all your input is very much appreciated.

Libby

If you want to see wildlife, go to Denali for a few days. Even if it is included on your cruisetour, you can take the shuttle bus out to Wonder Lake or Eielson and maximize your wildlife time. Otherwise, I would recommend a trip to the Arctic Circle, Chena Hot Springs, or a trip down the Richardson.

We had a couple extra days in Fairbanks and rented a car. Drove to Chena Hot Springs - pleasant if nice weather, but NOT a 'must see'. Visted the Univ.-AK-Faribanks Museum too - OK but just uses a couple hours. At the other end of trip we much enjoyed the Prince William Sound catamaran out of Whittier, link below. Good Luck.

http://www.26glaciers.com

• 2 months later...

We stayed in Fairbanks for 5 days prior to starting to head south to Seward. We did the gold panning, riverboat discovery, Pioneer Park, Creamer's Field, golf (rented clubs) and several of the museums.

But the most exciting thing we did was take a fly-out fishing trip for a full day. Cost less than $200 ea (US) to have the pilot fly us to a remote area of Alaska (Minto Flats) where he had several cabins to stay the night (if we wanted). Boats, motors, gas, fishing gear, etc all were available. We spent 8 hours boating around interior Alaska, fishing and taking pics of wildlife and flora/fauna. Highly recommend it. Plus the cost can't' be beat.

http://akpikefishing.com/

Go Cats

• 2 weeks later...
We stayed in Fairbanks for 5 days prior to starting to head south to Seward. We did the gold panning, riverboat discovery, Pioneer Park, Creamer's Field, golf (rented clubs) and several of the museums.

But the most exciting thing we did was take a fly-out fishing trip for a full day. Cost less than $200 ea (US) to have the pilot fly us to a remote area of Alaska (Minto Flats) where he had several cabins to stay the night (if we wanted). Boats, motors, gas, fishing gear, etc all were available. We spent 8 hours boating around interior Alaska, fishing and taking pics of wildlife and flora/fauna. Highly recommend it. Plus the cost can't' be beat.

http://akpikefishing.com/

Go Cats

Did the captain happen to say when he started fishing for the season? We will be there in early June and everywhere else has told me it's too early for good fishing.

Archived